• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How much for a used Leica ultravid 8x42 BL (1 Viewer)

ace

Hey everybody,

I've decided to take the jump in to the high-end range of bins. I've got my mind set on the Leica ultravid 8x42 BL, and I'm trying to get one used. I have been looking at kay-optical to get an idea of how much they cost, USED, but they haven't got any listed right now... Don't know if I should buy one now somewhere else or wait and see if something turns up.

So the question is: Does any one of you recall/know how much they "usually" cost at kay...? thanx!!

Best regards

ace

Hey everybody,

I've decided to take the jump in to the high-end range of bins. I've got my mind set on the Leica ultravid 8x42 BL, and I'm trying to get one used. I have been looking at kay-optical to get an idea of how much they cost, USED, but they haven't got any listed right now... Don't know if I should buy one now somewhere else or wait and see if something turns up.

So the question is: Does any one of you recall/know how much they "usually" cost at kay...? thanx!!

Best regards

ace

Kay optical are quiet expensive for second hand optics. Try others including Cley Spey. Good Luck.

Okay, thank you for the tip. The shop you mentioned didn't have any used Leicas for sale, but I'll keep an eye open...any body else got an idea?

Okay, thank you for the tip. The shop you mentioned didn't have any used Leicas for sale, but I'll keep an eye open...any body else got an idea?

You can always try the Leica Mayfair store in London, they sell ex-display equipment...

Hey everybody,

Best regards

ace

One currently on ebay 8 x 42 BL New £ 975.00

It's always worth giving Cley Spy a call if they don't have what you're looking for on the website. Not all of the secondhand stuff get's listed on there (I am sure they had soem s/h Leica bins in there the other week), they will also look out for s/h stuff for you if you want.

That is the green armoured Ultravid BR.

ACE is looking for the Ultravid 8x42 BL - which is the black leatherette finished version.

Although...............if it is for regular use the armoured version is much better. The leather ones start to look very scruffy after only a short period of birding use and the leather tends to peel off after being exposed to variations in temperature and humidity.

That is the green armoured Ultravid BR.

ACE is looking for the Ultravid 8x42 BL - which is the black leatherette finished version.

Although...............if it is for regular use the armoured version is much better. The leather ones start to look very scruffy after only a short period of birding use and the leather tends to peel off after being exposed to variations in temperature and humidity.

have you seen this , the leather is already a lot longer in use than the rubber ! and its easier to replace when necessary

have you seen this , the leather is already a lot longer in use than the rubber ! and its easier to replace when necessary

I have seen this with the BLs they do seem to show signs of wear much quicker than the BRs and when the leather starts to peal they look terrible. I know one birder who bought the BLs and ended up trading them in for the BRs because in cold weather they became very hard to hold (the coild leather was hard to grip). The BLs are great looking bins, but for regurlar use the BRs are a better choice.

I have seen this with the BLs they do seem to show signs of wear much quicker than the BRs and when the leather starts to peal they look terrible. I know one birder who bought the BLs and ended up trading them in for the BRs because in cold weather they became very hard to hold (the coild leather was hard to grip). The BLs are great looking bins, but for regurlar use the BRs are a better choice.

when the leather peals off, leica will replace the leather covering i reckon, and i think that the leather is easely to replace ?
I have no problems to use the binoculair in cold weather

I am sure they will replace it with no problems. But do you really want to continually send the binocular back to Leica in Solms to have the leather replaced or re-stuck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The BL was not designed for a hard birdwatching life. It was designed for the occasional holiday or for people who wanted a classic looking binocular to use at the horse racing.

Last edited:
I am sure they will replace it with no problems. But do you really want to continually send the binocular back to Leica in Solms to have the leather replaced or re-stuck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The BL was not designed for a hard birdwatching life. It was designed for the occasional holiday or for people who wanted a classic looking binocular to use at the horse racing.

the BL has al the benefits (waterproof...) that the BR has , so the BL is perfect for birding , al the old binoculairs from the past had a leather covering and are still around in use. The leather(BL) and rubber (br) is not more than a covering , the housing is the same (BR and BL).

I totally agree with you, they will replace the leather, they will also arrange to pick it up at your front door, gotta love Leica for that ;)

For what its worth the leather hasn't started to detach from my BL.....yet

I totally agree with you, they will replace the leather, they will also arrange to pick it up at your front door, gotta love Leica for that ;)

For what its worth the leather hasn't started to detach from my BL.....yet

how old is you BL, and heavy use and in all weather conditions ?

when the leather peals off, leica will replace the leather covering i reckon, and i think that the leather is easely to replace ?
I have no problems to use the binoculair in cold weather

You could be right that Leica would replace the leather if this happened but having heard how long some current Leica repairs are taking I'm not sure I'd want plan on this. (My own personal experience with Leica repairs has not been good).

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back