• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I ordered the FZ18 (1 Viewer)

Well after much thought I have made up my mind and ordered the FZ18 £209 inc 4gb card + P&P.. Should get it within the next 2 days. Thank you all for the advice on which superzoom to go for.

Will post pics when i have it..
Thanks
Ian

Hi Ian,

Where did you get the fz18 as i am looking at getting one.

I see them for that price on ebay if so how was the service (always a little nervous about paying that much on ebay).

Reading this thread has sealed my decision to get the camera.

Cheers Darryl.

Today I bought a Lowepro Nova 1 AW bag from Jessops £26.99
my FZ18 with tcon-17 fitted fits perfect.

graham

Be careful when ordering the FZ18 on eBay. Now problems with the supply of the cameras by when I ordered a TZ3 recently it was a Japanese import and come with an American battery charger and a photocopied manual.

I recently ordered an FZ50 over the Internet from UK Digital Cameras. I decided I preferred the FZ18, so I returned the FZ50 and was given a full credit with a few days. I then ordered the FZ18 for £226.99. It is an American import, comes with an American battery charger and a 3pin 13amp adaptor, but at least is has a full English printed manual.

The service from UK Digital was excellent in both cases. Ordered on the Internet one day and specified City Link delivery at £4.99 and it was delivered at 08:00 the next morning.

Hi Ian,

Where did you get the fz18 as i am looking at getting one.

I see them for that price on ebay if so how was the service (always a little nervous about paying that much on ebay).

Reading this thread has sealed my decision to get the camera.

Cheers Darryl.

I bought mine from 7dayshop, £255, including 4GB SD card (x133) and 2 extra batteries ( cheap but seem OK).

Another couple of pics I took this weekend. Light was not very good, but I keep trying. My digiscoping settings did not work as well as expected, so these are with sports outdoors mode.

Brian.

Attachments

• Tufted Duck_800x504.jpg
    Tufted Duck_800x504.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 160
  • Long tailed Tit_800x593.jpg
    Long tailed Tit_800x593.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 173
The long tailed Tit photo didn't come out very well after I resized.
This should be better.

Attachments

• Long t Tit_773x600.jpg
    Long t Tit_773x600.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 179
I've been using my fz8 with tcon17 converter for a couple of months now. It is only any good in good light ie sunlight. You can't go above iso 200 unless you want oil paintings.
The camera simply will not focus in bad light. On cloudy days you think you've got a memory card full of great shots but when you get them on the pc? Not so good. Might salvage a couple of shots but thats about it. However, when the light the good the set up is superb.

Sorry i haven't been on for a while. I bought my FZ18 from ebay New with warranty from a very good seller. Here is a link to the camera they are selling now Item number: 170197547304 . One bad experience does not make ebay a bad place to buy but you do have to be careful who you buy from. A recommendation of a seller is always better than there rating suggests. If you pay for items by paypal you have security as well.
Hope this helps.

Nice LT Tit Brian. I have been having trouble with action shots of birds. tried my digi settings but poor results. Been playing with A and S but still not as i would like.

Nice LT Tit Brian. I have been having trouble with action shots of birds. tried my digi settings but poor results. Been playing with A and S but still not as i would like.

Thanks Ian.
My digi settings didn't work , but I will try again in better light. I'm mainly interested in woodland birds which usually feed on the sunnier edges of the wood. Really looking forward to spring and fresh plumage mirgrants!

Brian.

Here's a couple of mine FZ8 with tcon17 in good light.

Attachments

• P1000884 (Medium).JPG
    P1000884 (Medium).JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 175
  • P1010089 (Medium).JPG
    P1010089 (Medium).JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 150
  • P1000920 (Medium).JPG
    P1000920 (Medium).JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 150
  • P1010002 (Medium).JPG
    P1010002 (Medium).JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 158
I will be in the New forest on tuesday/wednesday I will take some test shots then if i get time. 80th Birthday so may not get away. Ghostrider: What was your settings for the songthrush. A very good picture considering all the branches to distract the focus.
Thanks
Ian

Imace,
Settings for the Song Thrush pic... 1/100s at f3.3 iso100 in S (shutter priority)mode.
AWB, Spot metering, High speed centre spot focus. Noise reduction -1.
This was the sharpest pic out of about 12 and i have sharpened it slightly using Picasa.

Cristian,
Thanks, glad you like them.

Here's a couple of mine FZ8 with tcon17 in good light.

Ghostrider, the Pintail is super. Do you use shutter mode most of the time?
I will try your settings today as the sun is shining at the moment!
Here are a few of my latest efforts. I really need to focus a bit quicker on the flight shots as I miss some good pics. Your settings may help.

Brian.

Attachments

• Cattle Egret_800x600.jpg
    Cattle Egret_800x600.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 139
  • Little Egret_800x585.jpg
    Little Egret_800x585.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 136
  • Little Grebe 2_800x600.jpg
    Little Grebe 2_800x600.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 146
  • Water Vole_800x600.jpg
    Water Vole_800x600.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 127
I will be in the New forest on tuesday/wednesday I will take some test shots then if i get time. 80th Birthday so may not get away. Ghostrider: What was your settings for the songthrush. A very good picture considering all the branches to distract the focus.
Thanks
Ian

Ian,
I hope you have a great time in the New Forest.
Eyeworth Pond and Cadnam Pool would be good places try out your camera. The birds are used to being fed in the car parks, and you can get some good birds there. Another nice place is Shatterford car park. However, you may already know all this!
Good luck,

Brian.

Hi all

Just watching this thread develop with interest. I bought one of these a few month back. I have a DSLR & big lens (and back ache associated with that lol). This is my 5th digital camera, and probably the best to date - I do love the Nikon Coolpix CP4500 for normal use and as a digiscoping camera.

This is the first Digicam where I find reading the manual was of interest and helpful. i know most people never read them, but it is useful. There are a couple of tricks on here, and as mentioned previously on the thread a few good Panasonic forums.

The EOZ (Extended Optical Zoom) turns the superb LEICA lens from 18x to 28.7x zoom if the camera is reduced to 3MP. This has been the subject of much debate on various forums. It is NOT Digital zoom, but probably fair to say it is a auto-cropped picture giving the equivalent of 28.7x magnification. Basically, the camera takes the image from the centre of the picture and uses the unused pixels - a sort of inter-polarisation but I'm not explaining it very well;) - suffice to say as birders it should suit us as we tend to centre-frame our images.

Anyway, this camera is more than a point and shoot (I have a far inferior 12x Konica Minolta Z5) but has some really useful stuff - most of which needs more tinkering with. Face Recognition, 2 different optical stabilisation methods, Intelligent auto programme (which apparently actually works!) and the ability to set the highest ISO setting (the small sensor is very noisy) From what I can gather no higher than 400ISO is acceptable - but all down to user choice and opinion of course.

As the light improves here in the UK, this little beauty should get more of a run out - I might start leaving the scope at home:eek!:

Oh yes - please, please anyone who has used the extended optical zoom with the 1.7 converter, please let us know of your experience/findings. 48.79x optical seems unworkable (1366mm equivalent) - as standard it is a 28-502mm equivalent (18x) and using the EOZ 803.6mm (28.7) for those who like the numbers.

Very much a compromise - DSLR's are much better, but the compromise between both cost and especially weight means a lot more of these will be taken out into the field - oh and they don't "hog" hide space like their larger brethren.

I'd like to see more people listing their own personal user settings. This camera can be used for birding but to me is the ultimate all round camera. Few superzooms have 28mm at the narrow end and as a bonus this one has superb macro facility too.

Last edited:
Thanks Brian. I will be at my parents near Exbury Gardens so will pop to Hatchet Pond and Hill Top to look for Dartford Warblers.
I will try your settings Ghostrider thanks for the info.
Hi Quaker. I have tried my digiscoping settings i used on my coolpix 950 but poor results. Tried a few Aperture settings and now working on Shutter settings. Haven't a TCON17 so can't test that for you. But i did find when using the 3mpEZ (Extended Zoom) 28.7x i get a better shot with the EV down 1/3 or 2/3 depending on light.

Ghostrider, the Pintail is super. Do you use shutter mode most of the time?
I will try your settings today as the sun is shining at the moment!
Here are a few of my latest efforts. I really need to focus a bit quicker on the flight shots as I miss some good pics. Your settings may help.

Brian.

Hi Brian,
I try to use shutter mode most of the time to get the fastest shutter speed, even if the shot is slightly under exposed, you can add the light later on the pc. When the light is very good "P" mode usually does the trick.
Flight shots i'm finding very tricky mainly due to the shutter lag on these cameras. By the time you've focused and fired the bird has gone.
It's an interesting learning curve and i'm currently near the bottom.
But great fun.

Thanks - this ties in with another thread. which is the best way as I noticed there are several ways to mount a 1.7 several attachments and indeed several 1,7 converters (why is nothing ever straightforward?)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back