• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Questions on synonyms ... in today's; Neocossyphus, Sitta, and Milvus (1 Viewer)

Let´s return to the identity of "Forskåhlii", and the original source itself ...

If we´re to dissect the description by Peter Forsskål (1775) in detail (following, trusting Laurent's translation, in post #7) ... versus today's Black Kite Milvus migrans and Yellow-billed Kite Milvus (migrans) aegyptius, as well as the Red Kite Milvus milvus, this is what we´ve got (at least, in my mind ;)) ...

• [Falco] "Forskåhlii" GMELIN 1788, based on Forsskål's "Falco cera pedibusque flavis, ..." (of 1775, without any binomial name), quoted (in divided parts), with comments, below:
1. FALCO with yellow cere and feet; ashy above, ferrugineous below; with dark brown wings; with forked, brown-barred tail of the length of the body.
Falco (in those days more or less equal of Raptor) ... all three Kites discussed (Black-, Yellow-billed and Red) have yellow cere and yellow feet. Both the Black and Yellow-billed Kite fits the description "ashy above", but only the Yellow-billed aegyptius (and the Red, of course) has ferrugineous lower parts. Forsskål's "Dark brown wings" excludes, in my mind, the Red Kite, and the "forked brown-barred tail" ... fits all, they all have (more or less) forked tails (less in flight, but certainly so when perched), least in migrans. Regarding "brown-barred", they all have more or less brown/dark-barred tails (most obvious below), even if I would say that the minute bars on the tail of the Red Kite are more blackish than brown. The "tail of the length of the body" is harder to determine, not knowing how the body was measured (and I haven´t found any reliable, comparable measurements of their tails vs "bodies" (incl. excl. head?) ... on this one I will pass. Clearly the Red Kite is the one Kite with the longest tail.

DESCRIPTION. From the tip of the bill to the end of the tail nearly a cubit [one cubit, ranges from 44.4-52.92 cm]
Indicating a bird less than, or just about, half a meter. This, of course, said with reservation for the unknown methods of measuring, as well as not knowing exactly what cubit Forsskål had in mind. Either way: the size talks in favour of either one of the two smaller Kites. Of those two aegyptius seems to be the smaller one (on average).

HBW have the following measurements; Black Kite: 44-66 cm (incl. ssp. Yellow-billed Kite): contra Red Kite: 60-72 cm [here]. Note that other references claim the Head-tail measurements as: Black Kite: "48-58" or "55-60 cm" vs Red Kite "60-70" alt. "60-66 cm".

Bill and cere yellow.
Black Kite: Bill black, cere yellow. Yellow-billed Kite: Bill and cere yellow (adult). Red Kite: Bill greyish (paler by age), with black tip, cere yellow. "Bill and cere" talks (strongly) in favour of aegyptius (... from here onwards I´ve dropped the Red Kite).

Feathers of the head lanceolate, rufescent-grey, black in the middle, with isolated bristles towards the mouth.
Fits aegyptius better than migrans, as the former has a more reddish tone of the otherwise grey-brownish head. Also the one with most obvious "black in the middle". Black Kite's more dark-brownish. See photo here versus here. Both (of course) with "with isolated bristles towards the mouth".

Back feathers and upper wing coverts ashy: with dark brown shaft.
Too vague, would fit either one.

Remiges dark brown, the 5 first ones narrowed towards the tip, all of them on the inferior side grey, barred dark-brown: black towards the apex.
Both the Black - and Yellow-billed Kite have "dark brown remiges", but interesting is that Forsskål mentioned "the 5 first ones narrowed towards the tip (i.e. the primaries) as Raptor expert Dick Forsman (2016), in his recent book Flight Identification of Raptors of Europe, North Africa and the Middle East (2016) points out that the Yellow-billed Kite (aegyptius) as: "Similar to Western Black Kite and often difficult to separate, except for diagnostic adults. Differ structurally from Western Black Kite in showing narrower wing and more pointed wingtip (only five fingers) and slightly more deeply forked tail, but ..." [here, with even more details].

Looking at the Photos in Forsman's book I perceive the tips of primaries of aegyptius somewhat more pointed than the (six!?) ones on migrans. To me Mr Forsskål seems to have been a very sharp-eyed observant, more and more, for every sentence ... quite a "birder"!) I assume he had obtained a specimen, studied at close range.

[Even if not of interest regarding the ID of "Forskåhlii" itself, note that Forsman also cover field identification of the parasitus subspecies.]

Wings below grey-brown, with obscure barring: coverts ferrigineous, with a black central line. Same colour of the feathers below the body: all are white closest to the skin.
Fits aegyptius better than migrans.

Tail of the length of the body, and extending past the tip of the folded wing.
Not useful as characteristic for either one.

12 rectrices, towards the centre progressively a bit shorter: ashy, with dark brown bars.
Not useful as characteristic for either one. Couldn´t find any info regarding differences in numbers of retrices (tail feathers).

Thighs and nearly the half tibiae feathered: remaining part of the tibia and fingers yellow.

Nails black: the rear and inner ones equal to one another, with the reamining ones larger.

Distribution, numbers in Seasons, migration etc., etc. ... hard to find reliable info on species/subspecies level (due to the recent split/non-split situation). Anyone with better sources than I´ve found?

This hieme/winter part is, to me, the most disturbing part of Forsskål's text. Note that Peter Forsskål spent more than a full year in Egypt (from 27 Sept. 1761 until 9 Oct. 1762). Could this quote possibly be read as it being (more) frequent/common in winter, as the numbers increased when European birds arrived/added to, or replaced, the local population? In the meaning (implied/as understood) Present ... versus (more) common, in winter?

Also noteworthy is that Forsskål (in "his" Descriptiones animalium/ "Fauna Arabica", on p.7), under the heading AVES MIGRATORI [Migrating birds], PER CONSTANTINOPOLIM [trough/over/via Constantinople/Istanbul], below; III. AUTOMNALES [in Autumn] listed "Milvus Falco" as "Septembri transit" (here) and (on the following page), under the heading AVES ALEXANDRIÆ. /I. PERMANENTES [BIRDS OF ALEXANDRIA /1. permanent, stationary, consisting alt. all-year] we (again?) find a "Falco Milvus" (but the opposite way around), with the Arabic name "Haddája"!?! Not sure if those two "Milvus Falco" vs "Falco Milvus" was intended as bionomial names or simply Latin text. Maybe Haddáj/ Haddája was used for any other Kite/s? Whatever Red/Black/Yellow-billed ones?

OBSERVATION. Either Falco (10) Milvus? [today's Red Kite Milvus milvus, the given numbers referrs to Linnaeus's Systema naturae 1758, here] but not wholly ferrugineous, and no whitish head.
Enough said.

Or Falco (11) forficatus? [today's Swallow-tailed Kite Elanoides forficatus, ditto] but not whitish below, really ferrugineous.
Note that Svensson et al. points out that the ferrugineous lower part as one of the key characters of aegyptius contra the greyish-brown lower part of migrans (also parasitus is duller).

In my mind, this far, all of it (except maybe for the "Location" part), adds up strongly in favour of Gmelin's "Forskåhlii" (1788) being a synonym of Gmelin's own aegyptius, i.e. today's Yellow-billed Kite. I doubt this is the way Forsskål would have described any specimen of nominate migrans. If only he´d mentioned a dark iris ... but, well, one can´t have it all.

And, as always; don´t hesitate to question, or comment, any of the above!

Björn

References:
Forsman, D. 1999. The Raptors of Europe and The Middle East - A Handbook of Field Identification. T. & A. D. Poyser
Forsman, D. 2016. Flight Identification of Raptors of Europe, North Africa and the Middle East. Bloomsbury/Helm (Helm Identification Guides).
Snow, D. W. & C. M. Perrins (Eds.). 1998. The Birds of the Western Palearctic. Concise Edition. Volume 1 Non-Passerines. Oxford University Press.
Svensson, L., K. Mullarney & D. Zetterström. 1999 (& 2009). Fågelguiden - Europas och Medelhavsområdets fåglar i fält. Bonnier Fakta (the Swedish original version of The field guide: Birds of Europe).
--

Last edited:
forskahlii as in:
• [Falco] "Forskåhlii" GMELIN 1788 = Milvus (migrans) aegyptius GMELIN 1788

Anyone who think otherwise?

Björn

PS. Except, of course, today's HBW Alive Key ;)

[Falco] "Forskåhlii" GMELIN 1788

Another fact that (in my mind) points in favour of Gmelin's "Forskåhlii" as a synonym of aegyptius (and not of migrans) is the fact that a fellow countryman of Peter Forsskål, the Swedish collector Axel Eriksson (more than a century later), shot two adult Kites (both specimens with yellow bills), that he identified as "Milvus forskahli" resp. "Forskahli".

One adult male on on the 28th of December 1879 in the vicinity of Omaruru (in today's Namibia), and another one the 14th of September 1886, in Limpopo, Transvaal, on the border between Transvaal and Bechuanaland, (in today's Botswana). Both later "up-dated" (by the esteemed Swedish ornithologist Gustaf Rudebeck) into "Milvus migrans parasitus" DAUDIN 1800 [i.e today the subspecies Milvus aegyptius parasitus, following today's IOC list].

These birds are today found in Vänersborgs museum* (No. VMA000062 and VMA000063), each one mounted on a stick, with the name "Parasitglada" (Parasitic Kite) on the label, pinned to the socket (here).

Note that the same museum also holds yet another specimen (VMA000064), a juvenile specimen (with an expected black bill) of the same taxa, collected at the same time, by the same guy, in the same location as the first (Namibian) specimen ... a bird that Eriksson identified as "Milvus Migrans"!? Also this bird was later identified (by Rudebeck) as "Milvus migrans parasitus" [i.e today's Milvus migrans/aegyptius parasitus (depenting on which list you prefer)].

Anyone with a different view on my conlusion/s, in post in posts #21-22, that Gmelin's "Forskåhlii" was/is equal of aegyptius?

If so: why?

Björn

PS. For anyone curious on the wintering range of Milvus m. migrans (in Southern Africa), see Brooke 1974, here.

*The reason for those birds ending up in the Vänersborgs museum, in the rural city Vänersborg [and not in the collections of Naturhistoriska riksmuseet (the Swedish Museum of Natural History), in Stockholm], is that Vänersborg was the home Town of Axel Eriksson (and of his far more well-known colleague Andersson). For more info see: The African Bird Collection, here (in English).

PPS: And a thanks to Mike! For noticing and remarking, yesterday, on the (at that point messy) very short-lived, version of this post (deleted the same day). Great having a watchful eye stopping me from appearing all confused. I hope this one turned out better. ;)
--

Last edited:
Quick return to "Neocossyphus rufus arrhenii"

Yesterday I gratefully received a reply from Ulf Johansson, Curator at Naturhistoriska riksmuseet (The Swedish Museum of Natural History), in Stockholm, regarding the identification of the type of "Neocossyphus rufus arrhenii" LÖNNBERG 1917 (kept in their collection, see post #1), and now, after he had a closer look at this issue, he agrees that the claim of it being a synonym for today's nominate rufus is most likely an error. The NRM homepage will (soon) be updated into: syn. Neocossyphus rufus gabunensis NEUMANN 1908.

One less to rack one's brains over!

Björn

In conclusion

Thereby; in my MS it will be:

arrhenii as in:
● the invalid Ant-thrush "Neocossyphus rufus arrhenii" LÖNNBERG 1917 = N. rufus gabunensis NEUMANN 1908

bergmani as in:
● the invalid Nuthatch "Sitta europaea bergmani" MOMIYAMA 1931 = syn. S. e. clara STEJNEGER 1887

forskahlii as in:
● the invalid Kite "[Falco] Forskåhlii" GMELIN 1788 = syn. Milvus (migrans) aegyptius GMELIN 1788 ( ... principally based on morphology)

In my mind (for reasons posted earlier in this thread), none of the various names for the Kite was directly, explicitly, exclusively aimed at the nominate subspecies of Black Kite Milvus migrans migrans (as indicated by today's HBW Alive Key).

The only (minor) doubt/disturbing fact, on the true identity of "Forsskål's Kite" is the phrase "In Ægypto frequens hieme." ("Frequent/Common in Winter"), indicating it could be/involve wintering birds from Europe (migrans), however I choose to read this remark as Forsskål interpreted this (those) Kites as being more numerous in winter, when Black Kites from Europe (i.e. migrans) increased their numbers substantially. The morphological description, the plumage characters, of "his" Kite speaks strongly (beyond doubt?) in favour of today's Milvus (migrans) aegyptius.

Note that there's no indication regarding seasonal frequency on most (all?) the following birds [in Forsskål's Descriptiones animalium (a k a "Fauna Arabica"/Fn. Arab.) 1775, the main reference for "Falco Forskåhlii" GMELIN 1788], execpt for the ones listed as "Aves migratoriæ" ("Migrating birds"). For example; Forsskål didn´t mention the seasonal frequency/presence for "Motacilla schoenobænus", on p.6 [today's Sedge Warbler Acrocephalus schoenobaenus], a bird that clearly must have been more frequent in winter, contra the rest of the year (as it´s non-breeding in Egypt, only wintering there).

This said (as usual) without having the full picture, due to lack of understanding Latin. ;)

Onwards; the guys behind those names will be dealt with in the Bird Name Etymology sub-forum ...

See you all there!

Björn
___

Last edited:
The Swedish Museum of Natural History (Naturhistoriska riksmuseet), in Stockholm, has now (better late than never!) updated their homepage (here) regarding the true Identity of the type specimen of "arrhenii" (NRM 569710), also with some additional photos, of a few original labels, making this case even more convincing.

● "Neocossyphus rufus arrhenii" LÖNNBERG 1917 = N. r. gabunensis NEUMANN 1908

Case (definitely) closed!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back