• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sephanoides sephaniodes (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

I am totally confused about publication date and author(s) of Sephanoides sephaniodes. If we look at Avibase here, we have a reference of

Voy.Coq.Atlas(1826) pl.31 fig.2; 1830 Zool. 1(1826) p.681

Actually the OD is in part 2 here and the cover/title page tells me 1828 here for the text. I know that it is possible that this part may have been published in several livraisons and therefore it is possible that Sephanoides sephaniodes was published in 1827 as in most sources but I have no yet evidence that this is true. Priority! The Dating of Scientific Names in Ornithology tells me on p. 122:

The ornithological content was completed in the first 16 livraisons on zoology. The dates on the title pages of the two parties (parts) of vol. 1 are inaccurate: part 1 was completed in 1828 and partie 2 began in 1829 and was completed in 1830.

So it is still possible that the plate here was published in 1827. But here the book tells us:

The "Atlas" contains a list of the plates which includes text page numbers and this list would thus seem to have been published not earlier than 1830.

OK it is just the list. There might be reasons to attribute this plates to both Garnot and Lesson (title page??) even if it looks ike Capitre VIII (p. 633 - 735) seems to authored by Lesson only. See here.

So why (Lesson & Garnot, 1827)? Is this correct against the code?

Maybe here, here, here, here, here and here from Sherborn and Woodward helps to figure this issue out.

I think I found the most recent publication on this book and pubishing dates here. So plate 31 seems to be from 25 Jul 1827.

Last edited:
I think that 'curvirostris' is posing problems for this description to apply to the species (e.g.: Wetmore 1926).

But if we follow Wetmore it may a syn to Eustephanus burtoni. See here or here. And E. burtoni seems to be a syn. to Sephanoides sephaniodes. Or does the description better fit to Oreotrochilus leucopleurus also mentioned by Wetmore? Or is Molinas name a Nomen nudum? I ask as my latin is not existant and I have no clue what Molinas bird may be.

Last edited:
I ask as my latin is not existant and I have no clue what Molinas bird may be.
Trochilus Galeritus curvirostris viridi-aureus, remigibus, rectricibusque fuscis, crista purpurea.
= "Trochilus Galeritus" (from the style of the book, these two words, the first one a generic name, the second one italicized, are obviously intended to form a binominal species name; the meaning is "capped hummingbird") "curve-billed, golden-green, with the flight-feathers and tail-feathers dark-brown, with the crest purple-coloured."

The name seems to be widely treated as a nomen dubium, which probably implies that it potentially applies to an otherwise unknown species (e.g. [Hume 2017]).

It is certainly not a nomen nudum, as Molina gave a descriptive statement. It could certainly not be made a nomen oblitum either, as it was used as valid after 1899 (many times, actually; including in very recent times - e.g. [Rozzi & Jiménez 2014]). The description does not match Oreotrochilus leucopleurus.

I assume the original specimen is not existing any more. Or maybe in the museum in Bologna? Or does anyone know what happened to Juan Ignacio Molina collections?

Molina had been expelled from Chile as a Jesuit in 1768 and, as I understand it, had to complete his work in part from memories. (Which explains the presence of significant inaccuracies.)
I may be wrong, but I doubt he had managed to bring any collection with him.

Last edited:
Anyway Boucards specimen seems to be MNHN in Paris if we believe;

Kleinschmidt, A. Wesen und Bedeutung von Variations-Studien, im besonderen in den Arbeiten von Otto Kleinschmidt, für die Klärung genealogischer Zusammenhänge. Zool. Abh. Staatl. Mus. Tierk. Dresden, 31: 231-262. See p. 244

Im Pariser Museum liegt ein gleicher Einzelfall, der 1891 von BOUCARD als Eustephanus (= Sephanoides) burtoni beschrieben wurde: doch mit „goldgelbem Oberkopf", aber auch mit dunkler grüner Oberseite mit etwas bläulichem Schimmer.

I tried to find but failed (database seems to be down).

Same in footnote [URL="https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/52069#page/188/mode/1up"]here[/URL] by Simon

Last edited:
Additional info -

The Italian text of Molina's work would be relevant as well, actually (on p.246-7, where the footnote referred to in post #2 above appears; can also be seen [here], should you prefer a direct access to the whole text rather than separate pdf files for each page):
Il Chili ha tre specie di questi uccelletti, cioè il minimo, il testa-turchina, e il crestuto. Il minimo, Trochilus minimus (*), non pesa più di ventidue grani : il suo color dominante è un verde rilucente che pare invernicato. Il testa-turchina, Trochilus cyanocephalus (*), ha il corpicciuolo poco più grande di una nocciuola, ma la sua coda è tre volte più lunga : il suo becco è diritto, acuto, e biancastro : la testa è di un color vivo turchino indorato : il collo, e il dorso sono di un verde similmente dorato, e trasparente : il ventre è di un rosso gialligno. Le penne delle ali, e della coda sono turchine variate di porporino. Il Crestuto, Trochilus galeritus (2*), è più grosso dei precedenti, ma più piccolo del lui, o forasiepe d'Europa : il suo becco è curvo : la sua testa è ornata di un piccol ciuffo variegato di porpora, e d'oro : ha il collo, e il dorso verde : le penne delle ali come pure quelle della coda, sono brune picchiettate d'oro : tutta la parte inferiore del suo corpo è di un colore di aurora cangiante.
___
(*) Trochilus rectirostris, rectricibus lateralibus margine exteriore albis, corpore viridi nitente subtus albido Lin.
(*) Trochilus rectirostris, capite remigibus rectricibusque caeruleis, abdomine rubro.
(2*) Trochilus curvirostris, viridi-aureus, remigibus rectricibusque fuscis, crista purpurea.
This would translate more or less as:
Chile has three species of these small birds, which are the "least", the "turquoise-head", and the "crested". The "least", Trochilus minimus (*), does not weigh more than twenty-two grains : its dominant colour is a shiny green that seems to be varnished. The "turquoise-head", Trochilus cyanocephalus (*), has the body barely larger than a hazelnut, but its tail is three times longer : its beak is straight, acute, and whitish : the head is of a vivid gilded blue colour : the neck, and the back are of a similarly golden green, and pure : the belly is of a yellowish red. The feathers of the wings, and of the tail, are turquoise varied of purple. The "Crested", Trochilus galeritus (2*), is bigger than the previous ones, but smaller than the lui, or "forasiepe" of Europe : its beak is curved : its head is adorned with a small tuft variegated of purple, and gold : it has the neck, and the back green : the feathers of the wings as well as those of the tail, are brown speckled with gold : the whole lower part of its body is of a changing colour of dawn.
___
(*) Hummingbird, straight-billed, with the outer tail feathers with white outer fringe, with the body shining green, white below Lin.
(*) Hummingbird, straight-billed, with the head, wing and tail feathers blue, with the belly red.
(2*) Hummingbird, curve-billed, golden-green, with the flight-feathers and tail-feathers dark-brown, with the crest purple-coloured.​
(Colours of footnote symbols are mine.)
The "lui", or "forasiepe" of Europe, so far as I understand, is the wren Troglodytes troglodytes.
I'm not fully sure about Italian but, in French, "couleur d'aurore" (colour of dawn) used to refer to orange yellow. (It's a deprecated term nowadays.) (Having the lower body this colour might be problematic as well for a Firecrown, I guess.)

Molina's names were discussed (in Spanish) by [Deautier & Steulet 1929].

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back