• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

50D Has Canon Got It Right (1 Viewer)

If anybody is interested there is a full review of the 50D on the dpreview site now:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos50d/

Ron
Thanks for posting Ron.
Must say that the conclusions are disappointing.
High ISO noise worst than the 40D
Reduced dynamic range in the shadow areas compared to EOS 40D
Live view not as accurate as on 40D

And most importantly for me 'Per-pixel detail not as good as on good 10 or 12 megapixel cameras'. I was looking at the 50D as a way of cropping heavy to give a bit more apparent reach for web images but this would seem to indicate that the 50D is not going to give much of an advantage over the 40D.

I don't know whether the review will be done again they are in the process of redoing the photos they didn't use the final release of ACR 4.6. there seems to be a lot of disgruntled members.

I don't know whether the review will be done again they are in the process of redoing the photos they didn't use the final release of ACR 4.6. there seems to be a lot of disgruntled members.
The review has now been updated to include the final release of ACR 4.6. The cons remain the same as far as I can see.

Well, I am a bit disappointed, but not entirely surprised. Seems like the 15MP APS-C sensor simply is too much for today's technology. At lest the 50D has forced the price to drop on 40D here in Canada, so I'll probably go for that instead.

Thomas

Well, I am a bit disappointed, but not entirely surprised. Seems like the 15MP APS-C sensor simply is too much for today's technology. At lest the 50D has forced the price to drop on 40D here in Canada, so I'll probably go for that instead.

Thomas

I think we shall try to keep the matter in its proper perspective. The review from dpreview.com is only one out of many. And the persons making this review are not the person, who did make the review of the 40D. Different people looking with different eyes. Some sympathy or antisympathy can also play a role here. The reviewers choise of lens was a bit strange, not quit fair IMO.

Most of the other reviews are telling that the 50D is a nice upgrade of the 40D - with higher megapixel resolution, but maintaining this fine noise performance of the 40D.
This was the "truth" until this rieview from dpreview was released. :)

Other reviews :
Traumflieger review
Camera Labs review
Photography Blog reveiw
ePhotoZine
Roland review
Outback Photo
Imaging Resource

Reading all these reviews will give you a more true impression of the 50D - even better try one out yourself, when you have the opportunity. I will do that as soon as I can.....

Last edited:
Well said Websurfer, one report does not prove the case, one way or the other, the comment in Dp review about lens quality is however true, we must be getting to the point where lens resolving power limits the final results.

I have a 30D, 40D and a 50D. If anybody has any specific requests for some sort of comparative test I'll do my best to oblige within constraints of time, the weather, my lens collection and my skills. I think comparing BIF results would be tricky as setting up an equivalent and repeatable target between three bodies would be nigh on impossible.

My longest prime is the Canon 85/1.8 and my longest zooms are the 70-200 f/2.8 IS and 100-400. I have a Kenko 1.4X teleconverter. I only shoot raw and use DPP or Lightroom as the mood/results take me.

I don't have any "proper" 50D AI Servo BIF examples yet but I have been practicing on my running dog. You can see som AI Servo test results from my 40D and 50D in these two online albums....

40D - http://picasaweb.google.com/EezyTiger/Dog?authkey=RhdOSvdSstw#

50D - http://picasaweb.google.com/EezyTiger/50DRunningDogAF?authkey=blXc80qqe2w#

Here is a curiosity shot I took today with my 50D and my brand new 85/1.8 lens, to test the lens, the 50D AF and just how useable the image can be at the pixel level (heavy cropping). You will just about notice the crow in the centre of the frame. I have also provided a 100% crop. This was shot in AI Servo mode with AF engaged while tracking the bird. EDIT - I have not yet calibrated or focus tested the lens. This was a field trial straight out of the box. EDIT - EXIF is included but for convenience, this was shot at 85mm, 1/800, f/1.8, 100 ISO.

Last edited:
Still, the 100% crops on dpreview do tell a clear story (regardless who actually wrote the actual review). The RAW comparisons between 40D and 50D clearly indicate that the resolution advantage the 50D has over the 40D is minimal and no-where proportional to the increase in pixel count. The 50D may have other advantages over the 40D, but for me at least the bottom line is that the 50D would deliver files that are app. 50% lager (demanding more computer power for processing), but apparently with no real resolution increase. To me that doesn't seem to be worth the extra 600 $.

But perhaps this means that the megapixel war is finally coming to and end.

Thomas

Just maybe down to the lens resolving power, there has got to be a limit to what a lens will resolve within a small area.

I have now taken 1000 shots with my 50D.......with firmware 1.0.1 and I can only say as I find, I loved my 40D, but in my opinion the 50D is better, was it worth the money......YES!, I can remember quite a few cameras that people gave negative comments on when they were first released, and a lot of them did not even own one.

I find it better for iQ...Cropping...Screen...lens Correction...Slightly better focusing...Better Menu etc, I use it with Canon 100 400---Canon 24 105---and a wicked Tokina 12 24 and have found it to be great with all of these lens's.

I have noticed that how I used to process 40D raw files is not how I do 50D ones, I think this is a camera that you need to learn to drive.

Would I go back to a 40D......................................NO

But what I would say is, if you see a large print from a 50D you will be impressed believe me.

I am hoping the 50D will be useful for really heavy crops. The attached shows a full frame unprocessed shot and the final near 100% crop web image taken with the 40D.

If the 50D can resolve detail at 100% as good as this then I will certainly be buying one as it would give more perceived reach than the 40D. I am waiting to be convinced.

Attachments

• bw3.jpg
    bw3.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 178
  • bw2.jpg
    bw2.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 207
Roy,
thats what I call a good crop, and the detail is excellent, how do you define a 100% crop, i'm a thicko !!
Still tempted to get a 50d as an upgrade for a 20D which has done me proud.

Roy,
thats what I call a good crop, and the detail is excellent, how do you define a 100% crop, i'm a thicko !!
Still tempted to get a 50d as an upgrade for a 20D which has done me proud.
If you start with an image of say 3888 x 2592 pixels as on the 40D and you crop out a small part of the image, say 800 x 522 pixels and show this portion without any resizing then that would be a 100% crop, you are showing an actual 800 x 522 portion of the image as originally captured by the camera.

If you crop out say a 1200 x 800 pixel wide portion and then resize it for the web to 800 x 522 then this would be a heavy crop but not quite 100%. That's the best I can do to explain it.

I am sure that the 50D would be a great upgrade from the 20D without a doubt.
It is just that I am not sure that the 50D is much of an upgrade from the 40D - hope I am wrong.

I am hoping the 50D will be useful for really heavy crops. The attached shows a full frame unprocessed shot and the final near 100% crop web image taken with the 40D.

If the 50D can resolve detail at 100% as good as this then I will certainly be buying one as it would give more perceived reach than the 40D. I am waiting to be convinced.

Roy.You do not need to upgrade your camera.Great shot/crop.

Max.

Hi Roy

Your processing skills are better than mine but this is a quick job in DPP, please allow for motion blur as I was at 400mm with my 100 400 on the 50D, I am probably not the best person to show cropping, but the pics. will give you some idea, I know that you could have done better at PP, plus I am not the hottest at birds in flight, (steadily getting better) no noise reduction.

Attachments

• Raptor.JPG
    Raptor.JPG
    217.4 KB · Views: 203
  • Raptor 1.JPG
    Raptor 1.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 150
Looks good to me. I'm happy with my 50D, irrespective of reviews, and that is all that matters to me.

Off for a birding trip tomorrow for 3 days sh will, hopefully, try it extensively.

Phil

Hi Roy

Your processing skills are better than mine but this is a quick job in DPP, please allow for motion blur as I was at 400mm with my 100 400 on the 50D, I am probably not the best person to show cropping, but the pics. will give you some idea, I know that you could have done better at PP, plus I am not the hottest at birds in flight, (steadily getting better) no noise reduction.
that's pretty impressive Rob - some great detail from a heavy crop which is what I am looking for. Very very promising :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back