• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic FZ38 to FZ45 (1 Viewer)

bellow

I have been using the FZ38 with LA3 Adaptor and 1.7 T/Conv and have had some great results.On seeing the new FZ45/100 was thinking of upgrading,so did a bit of enquiring,only to find that the thread size on the body has been reduced to from 55mm on the FZ38 to 52mm on the FZ45/100.This makes the LA3 Adaptor and T/con unusable.Having spoken to Panasonic they say there are no plans to produce a reducer ring,which basically means if I upgrade to the 45/100 my adaptor and lens will become redundant.As these attachments cost in excess of £130 I,m now having second thoughts about upgrading.I,m can,t be the only person using these accessories,so would be interested to hear from anyone who can offer any advice.

interesting - I'm in the same position as you

I haven't heard anything that has convinced me its worth the upgrade anyway, but this would be certainly be a factor against doing so

All you need for the tcon 14 is a 52mm to 46mm stepdown ring, there is no need for an adapter tube on the FZ45 lens.

Because of the design of the lens on the FZ45 you will also be able to leave the Tcon on the lens when in review mode as the lens does not retract into the body as on the FZ18/28/38 series.

Last edited:
Not very good lighting conditions but took this shot with an FZ45, at 600 mm (100 % crop but and pixel count reduced but otherwise unedited) this afternoon.

p10100091.jpg

I have been using the FZ38 with LA3 Adaptor and 1.7 T/Conv and have had some great results.On seeing the new FZ45/100 was thinking of upgrading,so did a bit of enquiring,only to find that the thread size on the body has been reduced to from 55mm on the FZ38 to 52mm on the FZ45/100.This makes the LA3 Adaptor and T/con unusable.Having spoken to Panasonic they say there are no plans to produce a reducer ring,which basically means if I upgrade to the 45/100 my adaptor and lens will become redundant.As these attachments cost in excess of £130 I,m now having second thoughts about upgrading.I,m can,t be the only person using these accessories,so would be interested to hear from anyone who can offer any advice.

I have the FZ100 and the LA5 filter adapter. The threaded end of the LA5 is 55mm and my Olympus Tcon 17 fits right on it. The end of the LA5, that connects to the camera body, appears to be 60mm. I also have a Tiffen 1.8 Tcon and have a 55mm to 58mm adapter ring on order so that I can use it. The 52 mm for filters is the thread on the camera lens itself. Hope this is not too conjusing
Paul

Just bought a Olympus tcon 14b pro with a 62mm thread I believe. Could anyone elighten me as to which adaptor/step ring I would need, believe the FZ38 has a 55mm thread, but I used an 'old' 55m step ring from years ago and it does'nt fit?? Any advice/help would be appreciated.
TC

Hello,
I'm one more of those who have thought of upgrading to a FZ100. But according to my research, if I did so, all you need to change is the adapter, the TC 1.7 is the same DMW-LT55 I already have with my FZ28. At least, that's what I read in Panasonic's documentation. Can anybody confirm if this is correct?

The FZ18/28/38 series cameras all have a 43mm thread, so you'll need some adaptors, either step-up or step-down rings to convert the end of the teleconverter to 43mm. If the TC is smaller than 43mm, you'll need step-down rings and step-up if its bigger than 43mm. Hope this helps. By the way, I have an FZ100 which has a 52mm thread and I needed two step-down rings to fit my Sony TC, which has a 37mm thread to the camera.

The FZ18/28/38 series cameras all have a 43mm thread, so you'll need some adaptors, either step-up or step-down rings to convert the end of the teleconverter to 43mm. If the TC is smaller than 43mm, you'll need step-down rings and step-up if its bigger than 43mm. Hope this helps. By the way, I have an FZ100 which has a 52mm thread and I needed two step-down rings to fit my Sony TC, which has a 37mm thread to the camera.

But I think you're talking about the lens thread, which is used to attach Ø46mm filters, while the adapter for the TC is attached to the external Ø55mm (or so) thread in the fix camera body.

Just bought an adaptor (la3e) for my FZ38. The adaptor end that screws into the camera lens is 55.8mm, Panasonic knows what there doing!!.
The other end that you connect your tcon or filters to goes down slightly to 55m, the thread on my Oly tcon is 62mm , I also had to buy a step 'up' ring from 55m to 62mm.
Hope that makes sense!!
TC

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back