• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pocket binocular < $150 (1 Viewer)

mmx

I Search binocular 8 x 25 type - for pocket jackets.
For daytime observations.
What will be better for brightless , clarity and sharpness of image -
Minolta Compact 8x25, MInolta sport mini 8x25?
What about MInolta 8x25 activa D WP XL?
Or something similar, but the price to $ 150?
(No Nikon's 8x25 with it 10mm - I'm in the glasses)

Last edited:
Tero said:
I have the Sport Mini, get it, very good.
I still like the Pentax DCF 8x25 in this price class.
Nikon Sportstar 8x25 is useable, 10x25 is not.

Thank you for link.
You wrote on this forum about Minolta's Compact porro 8-10x25 and Sport Mini roof 8x25
Are you compare it?
What binocular get more clear and sharp image?
brighter image ?

----------------------------------------------------------------
Pentax DCF 8x25 (roof prizm) is >$200 in Europe. 8-(
< 150$ - only Pentax porro (8 x 25 UCF, 8 x 25 UCF WP )

I only have the 8x25 sport mini, it has a very clear image for its price, did not see other Minoltas. All these Minoltas are what is left in the stores only, they are no longer being made.

Can anyone compare Minolta Compact porro (compact II super 8x25 ) and Nikon ProStuff 8x25 ?
What is sharper? better edges?

hello mmx, i have a pair of sumit 8x26 thay were a best buy in whitch magazien a couple of years ago,retailed about 80 gbp aprox 160 bucks. lovely to use ,bright image , preform well in poor light are robust. i would replace them with another pair. i think thay are well worth a look if you can find them

I do not have the 8x ProStaff, only the 9x. I suspect they are very similar, but I am pretty sure the MInolta SportMIni is not worse. It has a nice flat field, sweet spot is large for a cheap pocket binocular. In brightness, the ProStaff-Travelite 8x may be a bit brighter, as the Minolta may not have that good coatings etc.

By the way, the Travelite series by Nikon may not be the best reverse porro around. I have kind of given up on these, other than what I have, but someone could compare them to Pentax 8.5x Papillos.

Last edited:
I have recently purchased a pair of the 6.5x21 Papilios (Papilio's at Tecno.co.uk ), they are quite simply superb. They are as good as a normal reverse porro compact, with the added advantage that you can study ants as well as birds with the same pair of binoculars!! Name another pair of binoculars are as useful as that! Especially as I paid less than £60 for them. :cool:

I know that the 8.5's are just as good, having compared them to the Opticron Taiga's (8X25)and NikonTravelites (8x25) I would say that there is not a lot to choose between them all, with the Taiga just appearing to be a fraction sharper and brighter.

Paul

Agree

Paskman said:
I have recently purchased a pair of the 6.5x21 Papilios (Papilio's at Tecno.co.uk ), they are quite simply superb. They are as good as a normal reverse porro compact, with the added advantage that you can study ants as well as birds with the same pair of binoculars!! Name another pair of binoculars are as useful as that! Especially as I paid less than £60 for them. :cool:

Paul

Hi Paul

I fully agree with this post i too bought 6.5 x 21 Papilo compact bins and these are great fun
The close focus is astonishing and they appear pretty well built for the money
I paid around £57 inc P and P from same place and imho they are a bargain
As general use they have a nice detailed image and fair fov They do lose out at distance a little which is to be expected really
Also they are not quite as compact as some models

Highly recommended
RichT

Pocket tbinoculars seem to be pretty good for normal birding if the birds are not too far away. I have been looking across the river, and only the bigger binoculars work there, even 10x in my hand. At distances much closer, I can get away with 8x and 9x, and get some beneftit from 9x, but generally 8x is enough here. So you look for nice handling, wide fov etc. so you can at least find the bird with the little things. The ProStaff eye cups are very nice for a little bin, but the Minolta Sport Mini is still useable, screw out eye cups.

I got rid of 10x ProStaffs, too dim for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back