• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Madeira April (1 Viewer)

wheatear said:
Does anyone have any gen on Madeira early April. I wiil be there from 3rd on for a week.
Hi Wheatear.
Madeira, whilst a superb holiday destination is not blessed with the worlds best birdwatching.
If I remember rightly there are only about 40 breeding species on the island, this does though include some real gems.
I was there in July/August and managed 24 species in two weeks. It was a family holiday and not a birding trip but you would be hard pressed to exceed 40 IMO. However in April things may well be different!
One consideration which I would recommend would be a Whale/dolphin trip from Funchal. Close up views of Cory's Shearwater and Bulwers Petrel are a must as well as any whales etc.
In the harbour there are several operators with giant catamarans and even an imitation galleon. Avoid all these and go on the sailing ship called venturo do mar. the captain is a marine biologist and keen birdwatcher, he will be a great help.
Other special birds Noted were the long toed pigeon, present in the Laurel forests and Berthelots Pipit, Quite easy to find on grassy slopes etc.
You can always go in search of Zino's Petrel (not sure if april is a bit early) It is one of the worlds most endangered species, 30 or so pairs I think. It breeds high up in the mountains at about 1800metres. The only way up is with a licensed guide,about 80 Euros. It may be possible to hear their eerie wails as they come in after dark. I am going to give it a try next year when I go back.
The Madeira Firecrest is also fairly easy to see.
Let us know how you get on!

Mike

Madeira Gems

wheatear said:
Does anyone have any gen on Madeira early April. I wiil be there from 3rd on for a week.

In Madeira you will have 3 gems, zino's petrel, trocaz pigeon and firecrest. Though after reading recent trip reports, there are currently in Madeira: Bonaparte Gull, Sora and Green-winged teal.

By the way Zino's walk I paid 40 euros plus a park fee of 20 euros.
Have a read in Madeira Birdwatching...

Harold Harrison said:
In Madeira you will have 3 gems, zino's petrel, trocaz pigeon and firecrest. Though after reading recent trip reports, there are currently in Madeira: Bonaparte Gull, Sora and Green-winged teal.

By the way Zino's walk I paid 40 euros plus a park fee of 20 euros.
Have a read in Madeira Birdwatching...

Harold.
How did you get on with the Zino's

Ventura do Mar is indeed the boat to use. No one has mentioned Fea's Petrel, perhaps because April is out of season for it (any petrels you see in April will most likely be Zino's). And don't forget Bulwer's Petrel (what a bird that is!), Madeiran Storm-petrel and Little Shearwater. You would most likely need a few boat trips to maximise the chances of getting all the birds.

April is a little early for some cetaceans, but the people at http://www.venturadomar.com will be able to fill you in. An overnight trip to Islas Desertas is a wonderful experience if you can get there (the Ventura goes there if there are enough people) and your biggest chance of Madeiran Storm-petrel.

If you go to the Zinos' Petrels at night (I think they are there by April, but I've not been in that month), try and get a night with some moonlight. I was able to see not only the birds but also their plumage patterns by moonlight (white belly with dark underwings and the dark 'M' on the upperwings). It's still a fine experience hearing birds come in even if you can't see them well. You should see shapes in the dark and may even have them pass close enough to hear the rush of air through the wings, even without moonlight. I've twice been with Amílcar Vasconcelos of Madeira Aventura. Great bloke, and it was Frank Zino who first put me in touch with him (what better recommendation is there?).

Enjoy your trip.

John

Just out of interest, I agree that the Ventura do Mar is the best option but I was there once when she wasn't available--the best alternative is the Catamarans, they are happy to go well offshore and really try hard to find Whales and Dolphins.

Last edited:
I am considering an autumn trip but I want to ask one vital question.

I am profoundly deaf so I want to know if you see enough in autumn on sea or up in the mountain to come away happy that you saw Zino's?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back