• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moult scoring - Ginn and Melville (1 Viewer)

tjbirder999

I am currently preparing a paper from a study of weavers in Sudan, and I refer to the use of moult-scores. I used the BTO system, scoring from 0 to 5, based on a pdf called 'Primary Moult' published online by the BTO bto.org. I would like to cite a source for this methodology, but would prefer to cite a book rather than an online publication. The BTO pdf states that the figures are reproduced from 'Moult in Birds' by Ginn and Melville. I don't have access to a copy of this book, as I currently live in China, so I was hoping someone could check it for me. I would like to know if the online version is a direct copy from the book (in which case I can just cite the book as the original source), whether the book has something similar (in which case I need to get a copy and check), or whether moult scoring is not covered by this book so that I need to cite the online source.
I would appreciate any help that can be offered in this.
Thanks

Tom

I am currently preparing a paper from a study of weavers in Sudan, and I refer to the use of moult-scores. I used the BTO system, scoring from 0 to 5, based on a pdf called 'Primary Moult' published online by the BTO bto.org. I would like to cite a source for this methodology, but would prefer to cite a book rather than an online publication. The BTO pdf states that the figures are reproduced from 'Moult in Birds' by Ginn and Melville. I don't have access to a copy of this book, as I currently live in China, so I was hoping someone could check it for me. I would like to know if the online version is a direct copy from the book (in which case I can just cite the book as the original source), whether the book has something similar (in which case I need to get a copy and check), or whether moult scoring is not covered by this book so that I need to cite the online source.
I would appreciate any help that can be offered in this.
Thanks

Tom

My 1983 copy of the book details the complete moult score process on page 28 but I suggest it would be sensible to contact the BTO direct to check their statement.

My 1983 copy of the book details the complete moult score process on page 28 but I suggest it would be sensible to contact the BTO direct to check their statement.

The 1983 book is the one I am referring too. Could you possibly check to see if the moult scoring in the book is the same as in the attachment below?
Thanks

Tom

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 6.53.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 6.53.59 PM.png
    102.1 KB · Views: 44
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back