• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White-fringed or Black-bellied Antwrens? Canudos, Brazil (1 Viewer)

tjbirder999

I recently photographed this antwren at Canudos, the Lear's Macaw site in North-east Brazil. I am tending more towards it being a Black-bellied Antwren, but I am still unsure. Black-bellied should have a thicker white supercilium, especially behind the eye, which this bird has, and less white on the flanks than White-fringed. However, although it looks quite clear in the books, it is not as straightforward when looking at photos online. This is not made easier by the fact that the White-fringed has been split by some authorities into a northern and southern version (Canudos would be the southern form).
If anyone has experience with either species, I would appreciate some input. I don't have any better photos, though I do have lots more from different angles as it moved through the undergrowth, if there are any particulate features needed to help the ID.
Thanks,

Tom

Attachments

• Antwren Canudos Oct 2019 1.jpg
    Antwren Canudos Oct 2019 1.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Antwren Canudos Oct 2019 2.jpg
    Antwren Canudos Oct 2019 2.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Antwren Canudos Oct 2019 3.jpg
    Antwren Canudos Oct 2019 3.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Antwren Canudos Oct 2019 4.jpg
    Antwren Canudos Oct 2019 4.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 10
I think it looks okay for Black-bellied Antwren, which would be the more expected species at Canudos too. Some good features include the black throat meeting the brown mantle and cutting off the white supercillium. Also the white tertial edges and white lower edge to the scapulars are better for Black-bellied.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back