• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod and head help (1 Viewer)

Nosamk

red overtone moon
after draggin my Bogen and Slik head around Hanging Rock Park this weekend I decided I need to upgrade to a lighterweight tripod. I have been looking at CF and Basalt and would love to get a Gitzo G-1258 Mountaineer Reporter 6X Carbon Fiber but pricewise its outta my budget.

Does anyone have knowledge/experience with Induro, Slik or Giottos CF tripods?

also will probably replace my head as well as its almost as heavy as my tripod. I do mostly nature photography but have been getting into birds - I thought about getting a video style head but will probably just get a ball head. any options appreciated [and price is a factor]

also - my camera and heaviest lens weight less than 8lbs. what weight support range should I look for? DO I need to look for anything more than10-15 lbs?

TIA

after draggin my Bogen and Slik head around Hanging Rock Park this weekend I decided I need to upgrade to a lighterweight tripod. I have been looking at CF and Basalt and would love to get a Gitzo G-1258 Mountaineer Reporter 6X Carbon Fiber but pricewise its outta my budget.

Does anyone have knowledge/experience with Induro, Slik or Giottos CF tripods?

also will probably replace my head as well as its almost as heavy as my tripod. I do mostly nature photography but have been getting into birds - I thought about getting a video style head but will probably just get a ball head. any options appreciated [and price is a factor]

also - my camera and heaviest lens weight less than 8lbs. what weight support range should I look for? DO I need to look for anything more than10-15 lbs?

TIA

Hi,
I would double your max load & look for a tripod & head combo in that range. That way you are ensuring max stability. Believe me, it does make a difference.
Regards Rob.

Induro

I have over 20 years of photography experience and I have always used Gitzo tripods. I remember my first mountaineering tripod which cost me over $1200. had considerable joint problems due to the enviroment I was working in (high humidity areas). Earlier this month, I visited Keeble & Shuchat Photo in Palo Alto to purchase a replacement tripod. Remembering Gitzo's track record in the past I was reluctant to purchase another one. The man at the counter recommended that I try out their new Induro line. After doing considerable research I decided to purchase the Induro C-213 whose joints are entirely waterproof. Since waterproofing was the primary criteria for me the tripod turned out to be a great addition to my photo equipment.

I bought a 3301 model which at the time came with a free centre column. I'm not very tall 5ft 7" so I dont need the extra height it allows. The 3301 come with a carry case and is 3 section. The sections are extended by turning a hexagon shaped locking device which is very effective. The bottom section has rubber feet which I didn't like so I bought some pointed feet and turned them down to fit snugly inside the carbon fibre tube which works a treat. I use mine in conjunction with a Markins M10 ballhead and the two are very well matched. I use mine mainly with a Nikon 200-400 on a Wimberley Sidekick.

I think this would be a very cheap option for you considering the exchange rate at the moment.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back