• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice needed on birder clothing. . . (1 Viewer)

BobinKy

I bought the binoculars & field guides, I joined the local bird watching group. . .

Now, what do I wear in the sanctuary and on the trail?

And where do I buy these outfits?

:eek!:

--Bob
Kentucky, USA

You could go overboard and buy all your fancy camouflage gear, or you could wear ordinary clothes with subdude colouring. I know my choice. Ernie

As a general rule, anything which doesn't rustle when you walk and clothing which dries quickly.

The point about rustling is not that it scares the birds, rather it is distracting when you are trying to listen out for songs and calls.

I don't think colour makes a massive difference, though perhaps bright yellow might be a little unwise. In my experience, many species, especially woodland birds, react better if they can see you approaching slowly from a distance. Sneak up on a bird in camouflage gear and they're off like a shot as soon as they see you.

You also need to bear in mind where you are going. For example, if you are looking for mountain birds, then your desire to see the birds should be secondary to your desire to stay alive, and camouflage gear could be almost suicidal. Decent boots, good waterproofs and bright clothing are essential in the mountains. From what I've seen, too many birders seem to forget that the rules of mountain walking also apply to them.

I bought the binoculars & field guides, I joined the local bird watching group. . .

Bob
Kentucky, USA

Hello Bob,
Just dull comfortable clothing will do. No need
for 'fashion' statements.

I have an acquaintance owning the following:-

Ex W.D. Woodland Camo for spring /summer use.
Ex W.D. Desert Camo for autumn / winter use.
Ex W.D. Snow Suit for winter/snow use.

Sad to say he hasn't a 'Brick' camo for Urban use, as yet!
But, I have no doubt-----

Kindest regards,
young Ian.

Bob,
The binoculars & field guides & joining the local bird watching group are all great moves to get a good start birding. I wouldn't begin to think about "specialty clothing" other than comments above. Be comfortable and don't wear clothing that will stand out like a sore thumb. And maybe a hat for sun protection. And good luck with your birding - I can't imagine a better hobby.

Everyone, thanks for the suggestions.

Here is a link to a birders vest I found listed at the "Birding Supplies" web pages of the Kentucky Ornithological Society.

The vest looks interesting--10 pockets.

--Bob
Kentucky, USA

I suggest you don't get it yet. Nobody else will be wearing one. We don't do that stuff over here. But just as long as you don't wear white and DO wear orange in November in certain areas, you will be OK.

The only piece of equipment that is needed is some sort of bag. Back packs are not that handy, and you sweat anyway. Some sort of waist bag, and a water bottle if hiking.

I suggest you don't get it yet. Nobody else will be wearing one. We don't do that stuff over here. But just as long as you don't wear white and DO wear orange in November in certain areas, you will be OK.

The only piece of equipment that is needed is some sort of . . .waist bag, and a water bottle if hiking.

A few years ago our family lived close to the Aullwood Aubudon Center in Dayton, Ohio. I used to take my son there for nature hikes. At times, some dedicated birders would show up with their gear (vests, hats, binoculars, bird journals, and field guides). My son and I, along with most of the other people on the trails would stare. But the vested birders were not abashed and went on their way, observing and recording birds in their journals. Somehow, the vests and hats granted them passage to stop, look, and write. When birders out of uniform would do the same--they did not receive passage from hikers on the trails. Later, back in the parking lot, my son often talked with the serious birders (those wearing vests and hats), while those out of uniform often hesitated to discuss birdwatching with my son, a young naturalist eager to talk.

Birder vests and hats might point to something else.

. . .

I have also begun to look at waist bags.

. . .

Thanks for the tip to avoid being mistaken for a deer during deer season. Around here, that is a main event.

--Bob
Kentucky, USA

If you want to be identified as a birder, the harness for the binoculars is as good as a vest.

One of our leaders locally wears drab clothing, baseball cap and carries his binoculars in his hand, strap dangling. But you would never mistake him for anything but a birder. Also, the scopes will give the birder away.

We go to a local place and show up with scopes. Locals show up and ask us "where are they"? Puzzled for a second, we point out the eagles in the trees across the river. And resume looking at our ducks and sparrows.

We go to a local place and show up with scopes. Locals show up and ask us "where are they"? Puzzled for a second, we point out the eagles in the trees across the river. And resume looking at our ducks and sparrows.

LOL! Yes, we often don't want people to know we are birders, better that way...don't have to give them the same ole story again and again and again.....no 20 questions for me!

Last edited:

:eek!:

--Bob
Kentucky, USA

Jeans and t-shirt will do. If you expect to get wet, then a fast drying material other than jeans, such as ex-army trousers (they don't need to be camoflage gear either!).

I used to do all my birding in jeans and t-shirts when I first started, however
due to not currently driving my birding was that little bit more physical as it either involved a lot of walking or long cycle rides.

First thing I realised was that trying to cycle around trip of 20 odd miles to the nearest gravel pit in jeans in july was just not a cool!! the same with walking so I purchased some ''proper'' walking trousers made of quick drying breathable fabrics ..I have two pairs from Berghaus and two pairs from Craghoppers which I use for regular walking/hiking, for cycling I use regular
sports/leisure bottoms (bit chavy I know but they work!)

As far as t-shirts are concerned, cotton isn't that suitable as it holds in moisture and makes you very uncomfortable in the the summer, there is nothing worse than that wet/clammy feeling in hot weather after a long day in the field so again something made from fast drying/moisture wicking materials will be much more suitable.

A good pair of walking boots are also very important if you want to do any amount of walking and not suffer from crippling blisters etc ..it can all sound a bit over the top but personal comfort is very important when you are spending any length time in the great outdoors!

Just don't buy a bobble hat!!

Matt

I noticed no one mentioned ticks. If you are walking through tick infested fields, wear clothing that will highlight the ticks.

I'd avoid wearing camouflage in the States when you are birding. It's not that popular with birders here due to the association with hunters. It doesn't bother me but I've seen birders in camo get harassed by those opposed to hunting.

I'm not a fan of the vests you describe although I know some people love them. They can be hot and bulky. I prefer a waistpack that holds my field guide, notebook, pen, and lens cleaning cloth.

I would recommend a hat that keeps the sun off your neck in the summer. Tilley hats spur their own debates but there are lots of other options at a good outdoors store.

Everyone, thanks for the suggestions.

Here is a link to a birders vest I found listed at the "Birding Supplies" web pages of the Kentucky Ornithological Society.

The vest looks interesting--10 pockets.

--Bob
Kentucky, USA

Hi Bob,

I find vests extremely useful. Car keys, a field guide or two, wallet (best not left behind in your vehicle), and optical sundries all fit away nicely and yet remain easily retrievable for quick access. I wear a light tan colored one in warm weather (to deflect sun/heat), and a darker one in cooler weather (to absorb the sun's warmth). With free arms and an open front it's the perfect "second layer" of clothing in a birders outfit.

At least as important is a wide brimmed hat. When sunny, it cuts down on glare - especially when looking towards the sun. When rainy, it obviously keeps the drops upon your optics to a minimum or altogether absent.

I'd avoid camo in any case as it's a little "extreme". Overall, I try to stay with medium earth tones like browns and olives, and no lighter than khaki or tan.

Boots? A good all-purpose, all-terrain hiking shoe or boot should be fine. Waterproof and comfort are all important here.

Although "designed" for photographers, I find this to be the best vest I've found for birding. Here's the link:

http://www.promaster.com/products/p...=Vests&sm=sm2_208&dir=&page=PROD&product=VEST

Happy birding,

Robert / Seattle

Hi Bob,
I think another good plan is lines of clothing that are infused with natural bug repellant. I'm not sure what it's like in Kentucky, but down in South Africa the bugs can definately get in the way of enjoying the birding at times. I use Buzz-off, which has nice light weight gear, but I'm sure there are other companies out there as well. The only downside is that they're a bit expensive and the active chemical only last for 25 washes. It's definately worth it if you're birding in buggy habitats though and I find it better than having to spray myself down with deet every day.
As far as where to go birding, the ABA should have some great info for you and you should be able to connect with some local birding groups.
Good luck and welcome to the club. It's addictive, but it's great fun!

Bob, if you haven't found some sort of waist bag yet, I would recommend checking out Walmart or Target. I found a cheap waist pack at one of them that has a main pouch, and then two water bottle holders. The main pouch is large enough for a small Sibley and a small notebook, and also has a few smaller zippered pouches in it.
It was less than $10 and has come in very handy when I've needed to carry either water bottles or a field guide into the field.

I have to weigh in on a small back-pack rather than a waist-pack. Maybe it was because I was in the army for 9 years, but I find a backpack to be totally unnoticable. I have worn a waist pack before but it seems to throw my center of balance off (something to consider if your birding day includes carefully stepping across stones/boulders to cross a river).

Don't worry about birding "fashion". Loose, comfortable, drab clothing is all that is required.

A hat with a brim is a vital necessity - you need something that will block the sun while you look up at birds. I find a simple baseball cap to work perfectly well although many here swear by Tilly hats.

A vest is fine if you actually need a vest. The days of film photography are mostly behind us though. What would go in the myriad of pockets the vest offers?

I used to carry a field guide (actually two - my Peterson's in my right rear pocket and my Kaufman's in my left rear pocket), but haven't carried one for the past year or so.

Plus, vests are hot and confining.

Loose, drab clothing is the way to go. Make sure you have a brimmed hat. I recommend a small backpack for outings that involve any significant amount of hiking so you can carry lots of water, power bars, plastic ponchos that can be used for sitting on, a first aid kit, bug spray, more water, etc.

... A vest is fine if you actually need a vest. The days of film photography are mostly behind us though. What would go in the myriad of pockets the vest offers?

Hi Terry,

Since you asked:

In my vest the pockets are generally filled with at least one field guide, a blower brush, lens-wiping microfiber cloth, car keys, wallet. Switched over from a film to a digital camera? -- great, there's a pocket or two for spare battery, an extra memory card and maybe a filter. Plenty of venting to stay cool (not that that's an issue this time of year), and not difficult to reach access as would be the case with a pack. All that, and I've got maybe ten pockets to spare.

Cheers,

Robert / Seattle

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back