Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Keyhaven & Pennington Marshes

Old Sunday 22nd April 2018, 12:14   #1
PJPro

Keyhaven & Pennington Marshes

Seeing as we visit this site a fair bit, I thought it might be good to set up a thread.
Old Sunday 22nd April 2018, 12:21   #2
PJPro

Visited yesterday, hoping to see the Bearded Reedlings (Butts Lagoon). Sat on a bench overlooking the lagoon, playing a waiting game. However, we still failed to see them :( We did see plenty of Reed Buntings, saw a Cuckoo and heard lots of Reed Warblers.

Lots a Whitethroat about, in the brambly field to the north of Butt Lagoon, with Mediterranean Gulls flying overhead. There was also a couple of Avocet in the Fishtail Lagoon and a Marsh Harrier over the reedbeds of Avon Water. We also had our first Wheatear of the year.

Last edited by PJPro : Sunday 22nd April 2018 at 12:27.
Old Monday 7th May 2018, 08:21   #3
PJPro

Still no sightings (by us) of the Bearded Reedlings but we did see 7 Eider Duck, 5 Whimbrel and 3 Spoonbill (Fishtail Lagoon).
Old Monday 7th May 2018, 10:52   #4
John Cantelo

Since it was an old stamping ground of mine in the 1960s (when I was at school) I'll read reports about the area with great interest. For anyone wanting to know more about the area's birds and its ornithological history, the must-buy book is Eddie Wiseman's recently published "One Man's Marshes" which I cannot recommend too highly (see https://www.nhbs.com/one-mans-marshes-book).

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Monday 7th May 2018, 11:33   #5
DavidC

I used to visit Pennington and Stanpit a bit when I lived at Bournemouth so I look forward to reading the reports.
Old Thursday 25th October 2018, 17:27   #6
kennethwfd

The event of the year here is the arrival of two grey phalaropes and a Temnick's stint. Both were sighted at the end of last week after first seen around a month ago. I've seen the phalarope, but the stint has been elusive. The phalarope the opposite. When I first saw it, it chose the creek adjacent to Fishtail lagoon and appeared totally unfazed regarding people. In fact, someone who came with a long prime lens was too close to get a shot

Perhaps not strictly wild birds, a single Black swan appeared on Sturt pond in 2016, and four in 2017. A raptor which appears to be a cross between a common buzzard and a Harris Hawk has been sighted in the area.

Other "firsts" for me this year have been Avocet, Spoonbill Great white Egret and common whitethroat

Last edited by kennethwfd : Thursday 25th October 2018 at 17:31.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: