• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

kestrel or peregrine? West Wales (1 Viewer)

marnixR

WYSIWYG
i was told by a passer-by that there were three juvenile peregrines around the corner - i managed to take a selection of shots, but now that i have a look at them, i'm starting to have my doubts : it looks suspiciously like a kestrel

or do juvenile peregrines lack the facial markings of an adult ?

Attachments

• IMG_1868.JPG
    IMG_1868.JPG
    246.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1872.JPG
    IMG_1872.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 164
  • Img_1876.jpg
    Img_1876.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 44
thanks - i suppose the confusion may have come from another falcon that was flying overhead and which i think is more likely to be a peregrine (although the picture may not have sufficient detail for a definite ID)

Attachments

• IMG_1865.JPG
    IMG_1865.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 195
Hope you don't mind marnix but I lightened your flight image to see if that helps any.

Attachments

• IMG_1865a.JPG
    IMG_1865a.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 151
no problem

however, the following day i saw some (also juveniles) that i think are the real thing, just north of Abereiddy on the same portion of the Pembrokeshire coast

or am i deluding myself again ?

Attachments

• IMG_2083.JPG
    IMG_2083.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 144
  • Img_2088.jpg
    Img_2088.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 151
  • Img_2093.jpg
    Img_2093.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 54
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back