• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice for Texas in November please... (1 Viewer)

TwitchEd

I am arriving at Houston on the 1st November and wanted to spend a few days driving down to the Rio Grande Valley Birding Festival (4th-8th). Therefore, I am looking for a few birding site recommendations. Perhaps Aransas NWR, Falcon Dam or South Padre Island? During the festival itself I shall be visiting Bentsen-Rio Grande SP, Laguna Atascosa NWR, Santa Ana NWR, Sabal Palm Sanctuary and Estero Llano Grande State Park. I fly back out on the 10th.

Many thanks in advance!

I live in West Texas. I’m not a native but a Northern Yankee transplanted by way of other parts out west. Texas is quite a big state, when you run across a native Texan who acknowledges not being familiar with parts other than his home turf, he has a saying; “I haven’t been beyond the fence.”

That said, I haven’t been beyond the fence. San Angelo is the farthest north and west, Big Bend National Park the farthest southwest, that’s it for my personal knowledge of the state.

However, I’ve been scouring the net for the past few weeks researching/planning a spring trip to the lower Rio Grande Valley. In doing so I ran across your post. It’s been a few weeks and I’ve been back to the thread a few time hoping someone would chime in, giving you and me both something to work with. Well, we got zip so I figured I better register/join the forum with the hopes of enticing others lurkers to step up and contribute something…..anything to the topic.

As for your drive south from Houston, Texas Parks & Wildlife has what appears to be a great selection of driving maps (on-line accessible) outlining the route, stops, and birds you’re likely to see.

Here’s the link to The Great Texas Wildlife Trails.

Here’s the link to The Great Texas Costal Birding Trails.
Here’s the link to the Central Texas Coast.
Here’s the link to the Lower Texas Coast.

The Upper Texas Coast doesn’t seem like it has a lot to offer by way of density but the map includes Houston so it's here for that reason.

The maps are self-explanatory; on the left side of the page click on the “Loop” and up pops the driving directions along with birds you’re likely to encounter.

Dig out a Texas map, plan out your drive south, and program your gps or the car’s gps.

That’s it, nothing left to do but keep your head up and your glass ready.

Hope this helped.

PM or post if you have questions or need me for anything…..all I ask is a report on the birding and on how the trip went.

Good Luck…!!

I am arriving at Houston on the 1st November and wanted to spend a few days driving down to the Rio Grande Valley Birding Festival (4th-8th). Therefore, I am looking for a few birding site recommendations. Perhaps Aransas NWR, Falcon Dam or South Padre Island? During the festival itself I shall be visiting Bentsen-Rio Grande SP, Laguna Atascosa NWR, Santa Ana NWR, Sabal Palm Sanctuary and Estero Llano Grande State Park. I fly back out on the 10th.

Many thanks in advance!

It really depends what you want to see. There are good places for birding almost everywhere along the Texas coast. It would be worth spending a day or so birding in the Houston area, where you can still see a lot of eastern species, rare specialities like Red-cockaded Woodpecker, and fantastic wetland birding in places like Anahuac, the Bolivar Peninsula and Brazos Bend. Houston to the Lower Rio Grande is a bit of a distance but easily doable in a day, so you would have time.

Aransas is good for Whooping Cranes, so worth stopping at for that, but I've always found it a bit limited for seeing other stuff. The Corpus Christi area should be better for general birding. South Padre is good for late migration and coastal shorebirds. Falcon Dam gets you into more arid birds with stuff like Cactus Wren and Scaled Quail possible. If you want the greatest contrast with birds in the LRGV then spending a bit of time around Houston will probably be the best bet though.

Thank you both for your generous input. It's very much appreciated.

I am actually now flying straight on down to Harlingen and then spending a few days in the Rio Grande Valley prior to the festival - one day on South Padre Island and another at Falcon Dam.

Will keep you posted on how I get on!

@delia todd

Thanks....I really appreciate you pointing out Opus. I scanned through that area of the forum but I couldn't figure out how it work or better yet, how to make it work for me. It's early here, about 6:30am, I'll give your link a thorough exam later this afternoon.

Again, thanks for the help.

My wife and I visited some of the sites you mention in December 2014. Here is......

Your report really pulled me, I thought it was excellent. Enough so, I'm considering isolating the terrain, your birding spots, for my own winter trip. There's always that down time around Christmas, before and after, just enough time to get away for 3 days or so. I could work in a short trip and still make it back in the spring.

Then there's the weather reports, that was a nice added bonus. I'm about 500 miles from the valley, we've had 16 or so straight days of +100 degree temps and no rain. It's still in the 90s, you have me longing for a rainy, chilly climate change.

I appreciate your post and all the time you put into the trip report.

I thank you sir.

I somehow missed this post. If you are in the valley, Aransas will be 2 plus hours away from you. You could hit Brownsville or Harlingen for parrots. Falcon Dam may produce a few western birds, but it isn't the birdiest of spots. Are you doing any field rrips, or are you doing the hotspots on you own? Add Frontera Audubon & Sabal Palms. DO visit the butterfly center while you are there, VERY much worth it and not far from Bentsen-Rio Grande SP. You could drive up to Laredo and get the Red-billed Pigeon & Seedeaters - at Max A. Mendelson golf course. I can give younthe name of a guy who could help you out in Laredo. There is a book you should get - has all the geat hotspots & more, detailed maps. A must have for the valley as far as I am concerned. Plus you need to check eBird constantly around that time, to see if any rarities have shown up. Here is the link for the book, worth every penny. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/18787...nde+valley&dpPl=1&dpID=51YkoS0lncL&ref=plSrch

I somehow missed this post. If you are in the valley,....

TwitchEd, the OP, is making the trip in November. He's has Field Trips planned but he also seems to have a day or so on his own. You may want to offer an input for his free days.

I kinda hijacked his thread, unintentionally seeing how we both wanted info on the RGV.

I'm going to look over your suggestions, along with Hamhed's, and put something together for December. A short trip, maybe 2 or 3 full days in the valley, a preamble for the spring trip. I want to see how to work the area without accommodations, finding a place wherever I'm at when the sun goes down.

I appreciate the help, thank you so much.

Your report really pulled me, I thought it was excellent. Enough so, I'm considering isolating the terrain, your birding spots, for my own winter trip. There's always that down time around Christmas, before and after, just enough time to get away for 3 days or so. I could work in a short trip and still make it back in the spring.

Then there's the weather reports, that was a nice added bonus. I'm about 500 miles from the valley, we've had 16 or so straight days of +100 degree temps and no rain. It's still in the 90s, you have me longing for a rainy, chilly climate change.

I appreciate your post and all the time you put into the trip report.

I thank you sir.

Glad to do it. I've gleaned my share of information from Birdforum trip reports.
It does take time but it is also a way for me personally to look back 5 years from now and recall in detail the time we had on that particular birding adventure.

Steve

Thanks all. Here is my itinerary, courtesy of South Texas Nature:

Monday, November 2 - South Padre Island

Tuesday, November 3 - Falcon Dam, Roma

Wednesday, November 4 - Rio Grande Valley Birding Festival- Bentsen State Park

Thursday, November 5 - Rio Grande Valley Birding Festival- Laguna Atascosa NWR

Friday, November 6 - Rio Grande Valley Birding Festival - Santa Ana NWR

Saturday, November 7 - Rio Grande Valley Birding Festival- Sabal Palm Sanctuary

Sunday, November 8 - Rio Grande Valley Birding Festival- Estero Llano Grande State Park

Monday, November 9 (self-guided) - NABA Butterfly Centre in morning & my choice in afternoon

Tuesday, November 10 (self-guided) - my choice

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back