• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

older vs new Nikon Monarch 5 binoculars (1 Viewer)

I have the chance to pick up some Nikon Monarch 5 8x42 binoculars for what sounds like a fair price. They are older - they look like this. I believe this model had dielectric coatings but not ED glass.

Are these binoculars a good value for under $150 USD? How much of an improvement was the updated model with ED glass? These binoculars seem to have been well reviewed when they first came out.

Thanks for your advice!

I have the chance to pick up some Nikon Monarch 5 8x42 binoculars for what sounds like a fair price. They are older - they look like this. I believe this model had dielectric coatings but not ED glass. Are these binoculars a good value for under $150 USD? How much of an improvement was the updated model with ED glass? These binoculars seem to have been well reviewed when they first came out. Thanks for your advice!

That photo looks like a new, unused binocular right out of the box. So the first question: Is it a stock photo, or a photo of the actual item?

I have the chance to pick up some Nikon Monarch 5 8x42 binoculars for what sounds like a fair price. They are older - they look like this. I believe this model had dielectric coatings but not ED glass.

Are these binoculars a good value for under $150 USD? How much of an improvement was the updated model with ED glass? These binoculars seem to have been well reviewed when they first came out.

Thanks for your advice!

I have the same or very similar pair (there's no 5 or whatever it is on the badge after MONARCH). For me they have a better external build quality than the M7 I had, a very nice focus, narrow FOV by spec but not a big drama in use.
Overall I really like them, still look new. For the money in good condition I'd say they're a bargain (paid around the AUD500 or so mark when I bought mine years ago).
Of course you can always get better but I don't mind looking through them at all (I have since gifted them to family) and I have quite a few top level bins.
My opinion, go for it. Particularly if they are NIB.

There is a new Monarch 5 8X42 not on Cloudy nights - my mistake,Astromart for $165.00

Andy W.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back