• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What internal cues stimulate molting? (1 Viewer)

AJP

I can't seem to find information readily online. Cornell simply says,

Molting occurs in response to a mixture of hormonal changes brought about by seasonal changes. The entire process is complex and many questions remain regarding how the process is controlled.

I don't need an incredibly detailed biological explanation, but I'm curious what hormones or other internal cues (not external, i.e. photoperiod) trigger molting. Can anyone direct me to literature about this, or answer directly?

The methodology behind moult in birds is hormonal but I think the OP is after the external reason/s behind the biochemistry. Day length is one of the most common reasons that I can think of, off hand, as well as decreasing levels of testosterone / oestrogen after the breeding season.

Chris, thanks for the response. I'm familiar with the external cues but was just wondering what hormones are released by the external cues. I honestly don't need to know for any one reason in particular, just curiosity. I'll hunt down an ornithologist friend next week and ask him.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back