• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I ordered the FZ18 (1 Viewer)

The Olympus TCON-17 is widely regarded as the best of the reasonably priced Teleconverters. At the time, the only adapter tube available was the DMW-LA3 and even those were as rare as hens teeth. However, I believe there is another compatible adapter tube available now, which causes less vigneting than the LA3 at the wide end but which requires a step ring as well.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=26935711

That thread might be of interest/

Hi all

Oh yes - please, please anyone who has used the extended optical zoom with the 1.7 converter, please let us know of your experience/findings. 48.79x optical seems unworkable (1366mm equivalent) - as standard it is a 28-502mm equivalent (18x) and using the EOZ 803.6mm (28.7) for those who like the numbers.

Hello everyone,
I hope you are all out there snapping away with this brillant camera!
I have been trying the 3EZ setting, but the camera shake image usually came on. So I have set it to 5EZ which I think gives you 23X., plus the 1.7 if you have the TCON.
With my eyes (still havn't been to Specsavers!), the images are just as good, the only problem really is an even narrower field of view. With a lot of practice and empty frames I am gradually getting onto the subject first time. It reminds my of when you first use binoculars and you are trying to find the bird.
The weather is rather crap down here, but the Chiffchaffs are in and I have been trying to get some decent photos when the sun is out.
Although not great, I pleased with these two. Hopefully when they settle down I should more shots in the open.

Brian.

Attachments

• Chiffchaff_800x600.jpg
    Chiffchaff_800x600.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 125
  • Chiffchaff 2_800x600.jpg
    Chiffchaff 2_800x600.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 141
I've been getting a bit of practise in with the camera, getting ready for the first big rarity!! You can see some of my results here http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/17409

Some good photos there!
Really like your Tree Sparrow and Black Redstart. This is exactly what I'm hoping for, a rarity! Because the camera is so light and small even with the TCON, I always carry it with me, ready.
The rain has just stopped so I'm off out for more practise, and perhaps a mega!
A few more pics.
Brian.

Attachments

• Goosander_800x567.jpg
    Goosander_800x567.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 117
  • Long tailed Tit_800x600.jpg
    Long tailed Tit_800x600.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 127
  • Buzzard_800x600.jpg
    Buzzard_800x600.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 129
I hope I am not crashing this thread - but my son, aged 11, wants to photograph birds. My canon ixus70 is excellent for close up shots but seems hopeless for birds. My budget does not reach to DSLRs so I checked out the which? website which has the FZ-18 and its mega-zoom as a best buy - also easy to use - another factor for us beginners ( have a basic knowledge of camera settings). The other option was the Canon Powershot range? or similar price, weight and spec?

If this post is in the wrong place please advise a better place for it!

thanks

I hope I am not crashing this thread - but my son, aged 11, wants to photograph birds. My canon ixus70 is excellent for close up shots but seems hopeless for birds. My budget does not reach to DSLRs so I checked out the which? website which has the FZ-18 and its mega-zoom as a best buy - also easy to use - another factor for us beginners ( have a basic knowledge of camera settings). The other option was the Canon Powershot range? or similar price, weight and spec?

If this post is in the wrong place please advise a better place for it!

thanks

Hi Jaxman

For someone in your position, I would say the FZ18 would be a good choice. It is jam-packed full of features and is very light and portable. However, it does have its limitations, so it is important to be aware of that before taking the plunge. The main drawbacks are noise, which means it needs decent light, and limited dynamic range, which means it doesn't deal well with "contrasty" situations and so highlights tend to be blown.

I should also point out that although it is easy to use, you will get better pics if you take creative control rather than relying on the camera tgo do everything. I tend to use mine in either aperture priority or manual mode.

I've been using mine for about six months and I've attached one or two pics to show you what it can do – and what it can't. The kestrel and the redshanks were taken in good light and are decent crisp images. The female mallard is okay, but you can see how little of the water "texture" has been retained.

Although I still have my FZ18, I have since upgraded to a DSLR. I grew frustrated over the shots I failed to get and I appreciate the greater capability of the DSLR. Having said that, for someone who was definitely not going down the DSLR route, I would say the FZ18 is a good compromise.

All the best,

Malcolm

Attachments

• kestrel.jpg
    kestrel.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 133
  • mallard.jpg
    mallard.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 132
  • pair of redshank.jpg
    pair of redshank.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 138
thanks for that, very nice pics by the way. I have had a quick search on the web and given the cost of DSLR's and the tendency for 11 year old boys to change their minds I think that price wise this camera is a good starter.

thanks for that, very nice pics by the way. I have had a quick search on the web and given the cost of DSLR's and the tendency for 11 year old boys to change their minds I think that price wise this camera is a good starter.

I agree it would be a good choice, and believe it may turn out to be more than just a "starter". I have an FZ18 and personally, at least in good light situations, I have a hard time seeing any difference between the image quality of shots taken with the FZ18 and a DSLR, especially when we are talking about shots as displayed on a computer screen. The only way to demonstrate a difference in image quality would be a side-by-side comparison, which I have not seen yet. I also have no desire to switch to a DSLR -- especially given the extra weight and cumbersomness of a DSLR body plus multiple lenses.

Jim

Last edited:
I agree that the FZ18 would be an excellent camera for your 11 year old son. I bought mine a couple of months ago for myself and my 11 year old son (12 last week). I always use aperture priority to set fast shutter speed and usually check settings before he uses, but he has taken some nice pictures. Obviously it has it's limitations but doesn't every camera ? and i think for the price it is excellent value.

I'm seriously tempted to get myself one of these myself!!

I've spent the weekend birding with a friend who has recently been using one herself, having seen what it's capable of I was very surprised to see the relatively low price. The Short Eared Owl below was taken this evening on my local patch, admitedly at close'ish range in good light but still retained enough resolution to crop quite heavily...

Matt

Attachments

• P1000864 (Custom).JPG
    P1000864 (Custom).JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 161
I have looked at the gallery for FZ18 shots, can anyone explain the teleconverter - does it simply attach to the camera lens? is an adpater required? how big? useful? easy to use are they?
thanks!

Hi, i bought the fz18 3 weeks ago, and although i am a novice when it comes to photography i am really pleased with the images it produces. We all know dslrs produce better pictures but for a camera of this size and price and all the features it possesses it is great. Here are a few pictures taken from my garden using the IA mode.

Attachments

• P1010317.jpg
    P1010317.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 141
  • P1010306_edited-1.jpg
    P1010306_edited-1.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 136
  • P1010322_edited.jpg
    P1010322_edited.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 136
Hi, i bought the fz18 3 weeks ago, and although i am a novice when it comes to photography i am really pleased with the images it produces. We all know dslrs produce better pictures but for a camera of this size and price and all the features it possesses it is great. Here are a few pictures taken from my garden using the IA mode.
Very good. Those are some of the nicest shots I've seen from the FZ18 so far. Excellent colours.

What sort of distance were they taken at?

Very good. Those are some of the nicest shots I've seen from the FZ18 so far. Excellent colours.

What sort of distance were they taken at?

Thanks for your comments, these pictures were taken from my window in bright morning sunshine the birds were about 5,6 metres away.

Very nice photos, wish mine were as sharp!
Here are my last examples, the Nuthatch using 5EZ, and the others on aperture setting with in camera processing as discussed earlier. I now need to learn how to use Photoshop etc. As said before, this camera is ideal for the times we say " I wish I had a camera with me!"

Brian.

Attachments

• Great C Grebe_506x600.jpg
    Great C Grebe_506x600.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 139
  • Water rail_800x600.jpg
    Water rail_800x600.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 136
  • Nuthatch_716x600.jpg
    Nuthatch_716x600.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 129
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back