• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two great 7X42s... (1 Viewer)

chill6x6

Supporter
Summer is here and with the trees in full foliage along with the underbrush, vines, weeds, etc for the most part the 10X binoculars are staying on the shelf. The Swarovski Habicht 7X42B SLC has always been my go-to binocular this time of year. I've had it since 2008 and I've always thought it was a remarkable binocular. AMAZING sharp thru most of the FOV. So far it's done everything I've asked without a hiccup for eight years.

I've always wondered how it compared to other 7X42s but never gave in to purchase another. But here recently I've scratched that itch with a Zeiss FL 7X42. I bought this binocular used, or at least it SAID "used." It came with nothing BUT the case. But this binocular looks like it has hardly been TOUCHED. The second I unwrapped it I realized it was in fact in PRISTINE condition. I order some of the "Eagle Optics" lens covers and away I went.

So yesterday I took both binoculars along birding on a hot, dry July day. Indigo Buntings literally EVERYWHERE. I'm happy to report both binoculars do blue quite well! My first comment regarding these two binoculars is...WHY in the WORLD are they no long being MADE? I have no idea how "old" the FL 7X42 is. I believe it to be made pre-Lotutec, if that matters. But both binoculars are probably close to the same age I'm thinking. Both binoculars do everything "easy." Both are PERFECT for eyeglass wearers. Plenty of eye relief. In fact on both I had to screw the eyecups out a little bit. I was also quickly reminded how easy and second nature eye placement is with a 7X42.

A few observations of note.... Both binoculars are more ALIKE than DIFFERENT. BOTH have fast focus adjustment which is needed on a 7X binocular. Otherwise, you'll be going back and forth all day. They are both almost exactly the same size as you can see. Very Leica Ultravid-like in size. Image quality is excellent with both. I do believe I can tell the FL is a little brighter though not significantly so. The FL offers slightly more FOV(450 VS 420 ft, factory specs) though the SLC does offer a flatter image if you will. I could certainly tell the FL is lighter than the SLC, 27 ounces vs 34 ounces. That's a good bit of difference.

Overall...it's hard to find fault with either binocular. The panting great crested flycatcher that allowed me to view with both binoculars didn't seem to have a preference. These 7X42s really come into their own this time of year. It's hard to image why neither is no longer being made.

Yesterday left me wondering if I EVER needed more binocular than a 7X42. :t:

Attachments

• IMG_3004.jpg
    IMG_3004.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_3005.JPG
    IMG_3005.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 301
Excellent post Chuck, thanks for sharing. I've had my SLC for about 6 years now and it has never let me down, and is an absolute pleasure to use with a real wow factor. I had been thinking about making the switch to the FL due to the lower weight, but for the time being I will stick with it. Do you have any preference for use in low light? The SLC can easily be used well after sunset.

Last edited:

A few observations of note.... Both binoculars are more ALIKE than DIFFERENT. BOTH have fast focus adjustment which is needed on a 7X binocular. Otherwise, you'll be going back and forth all day. They are both almost exactly the same size as you can see. Very Leica Ultravid-like in size. Image quality is excellent with both.
. :t:

Nice write-up. I would love to look through the FL 7x42. I've only seen the 8x and I especially admire the little 8x32 FL.

But, I'm puzzled by your statement (bolded) about the focus adjustment.
The focus adjustment on 7x should be less than higher powers due to better DOF. My Uvid 7x42 has good DOF and I need to adjust focus less
than I did with any 8x I owned. I find fast focus not needed so much for lower power bins.

Last edited:
Hello Chuck,

Great post! I have both of them. Optically there really isn't much difference between them. I notice the weight difference most when I use mine.

You can tell if your Zeiss has Lotu Tech if you see a curved line over the "42" on the 7x42 T* FL printed on the hinge underneath the left objective tube.

I like the 7x42 format! I have 5 of them including a Leica 7x42 Trinovid BN; an inexpensive Leupold 7x42 BX-2 Cascade and an old Leitz 7x42 Trinovid BN with Uppendahl prisms which introduced me to the joys of using a 7x42 binocular about 30 years ago.

I purchased my Swarovski 7x42 SLC B as a Demo from Eagle Optics in Jan. 2012. It was made in 2006 according to its SN. Almost a year later I got my Zeiss Victory 7x42 FL T* Lotu Tech from the same place at a closeout price after it was discontinued. I had good savings on both of them.

The Zeiss arrived on Dec.31, 2012 and the first bird I saw with it was on New Years day 2013 at 8:00 AM. It was a Red-tailed Hawk perched in a tree in my neighbors yard.

I prefer using the Zeiss over the Swarovski primarily because of its lighter weight. It also is brighter to my eyes than the Swarovski is. Both are excellent for long distance Hawk Watching with their wide fields and when they are used following small birds through nearby forest canopies.

I can see the difference in their FOVs if I look for it but in practical use it is not really noticeable. The Zeiss has about 1/2º wider FOV than the Swarovski does.

Bob

Last edited:
Really sad I sold my 7x42 T*FL, to be honest. Medical issues came up and forced me to do so, but I really regret it. It was the brightest, 'clearest' view I've seen with no problematic CA in 99% of situations to me. It was also very ergonomically pleasing being fairly lightweight and with the old-school hinge.

Never tried the SLC B, but have viewed through the 8x42 HD and WBs, both of which were fantastic.

Excellent post Chuck, thanks for sharing. I've had my SLC for about 6 years now and it has never let me down, and is an absolute pleasure to use with a real wow factor. I had been thinking about making the switch to the FL due to the lower weight, but for the time being I will stick with it. Do you have any preference for use in low light? The SLC can easily be used well after sunset.

I've actually used the SLC from before sunrise to well after sunset. I have not had enough time to compare the two in low light...maybe coming up! And THANKS!

Nice write-up. I would love to look through the FL 7x42. I've only seen the 8x and I especially admire the little 8x32 FL.

But, I'm puzzled by your statement (bolded) about the focus adjustment.
The focus adjustment on 7x should be less than higher powers due to better DOF. My Uvid 7x42 has good DOF and I need to adjust focus less
than I did with any 8x I owned. I find fast focus not needed so much for lower power bins.

This is going to be hard for me to explain...B :)

And YES....7X needs less focusing because of the greater depth of field BUT that's ALSO why 7X needs a faster focus than does say 10X. At 10X a slower focus is not as much of an issue because it's easier to tell if you are EXACTLY focused or not. Slower focus adjustment on 7X(at least for ME) I feel like I'm just rolling around and never get it RIGHT. I had another binocular back at the truck that happens to be a 7X that didn't go birding BUT I played with it a while. The difference between the FL/SLC and IT was eyeopening.

Hello Chuck,

Great post! I have both of them. Optically there really isn't much difference between them. I notice the weight difference most when I use mine.

You can tell if your Zeiss has Lotu Tech if you see a curved line over the "42" on the 7x42 T* FL printed on the hinge underneath the left objective tube.

I like the 7x42 format! I have 5 of them including a Leica 7x42 Trinovid BN; an inexpensive Leupold 7x42 BX-2 Cascade and an old Leitz 7x42 Trinovid BN with Uppendahl prisms which introduced me to the joys of using a 7x42 binocular about 30 years ago.

I purchased my Swarovski 7x42 SLC B as a Demo from Eagle Optics in Jan. 2012. It was made in 2006 according to its SN. Almost a year later I got my Zeiss Victory 7x42 FL T* Lotu Tech from the same place at a closeout price after it was discontinued. I had good savings on both of them.

The Zeiss arrived on Dec.31, 2012 and the first bird I saw with it was on New Years day 2013 at 8:00 AM. It was a Red-tailed Hawk perched in a tree in my neighbors yard.

I prefer using the Zeiss over the Swarovski primarily because of its lighter weight. It also is brighter to my eyes than the Swarovski is. Both are excellent for long distance Hawk Watching with their wide fields and when they are used following small birds through nearby forest canopies.

I can see the difference in their FOVs if I look for it but in practical use it is not really noticeable. The Zeiss has about 1/2º wider FOV than the Swarovski does.

Bob

Hey Bob, THANKS!

The SLC feels like a brick after using the FL for a while. Especially noticeable since they are VERY similar in size. But I'm USED to this brick! ;)

So I'm not sure exactly when Lotutec was introduced to the FL series... I'm thinking I read 2008 somewhere? So that would make my 7X42 a 2004 to 2008 model? If that's the case the optics are amazing for a binocular that is around 10 years old...still competing with the best.

FYI... I actually MEASURED the FOV of both binoculars at 100yds then X10 just for fun. Their listed specs are CORRECT! No surprise I'm sure...

Soo....
FL 7X42 448 ft @ 1000yds (listed at 450)
SLC 7X42 423 ft @ 1000yds(listed at 420)

I was amazed that I was so CLOSE to listed specs!

Don't worry...a nice 7X42 Trinovid is on "my list!"

And YES....7X needs less focusing because of the greater depth of field BUT that's ALSO why 7X needs a faster focus than does say 10X. At 10X a slower focus is not as much of an issue because it's easier to tell if you are EXACTLY focused or not. Slower focus adjustment on 7X(at least for ME) I feel like I'm just rolling around and never get it RIGHT. I had another binocular back at the truck that happens to be a 7X that didn't go birding BUT I played with it a while. The difference between the FL/SLC and IT was eyeopening.

I think I understand what you are saying in terms of fine tuning. For me, fast focus with lower power bin makes that worse, as I'll keep overshooting and then going back to try and get it right and it's too much fine tuning to get it to optimal focus. A fast focus in general feels a bit annoying to me for fine tuning while a slower focus makes it easier for me to snap the subject into view.

I used to have the Opticron Traveller 6x32 and it had very fast focus. It just seemed like overkill to me because you already don't have to travel the focus much due to the DOF...add a fast focus and I was overshooting constantly. Troubador tells me to overshoot on purpose then dial it back, but with my experiences with slower focus bins (which I prefer) I am able to bring it into focus pretty easy without having to do it that way. Everyone has their preferences. :)

I've never had a 10x, but maybe a faster focus would be ok with a higher power bin to get far things in focus with less travel (quicker). And, due to shallow DOF (compared to lower power bins) I may not be able to get on the small fast moving birds quick enough if the focus is on the slow side. I don't have any real experience with 10x though.

Last edited:
Hey Bob, THANKS!

The SLC feels like a brick after using the FL for a while. Especially noticeable since they are VERY similar in size. But I'm USED to this brick! ;)

So I'm not sure exactly when Lotutec was introduced to the FL series... I'm thinking I read 2008 somewhere? So that would make my 7X42 a 2004 to 2008 model? If that's the case the optics are amazing for a binocular that is around 10 years old...still competing with the best.

FYI... I actually MEASURED the FOV of both binoculars at 100yds then X10 just for fun. Their listed specs are CORRECT! No surprise I'm sure...

Soo....

Chuck,

The Leica 7x42 Trinovid is the "original brick!":eek!: Heavy, very solid and relatively compact. The Rocky Marciano of Binoculars!:king:

Mine came with that neat little zip up leather case that can also be worn with the binocular while using it. My 8x42 Ultravid Blackline fits loosely in it. I have kept it in top condition with applications of a good leather preservative.

Bob

Hey Bob, THANKS!

Soo....

Zeiss introduced Lotutec coatings in 2007, and I suspect you would
not notice any difference in the optics.

You could find out the year of mfr. by calling Zeiss with ser. #.

Enjoy your 7x42.

Jerry

Really sad I sold my 7x42 T*FL, to be honest. Medical issues came up and forced me to do so, but I really regret it. It was the brightest, 'clearest' view I've seen with no problematic CA in 99% of situations to me. It was also very ergonomically pleasing being fairly lightweight and with the old-school hinge.

Never tried the SLC B, but have viewed through the 8x42 HD and WBs, both of which were fantastic.

I wish I had bought that sucker from you at the time too. I like that GREEN! At the time...I was binocular POOR! Nothing has changed in that respect either!

I really like the FL. Better than I thought I would. Something about it.

I think I understand what you are saying in terms of fine tuning. For me, fast focus with lower power bin makes that worse, as I'll keep overshooting and then going back to try and get it right and it's too much fine tuning to get it to optimal focus. A fast focus in general feels a bit annoying to me for fine tuning while a slower focus makes it easier for me to snap the subject into view.

I used to have the Opticron Traveller 6x32 and it had very fast focus. It just seemed like overkill to me because you already don't have to travel the focus much due to the DOF...add a fast focus and I was overshooting constantly. Troubador tells me to overshoot on purpose then dial it back, but with my experiences with slower focus bins (which I prefer) I am able to bring it into focus pretty easy without having to do it that way. Everyone has their preferences. :)

I've never had a 10x, but maybe a faster focus would be ok with a higher power bin to get far things in focus with less travel (quicker). And, due to shallow DOF (compared to lower power bins) I may not be able to get on the small fast moving birds quick enough if the focus is on the slow side. I don't have any real experience with 10x though.

GiGi, I'm kinda on board with Chuck here, and kinda not! :h?: :-O

The reason I prefer 8x over 7x is because with the greater dof of the 7x I'm never quite sure just where the best focus is. Admittedly my 7x days were with a whopping great heavy porro with a narrow gutted field of view, stiff focus, and heaps of CA :eek!: (so precisely none of the advantages of a good 7x then! :) It drove me a bit nuts to continually think if I just moved the focus wheel a bit then I could have a better image, only to finally succumb to the temptation and then find that I should have moved it the other way! most annoying ! haha haha :)) :cat:

With the 8x I like a fast focus so that I can zip from close in geewhizzits to distant raptors rapidly. It seems that people are either like me = Rock n Rollers, ie happy to sometimes overshoot the focus point and then backtrack to it secure in the knowledge that there are no greener pastures ....... or like Brock (where is he?) and you seem to be, able to instinctively sneak slowly up to the focus point and know when you've hit it, with no nagging doubts urging you to move the wheel just a bit more ! :-O

I'm still searching for that elusive perfect smooth quick focuser with no backlash or hysteresis, so that I can settle down and put the Rock n Roll days somewhat behind me ...... 3:)

With a 10x though, I agree with Chuck, that a somewhat slower (though not slow) focuser is better, since with the shallower dof, it's all to easy to go flying by the focus point otherwise :t:

You two lucky ducks should enjoy your alpha 7x's though, it seems like you've each got the perfect focusers on your bins for your preferences :t: ..... :))

Chosun :gh:

Oh you probably have a 7X or three!

Only the one at the moment, UV+, I really liked the FL but it was out of reach at the time, the fact it is a little smaller than the 8 & 10 was appealing to me as well, one of the few things that put me off the SF is its length.

Same with the Swaro SLC, loved the 7x but could not afford it back in 2008.

I would like to add a 7xFL to my bins at some time, although a 7x42 EDG would be my priority second Alpha seven.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back