• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch Garten Ospreys (1 Viewer)

Hi Quacker,

I sure hope so, Henry and EJ would have good strong genes to pass on to their chicks, the next generation of Ospreys. Sorry I don't know how else to put that. a great dynasty in the making.

Ann
Osprey Fanatic

Well it has been a really bad year for ospreys getting back. There was bad weather in Spain and a lot of the birds were delays. The Bassenthwaite female Green XS is missing presumed dead. Similarly the Dumfries & Galloway male is missing. I think one other bird is missing too but I cannot put my finger on which one it is possibly Aberfoyle.

We were thinking of visiting the D & G ones in the next few weeks (Is this the one you can check out at Wigtown). Saw them 2 years ago. So does this mean no thing happening there?

Can you tell me how to find any updates for these as all I seem to find is relating to previous years.

We were thinking of visiting the D & G ones in the next few weeks (Is this the one you can check out at Wigtown). Saw them 2 years ago. So does this mean no thing happening there?

Can you tell me how to find any updates for these as all I seem to find is relating to previous years.

Yes this is the one you can check in Wigtown. No things are happening. There is a new male this year. You got to get yourself on to the e-mail update list. I will PM you.

Hi Folks,

I have just seen the blog, I was busy with Malta last night. I have apologised to Henry who is sitting at the moment and of course congratulated him. Never satisfied I wonder if there will be any more? will this one hatch or did EJ use all her energy, whatever producing the first lot.
The blog says it is 25 years since they have seen a second clutch.

Of course our birds will do it, they are out there on their own in a league of their own, sorry don't know how else to put that and they have got to pass those strong genes on to another generation, we don't want wimps.

Whoopee raining here but a great excuse to sit and watch the cam.

Ann
Osprey Fanatic :D :D :D :D :flowers: :flowers: :egghead:

Hi Folks,

I have just seen the blog, I was busy with Malta last night. I have apologised to Henry who is sitting at the moment and of course congratulated him. Never satisfied I wonder if there will be any more? will this one hatch or did EJ use all her energy, whatever producing the first lot.
The blog says it is 25 years since they have seen a second clutch.

Of course our birds will do it, they are out there on their own in a league of their own, sorry don't know how else to put that and they have got to pass those strong genes on to another generation, we don't want wimps.

Whoopee raining here but a great excuse to sit and watch the cam.

Ann
Osprey Fanatic :D :D :D :D :flowers: :flowers: :egghead:

Strange that they are saying that there has only been one other second clutch laid since 1954. In 2005, the last time Henry smashed the eggs it was said in the Loch Garten diary that there had been seven second clutches since 1954.

Second clutches

Strange that they are saying that there has only been one other second clutch laid since 1954. In 2005, the last time Henry smashed the eggs it was said in the Loch Garten diary that there had been seven second clutches since 1954.

I Did notice that you had mentioned the fact about 7 times since '54 in a previous post. i was going to ask you where you got the data from - you have answered that. I think second clutches are probably more common than we think - but as only a few osprey nests are actually monitored (so i am told) - the data could be skewed.

I Did notice that you had mentioned the fact about 7 times since '54 in a previous post. i was going to ask you where you got the data from - you have answered that. I think second clutches are probably more common than we think - but as only a few osprey nests are actually monitored (so i am told) - the data could be skewed.

Well unfortunately the 2005 diary has been taken offline and try as I might I cannot get a reference to the seven second clutches. I have to have read it as it is a figure in my mind.

Second Clutches #2

Well unfortunately the 2005 diary has been taken offline and try as I might I cannot get a reference to the seven second clutches. I have to have read it as it is a figure in my mind.

I am not sure but I think the Warden from that year is now at Aberfoyle - Andrew Simkins? I will try and get in touch with him to see where the figure comes from. I really want to know as I am interested in how big a feat EJ has performed this year - is she really such a special bird.

I am not sure but I think the Warden from that year is now at Aberfoyle - Andrew Simkins? I will try and get in touch with him to see where the figure comes from. I really want to know as I am interested in how big a feat EJ has performed this year - is she really such a special bird.

Yes Andrew Simkins wrote the diary for many years. I have asked them to put the last few years of the diary back online but so far my request has fallen on stony ground.

Actually the best person to get in touch with is Roy Dennis. As you may know he does have an improving website.

Over many years,I have read about second clutches being laid as well as "frustration" eyries being built in Scotland.I was surprised that the "blog" stated such a thing.As said previously,Roy Dennis is the main man,who probably knows more about the species (especially in the UK) than anyone.

Over many years,I have read about second clutches being laid as well as "frustration" eyries being built in Scotland.I was surprised that the "blog" stated such a thing.As said previously,Roy Dennis is the main man,who probably knows more about the species (especially in the UK) than anyone.

Frustration eyries are usually built when a first nest fails. I have never heard of a frustration eyrie actually being used to raise a family of chicks. That said the present eyrie at Loch Garten started life as a frustration eyrie in 1958 when the eggs were stolen.

Indeed it was a frustration eyrie found in the Sluggan pass in 1955 which alerted TPTB that the osprey might be trying to nest again in Scotland. At this time the fact that a pair of ospreys had raised two young in 1954 was known only to one person who kept the knowledge to himself until he wrote a letter to the Scotsman on March 26 1956.

Indeed there is a school of thought that ospreys were never extinct in Scotland in the first place.

There was a very fascinating radio programme on it in November 2004.

Hear it at http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/rams/birdboys.ram

The page is http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/birdboys.shtml

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back