• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Ultravid vs HD-Plus versions (1 Viewer)

I am stumped by this, I can understand about the green armor, they did not save any, (Zeiss FLs the same story, a green armored one that needed a face lift would get black armor as a replacement). They, Leica, likely thought that to really get to the focus mechanism they had to remove the armor, and if they screwed it up, no green replacement - if they removed the armor, they could put black armor on it however you would be $%%^&* off since you wanted to keep the green, so IMO they never did anything to the focus. The red HD is befuddling, I have no idea why they would do that. Hopefully an explanation to you from Leica in the near future.

Andy W.

Hi John,
I am not convinced that you change only armour color. I think you get a full replacement to an HD?? (I think that is is easier for leica to 'just replace' a faulty Equipment rather than spend time to fix it (and keep Customer happy).
To be sure, I would suggest you to ask Leica to mention what they have made on this scope (repair, replacement, switch, ...). You can simply tell them that you are traveling a lot and at Customs (or for insurance declaration) you need to prove:
1- It is yours (OK)
2- invoice corresponds to the item (otherwise, custom could suspect that you bought this item else where in the world to avoid taxes.... and they could charge you 20 or 30% of taxes, corresponding to VAT+).

In theory, Case 2 it is quite rare, but it is someting you can mention to Leica to force them to justify what they have done.
Good luck (please keep us informed!)
Yves

I have a theory, only anecdotal evidence, that once an Ultravid leaves the factory with a faulty focuser (the original BRs were terrible for this), it can't be fixed. If you want an Ultravid it's critically important that you test the example yourself.
That would explain every experience I've heard either way, and is an excellent recommendation. We have two recent Leicas (10x32 HD+, 10x42 Trinovid BR) with this mechanism, both of which continue to work perfectly. I haven't heard any report of one developing focus problems.

Note how there's a red sealing ring visible on the green (non-HD+) focusing assembly, which isn't evident on the black HD+...The green HD now has very minimal play, but the mechanism (focuser and dioptre aduster) moves considerably back and forth if you wiggle it. Not convinced of its waterproofness.
The red ring is on your HD+ too; when visible it's meant to warn you that you have the diopter popped out for adjustment, and that state isn't waterproof. Are you sure the diopter knob is firmly seated, and can it be? Do you actually have a faulty diopter mechanism interacting with the focuser? (Not sure what plane your "wiggle" occurs in...?)

Last edited:
That would explain every experience I've heard either way, and is an excellent recommendation. We have two recent Leicas (8x32 HD+, 10x42 Trinovid BR) with this mechanism, both of which continue to work perfectly. I haven't heard any report of one developing focus problems.

The red ring is on your HD+ too; when visible it's meant to warn you that you have the diopter popped out for adjustment, and that state isn't waterproof. Are you sure the diopter knob is firmly seated, and can it be? Do you actually have a faulty diopter mechanism interacting with the focuser? (Not sure what plane your "wiggle" occurs in...?)

I think you're right. I haven't noticed any deterioration in the focuser of my black HD+.

I didn't make my point very well about the red O-ring. As you say, the ring is concealed on the HD+ when the dioptre mechanism is pushed firmly home. Not so with the HD - it's still clearly visible, which suggests something isn't seating as it should. The dioptre mechanism itself works OK (but is quite slack). What is concerning is the movement of the whole mechanism, i.e. the focuser and the dioptre adjuster. By this I mean that it moves back and forth along the axis of the hinge, if that makes sense. It doesn't seem to be more than maybe one or two millimetres, but feels alarmingly slack.

I think I'm going to re-open this case with Leica.

I didn't make my point very well about the red O-ring. As you say, the ring is concealed on the HD+ when the dioptre mechanism is pushed firmly home. Not so with the HD - it's still clearly visible, which suggests something isn't seating as it should. The dioptre mechanism itself works OK (but is quite slack). What is concerning is the movement of the whole mechanism, i.e. the focuser and the dioptre adjuster. By this I mean that it moves back and forth along the axis of the hinge, if that makes sense. It doesn't seem to be more than maybe one or two millimetres, but feels alarmingly slack.
This is just where my thought was going... it looks like your diopter knob won't fully seat and lock, which could naturally introduce some looseness along the whole assembly. (Not sure what you mean by "slackness", but this diopter mechanism does normally have a very light feel in rotation. Is it any different than your HD+?)

This is just where my thought was going... it looks like your diopter knob won't fully seat and lock, which could naturally introduce some looseness along the whole assembly. (Not sure what you mean by "slackness", but this diopter mechanism does normally have a very light feel in rotation. Is it any different than your HD+?)

Just had another look. With the HD+, the dioptre mechanism, whilst feeling light, works progressively and evenly. With the HD there's a big 'flat' spot, where nothing happens. It is possible to get a satisfactory setting, but the operation is inferior in every way to that of the HD+.

I've emailed Leica, saying I've no confidence that they can ever fix my instrument (something I should probably have done some time ago), and that I'd like a new, factory HD+ in replacement. Will post again in the light of developments.

By the way, many thanks for your interest and good counsel, tenex.

Cheers
John

Just had another look. With the HD+, the dioptre mechanism, whilst feeling light, works progressively and evenly. With the HD there's a big 'flat' spot, where nothing happens. It is possible to get a satisfactory setting, but the operation is inferior in every way to that of the HD+.

I've emailed Leica, saying I've no confidence that they can ever fix my instrument (something I should probably have done some time ago), and that I'd like a new, factory HD+ in replacement. Will post again in the light of developments.
I just read this thread again and since I'm having trouble reaching Leica, wondered if you'd ever had any luck finding satisfaction to your focuser issues?

I just read this thread again and since I'm having trouble reaching Leica, wondered if you'd ever had any luck finding satisfaction to your focuser issues?
I've had dealings with Leica NJ twice this past year (diff binos, both 20-45 yrs years old). In both instances, email and phone communications were absolutely excellent. Are you contacting the NJ offices?

I've had dealings with Leica NJ twice this past year (diff binos, both 20-45 yrs years old). In both instances, email and phone communications were absolutely excellent. Are you contacting the NJ offices?
Just tried again and they answered almost immediately! Now waiting for return authorization...

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back