• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird of prey migration. (1 Viewer)

Good evening everyone I was at Punta Carnero this afternoon and what an afternoon it was,not 1000´s of birds but a good number and variety.Here is the list: Osprey 7,black stork 21,black kites 100´s,short toed eagle 60+,booted eagles light and dark morph 80+,sparrowhawk 13,egyptian vulture 10.griffon vulture 8,male hen harrier,male montagues harrier,100´s barn swallow,crag martin,red rumped swallow,sand martin,house martin,stonechat,sub-alpine warbler,spectacled warbler,kestrel,yellow legged gull,gannet,sandwich tern,woodchat shrike,blackbird spotless starling.As a matter of interest saw 4 yellow legged gull attack a sparrowhawk over the sea but it fought back and made landfall.Also 1 y/legged gull attack an osprey but gave up after it did not disgorge any food.The gulls are very agressive this year for some reason as there are no nests sites in this area.Heavy rain and thunderstorms forecast for tomorrow so a day at home methinks.kind regards ....Eddy.

Getares

Good evening everyone I was at Punta Carnero this afternoon and what an afternoon it was,not 1000´s of birds but a good number and variety.Here is the list: Osprey 7,black stork 21,black kites 100´s,short toed eagle 60+,booted eagles light and dark morph 80+,sparrowhawk 13,egyptian vulture 10.griffon vulture 8,male hen harrier,male montagues harrier,100´s barn swallow,crag martin,red rumped swallow,sand martin,house martin,stonechat,sub-alpine warbler,spectacled warbler,kestrel,yellow legged gull,gannet,sandwich tern,woodchat shrike,blackbird spotless starling.As a matter of interest saw 4 yellow legged gull attack a sparrowhawk over the sea but it fought back and made landfall.Also 1 y/legged gull attack an osprey but gave up after it did not disgorge any food.The gulls are very agressive this year for some reason as there are no nests sites in this area.Heavy rain and thunderstorms forecast for tomorrow so a day at home methinks.kind regards ....Eddy.

Looks like an excellent day Eddy I had a feeling it would have been good there due to the prevailing winds! Things picked up here in Gib and the flow of BKites and STE got stronger and the day went by.

Im surprised you didnt see any gulls chasing any STE's away, they have a particular dislike for this species. There were going mad here when spotting them coming from quite a distance and heading out to see in mass to 'greet them'! Trust me, they are not attacking the raptors for food but to defend their territory. See this link - http://www.gonhs.org/RaptorRehabilitationCentre.htm or here http://www.surfbirds.com/community-blogs/amigo/2009/05/04/gibraltar-short-toed-eagle-story/ also check wikipedia here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow-legged_Gull and read the "reproduction' section. If you'r observing this behaviour there has to be a few nests (or nests to be ) on the surrounding cliffs for sure, they dont only nest in Gib. Theres plenty of food around for them anyway.

Last edited:
Birdman 7,whilst I agree in principle to the territorial theory The gull with the osprey yesterday was on it´s own and could clearly be seen swooping towards the front end and beak of the osprey and when after a few seconds nothing came about it gave up and the osprey continued on it´s way unpeturbed.This happened several 100 yards from the shore.I have seen them chasing the STE´s but again not actually attacking them but harrasing them.This was not the case of the of the peregrine falcon or the sparrowhawk which was obviously to kill the raptors as it did with the pergrine as reported on a another thread.The resident kestrel pair on Punta Carnero attack anything that comes within their territory but as I have observed at home booted eagles seem to be the targets most of the time.I have seen swallows and starlings attack a booted eagle which seems to be the most hated preditor. This is only my interpretation of the occurances and if someone comes up with something different I will bow to their better knowledge.........Eddy.

they dont only nest in Gib

YLGs apparently nest on Isla Paloma which might be near enough to spark territorial behaviour.

Yesterday probably started slowly because of poor weather over Morocco west of Jebel Musa.

they dont only nest in Gib

YLGs apparently nest on Isla Paloma which might be near enough to spark territorial behaviour.

Yesterday probably started slowly because of poor weather over Morocco west of Jebel Musa.

I agree, I was observing the cloud cover over that area from Gib and thought the same.

There are several YLG pairs all along the entire Guadalmesi area from Tarifa to Algeciras, not colonial like in Gib, but individual, iv seen them myself recently.

Interesting, I was going to go today and held off because of the weather. Sometimes its difficult to predict. Last Friday it was clear, sunny and less windy (easterly) and they hardly crossed.

Whats flying about Occasional?

Whats flying about

Almost entirely black kites (400+over a short period) with some booted eagles, a few(presumably black) storks and a marsh harrier.

Rain now appears to have put a stop to events.

Yes, but not from a particularly good viewpoint.

Like you I had assumed that the wind was too strong for much migration and was rather surprised to go outside and see kites all around.

Same happened to me last Friday, but inteverse, clear sunny skies, moderate easterly, and hardly any noteworthy passage over the entire Algarrobo - Tarifa region, surprising. I did forget to mention that day also had an Alpine Swift.

Yesterday, after a day indoors I went out at about 5 as the rain cleared to just showers. Worth the hour and a half: 2 male Hen Harriers, 1 2nd cal yr Montagu's Harrier, 3 ST Eagles, a few Booted, then over Marchenilla lots of birds in the sky - most seemed to be Kites and they were then grounded (about 6.30p.m.) in fields south of Marchenilla, incomplete count of about 80 birds. Back over Marchenilla a flock of 72 White Storks vapouring about.

This morning counted about 80 Black Kites around 8.30 a.m. Then as we headed off for a walk I started seeing Kites heading North over the village. By lunchtime I had counted 888, with 12 or more ST Eagles and few Booted, a beautiful flock of 132 White Storks also went north. 2 Alpine Swifts over the town this morning.

First Yellow Wagtail yesterday.

Must head west some time..... pip pip!

Report from Marchenilla

How many of these black kites - and others - head north to the UK?

It's all fascinating reading. I'd love to be there!

Yesterday, after a day indoors I went out at about 5 as the rain cleared to just showers. Worth the hour and a half: 2 male Hen Harriers, 1 2nd cal yr Montagu's Harrier, 3 ST Eagles, a few Booted, then over Marchenilla lots of birds in the sky - most seemed to be Kites and they were then grounded (about 6.30p.m.) in fields south of Marchenilla, incomplete count of about 80 birds. Back over Marchenilla a flock of 72 White Storks vapouring about.

This morning counted about 80 Black Kites around 8.30 a.m. Then as we headed off for a walk I started seeing Kites heading North over the village. By lunchtime I had counted 888, with 12 or more ST Eagles and few Booted, a beautiful flock of 132 White Storks also went north. 2 Alpine Swifts over the town this morning.

First Yellow Wagtail yesterday.

Must head west some time..... pip pip!

Most of the continental species such as Black Kites, Short-toed Eagles & Booted Eagles wouldnt get there but possibly quite a few Marsh Harriers, Hobby & Sparrowhawks would. Its a fantastic time to be down here now and all the way up till May to observe migration June :)

Most of the continental species such as Black Kites, Short-toed Eagles & Booted Eagles wouldnt get there but possibly quite a few Marsh Harriers, Hobby & Sparrowhawks would. Its a fantastic time to be down here now and all the way up till May to observe migration June :)

Many birds have the endogenous ability to change course at the appropriate latitude, an action related to their internal 'clock', sun angle and daylight duration (Common Starling in particular), and so it is no surprise that such as Black Kites on their return migration 'make a right' in Spain or in France; only those with faulty endogenous 'instructions' or those that are making the return migration for the first time normally are liable to head off on their own.
MJB

Pretty quiet this afternoon ended the day on an odd 899 Black Kites! 9 different Birds of prey again today, best being another male Montagu's Harrier as we had a drink at the Marchenilla Venta. Quite a few Willow Warblers today.

Well, today dawned bright and still so at about 9 we set off west. Unfortunately by the time we got to Algeciras the east wind was at about force 6/7! We stopped and had a look at Los Lances beach where the lagoon had good numbers of 5 species of Gull and about 60 Sandwich Terns (some stained yellow). 50 Sanderling. On to Bolonia, where at the top of the hill I met a couple of British birders, but no BOPs. By the beach and up to the cliff (no Swifts) we saw a couple of Short-toed Eagles, a Booted Eagle and a Black Kite. Onwards to La Janda, hoping (in vain) for less wind. No such luck. 4/5 Marsh Harriers, 40 or so Spoonbills, 16 Glossy Ibis, 1 Great White Egret, and the highlight - about 20 Bee-eaters heading NW. No Ibis at Montenmedio, or at Barbate or Zahara. Stopped at the Mirador above the straights (about 5pm), and could see quite a few BOPs coming over and making landfall slightly east of the mirador. Most seemed to be Black Kites and Griffons.... Less wind would help....

Migration watchers

I'm intrigued. Are you there specifically for the migration period, maybe with a Birdwatching group, are you on holiday or maybe you live there? I do envy you all :)

Well, today dawned bright and still so at about 9 we set off west. Unfortunately by the time we got to Algeciras the east wind was at about force 6/7! We stopped and had a look at Los Lances beach where the lagoon had good numbers of 5 species of Gull and about 60 Sandwich Terns (some stained yellow). 50 Sanderling. On to Bolonia, where at the top of the hill I met a couple of British birders, but no BOPs. By the beach and up to the cliff (no Swifts) we saw a couple of Short-toed Eagles, a Booted Eagle and a Black Kite. Onwards to La Janda, hoping (in vain) for less wind. No such luck. 4/5 Marsh Harriers, 40 or so Spoonbills, 16 Glossy Ibis, 1 Great White Egret, and the highlight - about 20 Bee-eaters heading NW. No Ibis at Montenmedio, or at Barbate or Zahara. Stopped at the Mirador above the straights (about 5pm), and could see quite a few BOPs coming over and making landfall slightly east of the mirador. Most seemed to be Black Kites and Griffons.... Less wind would help....

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back