• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Hoverfly Thread (2 Viewers)

Thanks very much for your comments Steve. Bicinctum looks distinctive. I think these Chrysotoxum species are among the most charismatic of the hovers.

Sorry I can't help immediately with your's SarahK but it looks o have got dusted all over with something.

Brian - I think it might have been dead and going a bit mouldy or maybe diseased - in retrospect I should have poked it to see but I generally have a policy of not disturbing things if possible.

By the way, I like the pictures of Helophilus pendulus on your website - the one in profile is amazing.

SarahK said:
Can anyone help with this hoverfly? I've gone through the websites that I know about and cannot find a match, and it's so distinctive I didn't think I would have a problem. Photo taken this morning on a sweet pea flower in the garden.
Hi Sarah,
I think your 'mouldy fly' ;) is a female Platycheirus - possibly angustatus as this is the most slender species of the group. It should be quite small [about 8mm long].
Cheers,

Steve.

A very BIG hoverfly!

On another thread I asked if a hoverfly I photographed (copied here) could be identified. It was huge and I'm told it is Volucella zonaria, a hornet mimic. I live in Wiltshire, could someone please tell me the status of this hoverfly in the UK? Is it resident or a migrant? Is it common?

Many thanks!

Attachments

• P1000823 (Small).JPG
    P1000823 (Small).JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 190
  • P1000824a (Small).JPG
    P1000824a (Small).JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 207
Pterodroma said:
On another thread I asked if a hoverfly I photographed (copied here) could be identified. It was huge and I'm told it is Volucella zonaria, a hornet mimic. I live in Wiltshire, could someone please tell me the status of this hoverfly in the UK? Is it resident or a migrant? Is it common?

Many thanks!
Hello from another Moonraker ;)
Yes, definitely zonaria. I've had it once in my Swindon garden. I've attached a current [today] posting from the hoverflies yahoo group. Not sure if the link will work. You will probably need to register with the group to access it.

"Thanks to the various people who sent me additional records. I have updated the maps for both V. zonaria and V. inanis comparing the distribution up to 1994 with that for the most recent 10 years. These are in the photo-album on this eGroup

Volucella zonaria
http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/uk-hoverflies/
HTH,
Steve.

Last edited:
Brilliant Steve. I gave seen innanis a couple of times around here, including at least one in my garden (but none so far this year). Looks like I need to keep a look out for zonaria too.

steve covey said:
Yes, definitely zonaria. I've had it once in my Swindon garden. I've attached a current [today] posting from the hoverflies yahoo group. Not sure if the link will work. You will probably need to register with the group to access it. Steve.

Many thanks Steve. I've registered with the yahoo group and accessed the range map.

I've been back to the same Buddleia only to find a different Volucella there - pellucens I believe? See the pic below. Also I'm absolutely new to these hoverflies - silly question maybe, but how do you tell a real bee from a mimic hoverfly. For example what is the other insect below, on the same Buddleia?

Cheers

Attachments

• P1000827 (Small).JPG
    P1000827 (Small).JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 202
  • P1000828 (Small).JPG
    P1000828 (Small).JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 193
  • P1000838 (Small).JPG
    P1000838 (Small).JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 207
Pterodroma said:
Many thanks Steve. I've registered with the yahoo group and accessed the range map.

I've been back to the same Buddleia only to find a different Volucella there - pellucens I believe? See the pic below. Also I'm absolutely new to these hoverflies - silly question maybe, but how do you tell a real bee from a mimic hoverfly. For example what is the other insect below, on the same Buddleia?

Cheers
As Brian said the first two are pellucens. The last is Eristalis pertinax [mostly because of the pale front and mid tarsi]. The eyes are definately a good field characteristic - bee's being much smaller. You can also sex hoverflies by their eyes as males eyes meet at the top whereas females have a gap. Also they have two wings to the bee's four [although not that obvious as the bees wings are 'hooked' up and look like a single wing. Also, to use the birders parlance, the jizz is different; by and large hoverflies move around much more quickly with often jerky erratic action - and of course, many of the species hover a lot ;)
If you wish to get more seriously involved then a 'must have' is British Hoverflies by Alan E. Stubbs and Steven J. Falk [around £30].
Cheers,

Steve.

Two more hoverflies for identifying

Taken today in Wiltshire - can someone advise the two species please?

Attachments

• P1000848 (Small).JPG
    P1000848 (Small).JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 220
  • P1000875 (Small).JPG
    P1000875 (Small).JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 242
Pterodroma said:
Taken today in Wiltshire - can someone advise the two species please?
Hi Pterodroma,
they are both Eristalis spp. The left hand one is probably arbustorum and the other looks like tenax. Was this one much bigger than the first?
Cheers,

Steve.

steve covey said:
Hi Pterodroma,
they are both Eristalis spp. The left hand one is probably arbustorum and the other looks like tenax. Was this one much bigger than the first?
Cheers,

Steve.

Hiya Steve

Yes, the second was much larger (it was a large species of hoverfly).

By the way, I'm intending getting the book you recommended (but it's currently about the fifth in line!!)

Best wishes

Does anyone recognise this distinctive-looking fella please?

Attachments

• hover_28jun06_420_20a.jpg
    hover_28jun06_420_20a.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 208
  • hover_28jun06_420_20b.jpg
    hover_28jun06_420_20b.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 207
brianhstone said:
Does anyone recognise this distinctive-looking fella please?
Hi Brian,
it looks like a worn specimen of Cheilosia illustrata to me. There is usually more of a covering of coloured hairs on the tergites but looking at the state of it's wings it's been through the mill!
Cheers,

Steve.

SarahK said:
Can anyone help with this hoverfly? I've gone through the websites that I know about and cannot find a match, and it's so distinctive I didn't think I would have a problem. Photo taken this morning on a sweet pea flower in the garden.

Sarah

This is Melanostoma scalare - very clear from the dust marks on the frons. The other dusting is a fungal attack that often hits Melanostoma and Platycheirus.

Any data on where photographed, when and grid ref?

Roger Morris - see www.hoverfly.org.uk for contact details

brianhstone said:
A couple more from a weekend near Winchester, which provided a few hoverfly and cricket firsts for me.

I think the first of these is Volucella zonaria, a large hornet mimic. The reddish thoracic dorsum and scutellum are indicative even if the size isn't obvious.

The secon is a Chrysotoxum species, perhaps arcuatum?

I'd still be grateful for any comments on the previous insects.

Ta!

Brian

The Chrysotoxum is festivum - arcuatum is a northern species close to verallii

Do you have details of records? the recording scheme is interested in records that we can verify - see www.hoverfly.org.uk for contact details

Regards

Roger Morris

steve covey said:
Hi Brian,
it looks like a worn specimen of Cheilosia illustrata to me. There is usually more of a covering of coloured hairs on the tergites but looking at the state of it's wings it's been through the mill!
Cheers,

Steve.

No, this is Leucozona lucorum - the scutellum is yellowish and the shape is wrong for C. illustrata

Regards

Roger Morris

138mph said:
Hi,
One of these is Helophilus pendulus, but I don't recognise the others but they look as if they should be identifiable. I have larger images on my website:

http://www.eimagesite.net/s1/gst/run.cgi?action=images&prid=926&skrlist=926,925,924,920

Thanks in advance,
Hugh

Hello Hugh

the second one is a Parhelophilus - but cannot say which. I've looked at your website and may be able to help with quite a few of the images - contact me at roger dot morris at dsl dot pipex dot com - I think I'll need to look at originals but can probably do a reasonable proportion.

Hope you've got details of where and when photographed as the data would be useful for the recording scheme

Regards

Roger Morris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back