• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Honduras - info sources (1 Viewer)

Peter Cosgrove

Hi,
I'm off to Honduras birding in the summer and I am looking for any trip reports, useful web-sites and sound recordings for the area. So far, I can find little for Honduras - any suggestions?

Best wishes

Peter

Picked this up:
A good place to observe birds in the canopy above coffee trees is behind the small guesthouse or hospedaje in the Pech village of El Carbon, Olancho. Birds seen there by Canadian birdwatcher Derek Parent include the gray headed chachalaca, wood quail, brown-hooded parrots, wedge-tailed sabre wing hummingbirds, violet-headed hummingbirds, green-throated mountain gem hummingbirds, black-throated trogon, acorn woodpeckers, and shrikes, flycatchers, various wrens, a keel-billed toucan and the green toucanette.

For a field guide you might try 'A guide to the Birds of Mexico and Northern Central America' by Steve Howell and S. Webb. It's very good. While it covers most of Honduras (the western 2/3 of the country) it does also include an appendix with the 50 additional species that are found in Eastern Honduras.

Info on honduran birding

Peter Cosgrove was looking for information on Honduran birding sites for a trip this summer. My new site (mayanbirding.com) has information on more than 20 sites in the country, along with book reviews and information about rleavant bird recordings and their availablility. Another good site is birdinghonduras.com. this is a site that accompanies the excellent new book by Mark Bonta and David Anderson, which is perfect for anyone visiting the country.
Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back