• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow Bird in Easton, PA (1 Viewer)

Seconded, but please don´t use in future acronyms in this international forum if you can´t be sure that everyone is familiar with. Thank you.

Seconded, but please don´t use in future acronyms in this international forum if you can´t be sure that everyone is familiar with. Thank you.

Nothing wrong with using acronyms, IMO, as long as the OP post the country (ie. USA).

Agree with the ID, BTW.

PA = Pennsylvania and strictly speaking is a abbreviation not an acronym. I can see how the state codes might be a nuisance to foreigners but they are second-nature to us in the States and nobody here thinks twice about using them. I think it would be a lost cause to try to persuade American BFers to spell out the state names at this point.

US banding codes, now that's another matter. I wish people would stop using those on BF as the few seconds it takes to decode the less obvious ones for those of us who don't have them memorized can be a real annoyance. And besides they look ugly on the page!

Last edited:
[...] I think it would be a lost cause to try to persuade American BFers to spell out the state names at this point. [...]
It seems that the sticky
READ THIS BEFORE POSTING: Include Country and Location in title of your Thread
is also a lost cause?? At his first two requests "zschagrin" followed this plea, but in the other two not anymore.

Okay guys, lets try to remember back when you first joined and how daunting the size of this Forum was. A little patience please when it comes to new members.

Did he post the country? Simple answer: no

I was simple referring that abbreviations can be used and (in the future) including the country, would resolve your issue with abbreviating states.

And you have to realize, like KC said, the OP is a newbie, so lets give him/her some slack.

Acronyms / abreviations are fine as long as they don't include Salop, Glams, Nfk etc - and don't mention Jersey or WA. Right Josh? ;) Stonechat just explained, politely, that, as this is a global forum, not everyone is familiar with abbreviated US state designations. Nothing to throw your toys out of the pram over. :D

Chris

To me its obvious, firstly the op has a US flag under his name, 2ndly, he then uses an abreviation of 2 letters. It gets a bit silly if we criticise the obvious. Ok, the Canadians sometimes use the 2 letter abreviation, but they don't have a PA, AFAIK so its obviously in the US.

Acronyms / abreviations are fine as long as they don't include Salop, Glams, Nfk etc - and don't mention Jersey or WA. Right Josh? ;) Stonechat just explained, politely, that, as this is a global forum, not everyone is familiar with abbreviated US state designations. Nothing to throw your toys out of the pram over.

Not to mention Oxon, Cantab & the IOW. And I agree that too much is being made of this. I mean, WT*. ;)

[...] firstly the op has a US flag under his name,
This fact doesn´t say anything about the location where the photo has been shot.
2ndly, he then uses an abreviation of 2 letters.
How should one know that it´s not short for e.g. Pembrokeshire Area?
It gets a bit silly if we criticise the obvious.[...]
It´s a bit odd to expect of foreign birders that there are familiar with your postal codes, abreviations of states, etc.
Isn´t it enough that we use a foreign language to communicate here? Are we enforced to know your local habits too just because I asked kindly to follow the sticky?

If the answer on my question is "yes" then I can say only "Congratulations, you guys can be proud to drive off a very dedicated birder from the forum!"

PS.: Isn´t it strange that in almost every case when the sticky isn´t followed it´s a person who has English as his/her native language?

I don't think an abbreviation like PA is any more out of place than any abbreviation like US, as long as there is no really strong possibility of ambiguity (the Washington/Western Australia dicotomy is a good example). All that is required of people (i.e. those reading the post) is to apply a little thought, and a bit of fuzzy logic. That is, look at the "Location: United States" below the OPs name, and therefore assume that the "PA" refers to someplace in North America; look up if necessary. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Peter C.

I prefer, in fact, having people use "NJ" over "Jersey" - that tripped my up, briefly, on an ID thread a while ago. If you're going to spell it out, and omit the "New" in front, for pity's sake, do it phonetically: JOI-sey. |:p|

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back