• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 (1 Viewer)

Dr Manjeet Singh

Dr.Manjeet Singh
:hi: Has any one used the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 for birding for i need a hand held camera as my back up system-the reason i am asking about this camera is it after service is aviable here and the camera is also aviable here easly-it is a DSLR-while the other makes of DSLR has to ordered and 6 to 8 weeks waiting period and if service is required they have to send it back far-too much of a hassel for me-since my job is such that time is limited .I hope some one can give me a feed back .about this camera.Thank you in advance-hope some one will let me know about the above camera-its pros and cons.Regards. B :)

Hey Doc,

Remember my Canon DSLR wasn't working a while back? Well, I took it to the Canon Service centre in KL, completely repaired in 5 days, they did the same for my Canon lens. I wouldn't dismiss looking at Canon for Malaysian users. Really helpfull guys (and girls!) at the service centre.

Good luck with the Kowa....

James Eaton said:
Hey Doc,

Remember my Canon DSLR wasn't working a while back? Well, I took it to the Canon Service centre in KL, completely repaired in 5 days, they did the same for my Canon lens. I wouldn't dismiss looking at Canon for Malaysian users. Really helpfull guys (and girls!) at the service centre.

Good luck with the Kowa....
Yes Even Ian said the same thing-will look into it James and thanks must go and look for it.Regards. :t:

re: Sony DSC-H5, - comparison to dSLR

Hi,

While I had both telephoto cameras out yesterday evening, this Yellow-rump obligingly perched in a tree close by, and even more obligingly stayed in 1 spot long enough to take a pic with each.

The first is with the Sony DSC-H5 12X optical zoom, with a DSC-1758 1.7X extender added on, shot at jpeg fine. The second is with the Nikon D70s dSLR with Tamron 200-500mm. lens, shot in Raw (Nef) and processed in Raw Shooter Premium 2006. Both were hand-held.

Both were cropped and resized, and then sharpened and NeatImaged, in Elements 3, to get the best final result I could.

In these web-sized pics I think the image quality is perhaps slightly better in the D70 pic, but this clearly shows in the full sized jpeg before downsizing for the web. In that version, the D70 pic is disctinctly less pixelated, more detail, subtler and richer colors, and I suspect that would also the case if making a 8 X 10 or larger print.

The H5 at 12 X zoom, with the 1.7X extender, is supposed to be the equivalent of a 734mm. lens on a 35mm., and the Tamron at 500mm. is supposed to be the equivalent of a 700mm. with the D70, on a 35mm. The D70/ Tamron combo is about twice the price and many times the length and weight of the H5 combo, but much quicker to get onto the bird and much more fun to use as long as I don't have to carry it too far!. The H5 is certainly adequate for most purposes as long as you don't have to crop too severely, and makes a great travelling camera.

Richard

Richard

Attachments

• DSC06051-H5.jpg
    DSC06051-H5.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 321
  • DSC_5668-02-D70.jpg
    DSC_5668-02-D70.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 301
rb_stern said:
Hi,

While I had both telephoto cameras out yesterday evening, this Yellow-rump obligingly perched in a tree close by, and even more obligingly stayed in 1 spot long enough to take a pic with each.

The first is with the Sony DSC-H5 12X optical zoom, with a DSC-1758 1.7X extender added on, shot at jpeg fine. The second is with the Nikon D70s dSLR with Tamron 200-500mm. lens, shot in Raw (Nef) and processed in Raw Shooter Premium 2006. Both were hand-held.

Both were cropped and resized, and then sharpened and NeatImaged, in Elements 3, to get the best final result I could.

In these web-sized pics I think the image quality is perhaps slightly better in the D70 pic, but this clearly shows in the full sized jpeg before downsizing for the web. In that version, the D70 pic is disctinctly less pixelated, more detail, subtler and richer colors, and I suspect that would also the case if making a 8 X 10 or larger print.

The H5 at 12 X zoom, with the 1.7X extender, is supposed to be the equivalent of a 734mm. lens on a 35mm., and the Tamron at 500mm. is supposed to be the equivalent of a 700mm. with the D70, on a 35mm. The D70/ Tamron combo is about twice the price and many times the length and weight of the H5 combo, but much quicker to get onto the bird and much more fun to use as long as I don't have to carry it too far!. The H5 is certainly adequate for most purposes as long as you don't have to crop too severely, and makes a great travelling camera.

Richard

Richard
Thank you Richard-off cause-the D70 picture is better but not a bad picture with the sony-how far were you from the bird Richard and Thank you very much for taking the time and effort .Regards. B :)

I'd also be interested to know how far you were from the bird.

I recently purchased a Sony DSC-H5 and have been thinking of getting something like the 1.7X extender. Could you point me towards any links where I could get one for cheap? Thanks so much!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back