• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

jenni & winkler (1 Viewer)

Thanks James

Woodchat Shrike, Masked Shrike, Magpie, Nutcracker, Carrion Crow, Waxwing, Sedge Warbler, Marsh Warbler, Grasshopper Warbler, River Warbler, Barred Warbler, Starling, Thrush Nightingale, Dipper, House Sparrow and Tree Sparrow.

I also came across this old BTO publication whilst browsing, it too is expensive but probably irrelevant now?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Moult-Guid...42ZTQRJC124&psc=1&refRID=8J8SNMP4E42ZTQRJC124

Last edited:
Wildsounds has this title as available from 16th Dec (tomorrow), doesn't say what the new species are, only that there are sixteen of them.

Best price I can see anywhere,............

http://www.wildsounds.com/cgi-bin/lo...=9781472941510

Thanks Andy.

I’m very tempted to get this in addition to the original given the price at the moment!

Re the BTO guide 19 - I’m sure these guides are still relevant and certainly collectable at some point I’d imagine. I have the Identification Guide to European Non-Passerines (BTO Guide 24) 1993 which I dip into - again, a bit outdated but provides full moult strategies for over 100 species. Lars Svensson’s Identification Guide to European Passerines 1970 is another bookshelf favourite of mine although again, the taxonomy is dated but the essence of the bird’s description and moult strategy remain valid.

James, Is it possible to say something about the quality of the pictures/printing?
Comparable to the first edition or more like the first edition reprint?

Steven Schoevaart

I'm not James, but if you read the interview referred to above, you also get to see sample pages. They ought to help answering your question. And if that is not enough, I cite here the end of the interview:
The book was printed in Switzerland, so we could supervise the printing. We are glad that the quality of the photographs is now ’pretty good’ (complying with English understatement) or ‘phenomenal’ (following American usage), and we hope that readers will feel the same. :t:

Dear Swissboy,

I would very much like to hear something from a user and not from the authors. Highly regarded they are off course for completing this magnificent book and task!!

Steven

I can confirm that the reproduction of photos is very good. Many photos are same as in the first edition, but look distinctly better now. I mean the original first edition, not the reprint, which I do not have at hand for comparison.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back