• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monopod/Head/Manfrotto 357 Universal Plate (1 Viewer)

chinny

This is doing my head in, I'm wanting to use my Canon 500F4 LIS with a monopod, I currently use a 393 Long lens support on a 055 Pro B tripod, the Plate attached to my lens is a Manfrotto 357 PLV Universal sliding plate.

If I were to use a monopod and different head I would have to take off the 357 and use a different plate each time I changed from Mono or Tri? is there a Head or an adaptor that can be used on a Monopod that fits my 357? or can I fit the 357 directly to the Monopod and make it secure?

Would like to know how you would get around this?

Thanks in anticipation?

Paul

Just checked in the Manfrotto catalogue and there is an adatpor, it's listed as a 357 sliding plate adaptor, it comes with a 357PLV plate so you'd get a spare plate with it. The adaptor has both 1/4" and 3/8" threads so can be fixed to either the top of a monopod directly or a head. Not too sure on the cost but think they're about £35.

Thanks for the reply...

I looked at this option but I wasnt sure that it would be secure on 1 screw? : coming loose? and with this option you would be able to pan/tilt? i know you can effectivly pull or push/twist the monopod but there are occasions where you need that head ?

Looks like I will go for this option, fotosense have them in stock for 29.99. can you reccomend a monopod?

Thanks again for your help.

Paul B :)

There's a discussion here that might help:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=77482

About the plate, there is a Manfrotto adapter that allows you to use a standard Manfrotto quick release plate (3157N) with ANY head or assembly - the 3299 adapter, which you can see here:

http://www.bogenimaging.us/product/templates/templates.php3?sectionid=100&itemid=315

Seems like you'd screw this adapter on top of your sliding plate, with your camera attached then to the 3157N quick release plate on the 3299 adapter. Then you just switch the 3157N plate holding your camera from the 3299 adapter to a Manfrotto quick release head (e.g. 3229 monopod head) on your monopod.

chinny said:
Thanks for the reply...

I looked at this option but I wasnt sure that it would be secure on 1 screw? : coming loose? and with this option you would be able to pan/tilt? i know you can effectivly pull or push/twist the monopod but there are occasions where you need that head ?

Looks like I will go for this option, fotosense have them in stock for 29.99. can you reccomend a monopod?

Thanks again for your help.

Paul B :)

I use the equivilent adapter for a 501 plate and it works fine, I have never had it work loose, though I guess you should keep and eye one it.

I use the cheapest Manfrotto monopod around (the 679) with a 486 ball head (with the 501 plate adapter on) with my Sigma 500.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back