• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dslr bird video thread (1 Viewer)

ah thats not good news rob. I had expected it to not pick up the IS because its a directional mic.
did you get it with one of those fluffy covers? If that cuts out wind noise maybe it works for the IS motor as well?

Nice first vid colin. I like what you have done with the hollowed out bit of tree too.. I might nick that idea ;)

not fluffy but it came with a foam one .
The problem is that if fitted in the hotshoe its directly over the motor .
I just velcroed it to the end of my 500mm and it is better by around 50% less noise .
it is the IS motor for sure as theres NO sound with IS Off.
Rob.
eddit might be 65% less noise
Eddit again Now if i hold the mic as far away as i can from the lens its what i would call Pretty much ok .

Eddit Sorry
theres no way i can stop hearing the noise if the mic is in someway (apart from lead ) attached to the camera/monpod/tripod even with sponge as a dampner.
SO iv just ordered a 3m extention lead then i can stick it on a pole or something well away from the lens, i think this is the only way to make it work.

Last edited:
Thats great info Rob cheers.
Im sure many people will be coming up against this exact same problem with the sound.

thats quite a good result with the 2x what lens ?
Rob.

Wish i had tried it for longer but I was concentrating on trying to get a decent still at the time.
it was with the 500mmf4.

Scousemouse what shutter speed were you using on those videos?

very nice Next time turn the dishwasher of :)
I think we still shooters are finding sound to be a bit of a challange this being new to most of us but all very intresting and some good vids comeing through
Rob.

Fair point! and your identification of household appliances is worryingly accurate. Clips now edited/muted.

Moviemaker, which comes free with xp, seems to do a good job of simple merging, and editing clips. What do other people use?

theres no way i can stop hearing the noise if the mic is in someway (apart from lead ) attached to the camera/monpod/tripod even with sponge as a dampner.
SO iv just ordered a 3m extention lead then i can stick it on a pole or something well away from the lens, i think this is the only way to make it work.

What about a flash bracket - something like this might help?

Fair point! and your identification of household appliances is worryingly accurate. Clips now edited/muted.

Moviemaker, which comes free with xp, seems to do a good job of simple merging, and editing clips. What do other people use?

lol i have to much time on my hands .

I use pinacal studio 14 its about £50 and it does what i want to do.
Rob.

What about a flash bracket - something like this might help?

i made a bracket that fitted to my monopod and it still picked up the sound.
The best way to say what i meen is the sound is trasmitted like the guys that listen to water flow with a rod..
i think the ex lead will solve it.
Rob.

Wow! Rob that is brilliant, I had a big grin on my face while watching it, thinking how thrilled I would be if something like that turned up during filming. I would be shaking with excitement.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back