Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Peru - Masked Trogon?

Old Sunday 30th September 2018, 03:05   #1
Nickk

Peru - Masked Trogon?

Male and female photos taken 3 days apart in an area about 20km west of Cock-of-the-rock lodge
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aCapture2.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	675836  Click image for larger version

Name:	aCapture1.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	675837  Click image for larger version

Name:	aCapture4.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	675838  Click image for larger version

Name:	aCapture3.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	675839  
Old Monday 5th November 2018, 00:30   #2
Nickk

Any takers on this?
Old Monday 5th November 2018, 00:35   #3
Jeff hopkins

I'm not an expert on trogons but it looks right.
Old Monday 5th November 2018, 02:25   #4
Dave B Smith

I wouldn't assume this was a pair of same species if the male and female were photographed seperately on different days. However, I do agree with Masked Trogons for the following reasons:

Female - obvous facial mask that Collared wouldn't have and also all yellow bill where Collared would have a black culmen.

Male - the red eyering would eliminate the Collared. The only thing I don't like is the undertail pattern on the male. It is not a real good match with the Masked but I am going to chalk that up to the amount of wear and tear on those fethers.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 5th November 2018, 02:46   #5
Nickk

The female shows some black on the upper ridge of its bill but that may be wet whiskers (photo below for a closer look). I have seen photos posted of female Collared Trogon with facial masks AND black culmen which is confusing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture4.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	679223  

Last edited by Nickk : Monday 5th November 2018 at 02:51.
Old Monday 5th November 2018, 09:31   #6
THE_FERN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B Smith View Post
I wouldn't assume this was a pair of same species if the male and female were photographed seperately on different days. However, I do agree with Masked Trogons for the following reasons:

Female - obvous facial mask that Collared wouldn't have and also all yellow bill where Collared would have a black culmen.

Male - the red eyering would eliminate the Collared. The only thing I don't like is the undertail pattern on the male. It is not a real good match with the Masked but I am going to chalk that up to the amount of wear and tear on those fethers.
Entirely agree with all of this. The linked Macauley library photo is showing a black culmen for female collared which is diagnostic of that species. The OP photo shows a clear yellow bill instead.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: