• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

fast 200mm lens (1 Viewer)

ammadoux

Registered doux
Hi all

would like to have a fast 200mm lens or larger (ZOOM OR PRIME) for my E620 any suggestions.

BTW my budget is not as high as the Zuiko 90-250mm.

another ting, what is the draw backs of the 800 mirror lens.

thanks all.

Zuiko Digital 50-200 f2.8-3.5 SWD it's a very good gear. I use it for birds (together with E-14 converter) and for large insects (butterflies, dragonflies etc). The price on amazon is around 1000 $ (and the price for 90-250 it's around 4900 $).

Last edited:
Hey Ammadoux,

I love my 50-200 SWD. It's a nice fast lens with beautiful bokeh and quick AF. For birds I add a EC-20 to get it out to 400mm. Sigma also makes a 70-200 f/2.8 which would be another alternative, but I'd take HQ Oly glass over Sigma anyday.

The Oly 70-300 is also a very decent lens, but if you can pony up the cash you'll be MUCH better off with the 50-200. You can often find a used non-SWD (slower focusing, but still very good optics) on eBay somewhere around $650-700.

Mirror lenses are tempting, but they have some real downsides. If you're not careful you can get very ugly bokeh. They tend to have slow f/ ratios. The central obstruction in a mirror lens throws off center & spot metering, as well as making use of a split prism focusing screen tough. Also, depending on what you're shooting, acquiring your subject at 300mm+ with a prime could be very tough. I usually keep the lens around 300mm, find the subject, zoom to 400mm and focus, then shoot.

What's most important is to have fun with whatever you do pick up! In birding patience and persistance is key. Enjoy! :t:

THANKS ALL sorry was a bit busy last week, yes i do like the results Christain is getting form the 50-200mm SWD lens, but frankly i posted this thread as i was wondering why no one here in BF from olumpus users is using the Sigma 70-200.f2.8. and another point why is it much more expensive than the Olympus's similar

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014RBYTE/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A1L9D0A8YQ4I2J

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-50-200mm-2-8-3-5-Digital-Cameras/dp/B000X1P5RE/ref=pd_cp_p_3

at the end i am happy with my bigma, and both are too heavy for me to take them on traveling to use handheld, i might consider the 150mm/f2.0, for later. but i was really puzzled with this price difference.

Dulce, I would say that the answer is in your question. I wouldn't buy such an expensive lens like Sigma 70-200 f2.8 only for one f stop...

Dulce, I would say that the answer is in your question. I wouldn't buy such an expensive lens like Sigma 70-200 f2.8 only for one f stop...

Actually the constant f2.8 is only 2/3 stop faster than the 50-200SWD at the long end (f3.5). I seem to remember this lens being cheaper than the Oly lens a couple of years ago, or was it just my mind playing tricks on me?

Steve

In terms of IQ I doubt vey much the Sigma will beat the Oly, do Sigma make the 70-200mm in 4/3rds fit though?.
The 50-200mm would be a superb lens for doing your flowers and butteflies with Doux. Unless of course you have your heart set on that Sigma 150mm macro, a brilliant lens in it's own right too.

Olympus used to make a 250mm f2 and a 350mm f2.8 in the OM fit but they probably wouldn't fit your camera.

Olympus used to make a 250mm f2 and a 350mm f2.8 in the OM fit but they probably wouldn't fit your camera.

LOL i do have OM4 and it is working brilliantly also a super fast 50mm/f1.2, and got in my freezer a couple of fujichrome velvia, guess now they are expired. well maybe will get it out when i get my summer vacation.

so you think the 150 fast macro, is a great lens.

Last edited:
If you don't mind using Legacy glass there is the excellent Vivitar Series 1 200 f/3 from the 1970s. I use the sibling 135 f/2.3 with fantastic results. Easiest adapter will be one of the m42 screw mount versions.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back