• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Africa by Fry and Keith, info needed (1 Viewer)

tjbirder999

I am currently preparing a paper which involves biometrics of Cinnamon and Northern Masked Weavers. I have photocopies of the relevant sections of Birds of Africa Vol 7 by Fry and Keith, which include biometric measurements of both species. However, no sources are presented. I am wondering whether the authors may have made their own measurements for this publication, either from work in the field or museums. Presumably, this is discussed in the introduction to this volume, or possibly just in volume 1. However, I currently live in China and have no access to this series to look this up. Could someone with access to this, or an earlier volume, please check this for me? I would appreciate your help.
Thanks

Tom

The following is from Brown, Urban & Newman, 1982, vol. 1, p. 26: "Measurements are taken from standard works such as Cramp and Simmons (1977, 1980) [Birds of the Western Palearctic], McLachlan and Liversidge (1978) [Roberts Birds of South Africa] and Brown and Amadon (1968) [Eagles Hawks and Falcons of the World], supplemented by more recent data. Specific sources are quoted only if the information has been gathered from other works than these." No further general references are given in vol. VII.
You probably already know of these, but the specific references mentioned are:
G. R. Cunningham-van Someren 1971, Breeding of Ploceus badius (Cassin) in the Sudan. Bull. Br. Orn. Club, 91, 150-151.
W. M. Jackson 1992, Estimating conspecific nest parasitism in the Northern Masked Weaver based on within-female variability in egg appearance. Auk, 109, 435-443.
W. M. Jackson 1992, Relative importance of parasitism by Chrysococcyx cuckoos versus conspecific nest parasitism in the Northern Masked Weaver Ploceus taeniopterus. Orn. Scand., 23, 203-206.
W. M. Jackson 1993,Causes of conspecific nest parasitism in the northern masked weaver. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol., 32, 119-126.
W. M. Jackson 1998, Egg discrimination and egg-color variability in the Northern Masked Weaver. In "Parasitic Birds and their Hosts: Studies in Coevolution" (Ed. S. I. Rothstein and S. K. Robinson). 407-416. OUP, New York.

Last edited:
Thanks James. That is very useful. However, I don't believe that any of these sources have biometric data on these two weaver species. I assume the authors collected original data to fill the gaps in the literature, presumably from museum specimens.

Tom

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back