• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greetings Everyone! Question for Canon 100x400 users (1 Viewer)

Make sure that the diopter (view finder) is correctly set for your eyes.

AD

Well b****r me, I didn't know you could do that!! I've learnt something knew today. I should really go back & read the manual from cover to cover ;).

In theory could the pointers in this thread be applied to any zoom lens? I was thinking of applying them to my Tokina, which I know isn't as good a quality as the Canon, but they may give me a good starting point??

Richard

Richard,

yeah, the suggestions here are "across the board" advice - they'll work just as well for Tokina as any other brand of lens (although again, you need to find out for yourself what works best for you - nothing here is "the only way").

Here's another hint: if you're using your lens handheld, really put the effort into developing a sound technique - I always point people at this page round about now..!

I also have a few suggestions on my little website.

;)

Last edited:
(although again, you need to find out for yourself what works best for you - nothing here is "the only way").

Keith, agree 100% with this bit, and one of my aims for 2011 is to do exactly this, because there's no way I'll be able to buy a 100-400 this year!!

Thanks for the pointers to the websites as well, will be reading & digesting the contents.

Richard

Do any of you use the back button focus method?
Find it works well for me and cuts down on the out of focus shots a bit (need all the help i can get)

Sorry to stray off topic, but thought it might be of interest to the OP

Last edited:
Glad you agree its worth mentioning, in that case this explains it a bit more
http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=2286

I found this book to be of great help too http://www.amazon.com/Digital
Although its actually entitled Landscapes it has a wealth of useful information and where I first read of the above mentioned method. The author and his wife are actually well respected nature photographers and is in my opinion one of the best books I have ever read whatever your chosen genre might be

Thanks everyone... I have an entire classroom in this one topic, and tons of homework to boot! Hopefully I can get my work caught up so I can have dedicated study time!

can't help with anything since i am an Olympus user, i just stopped by to say that your shots are stunning i love them all specially the artistic setting for the dark eyed junco.

looking forward to seeing them posted in the gallery. and more form you.

all the best.

Im reading on with great interest as ive just ordered my 100-400L

So thanks guys n gurls for the info keep it coming as JWellman says there is plenty of homework in the pipeline when i get my lens some time real soon (i hope.... he says with his fingers crossed)

Surely, Adrian.

With these I did nothing special - I simply opened them in Photoshop CS 4 and applied a little bit of Smart Sharpen on a layer, then (on the Cardinal) erased the sharpening from the background to keep it smooth and clean.

Just my standard PP, really.

Keith, I heard about doing this before (or applying sharpening or other adjustments to a part of the image only). How do you do that? Tried as I have, I haven't figured out how to do it in CS2.

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

I'm not familiar with CS2 but I've checked the interwebs to make sure it supports duplicate layers, and sure enough...

So, what I do (and it's not the only way to get the same result, but this way works for me and it's easy to do) is:

With the image open in your editor, create a Duplicate Layer (Select "Layer" then "Duplicate Layer" from the menu bar).

Apply the required effect or filter (NR for example) to the whole Duplicate layer.

Toggle the background layer's visibility off ("Background copy" on top, click on the "eye" icon of "Background" in the Layer palette) then use the Eraser brush at a suitable size to quickly rub out the layer from over the bird and anything else you don't want the NR on.

The beauty of this is that there's no need at all for precision: getting the brush close to the edges of the bird is accurate enough.

Things should look something like the attached image.

When you're done with the brush, click the eye icon again, merge the visible layers, and you're done.

If you're applying sharpening, it's the same process, but you erase from areas of the image like the background around the bird.

Attachments

• dup_layer.jpg
    dup_layer.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 135
Great thread, guys. Good to see all the great advice in one place. Should be made a sticky - these queries come up time and again.

ce

Keith, I heard about doing this before (or applying sharpening or other adjustments to a part of the image only). How do you do that? Tried as I have, I haven't figured out how to do it in CS2.

Thomas
Layer mask's are useful for all sorts of selective adjustments including shadow/highlights, Blurring, sharpening, noise reduction, saturation,selective colour adjustments, contrast and just about anything else you want.
I create a duplicate layer as a matter of course for most of the adjustment I do - If you want to selectively apply the adjustment just just create the mask and paint away where you want the adjustment to apply, if you make a mistake just invert the brush colour and re-mask the part you made a mistake on. If you do not need an adjustment to be made selectively then do not create a mask. Either way just flatten the image when finished.
Layer masks are well worth using IMO and are really easy to learn.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back