• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spring's on its way! (1 Viewer)

Bluetail said:
Even the most attentive hubbies can be right cads on the quiet and Mallards are no different. To put it bluntly, rape is commonplace with this species.

Jason

But apparently only in captivity, Jason - or, at least, that's what I read.

I'm afraid your source didn't give an accurate picture then, Scampo. I've seen wild Mallards rape ducks (or attempt to) on very many occasions indeed. Sometimes several drakes will go for one female (though only one will succeed in mating).

Jason

Bluetail said:
I'm afraid your source didn't give an accurate picture then, Scampo. I've seen wild Mallards rape ducks (or attempt to) on very many occasions indeed. Sometimes several drakes will go for one female (though only one will succeed in mating).

Jason
That's right Jason, it is nothing to see four or five drakes following a female and all having a go. The poor females look really brutally beaten up too. It is quite disturbing. It looks like a better year on the canal though as the numbers are more even this winter.

I can't remember where I read it - but I have seen most havoc in collections or local parks. I wonder if the behaviour is limited to mallards?

Wild Mallards (and other wild ducks) do get up to this sort of thing, but farmyard Mallards are far worse - they've been deliberately bred for maximum sexual activity (to maximise egg output) and minimum parental care (as when they're incubating or brooding, they can't be laying).

In the wild, this sort of activity works as a population regulator: when several drakes start hassling a duck, she tends to lose her eggs or ducklings. But it can only happen where population densities are fairly high to provide the number of excess bored drakes.

Michael

That makes a good deal of sense and is along the lines of what I originally read - maybe it was you who wrote the article back then, Michael?

scampo said:
That makes a good deal of sense and is along the lines of what I originally read - maybe it was you who wrote the article back then, Michael?
Hi Scampo,

Could well be, depending on where you read it - that's not the first time I've posted something to that effect on BF!

Michael

Andrew said:
You could well be right about Torquay. They have palm trees there but so do plenty of places in the south west. There are all sorts gron on Tresco so I reckon that is a contender. I was told they once had snow many moons ago for half a day!

Some put Daffs in the firdge to fool them into thinking they have gone past winter!

If you look at a map of first and last frosts, you'll see that inland areas are the worst. Places like Berkshire typically have frosts from mid October to mid May. Torquay has frosts from late November to March. The reason is the warming effect of the sea. That's why you can see palm trees not only in Torquay but in some places on the West Coast of Scotland too.

Mind you, if and when global warming shuts off the Gulf Stream, our climate will be more like that of Finland.

Off topic, but I was surprised to see a Kingfisher fishing from seaweed covered rocks at the edge of the sea near Torquay on Christmas day. Apparently some go to the seaside in Winter.

Leif said:
Off topic, but I was surprised to see a Kingfisher fishing from seaweed covered rocks at the edge of the sea near Torquay on Christmas day. Apparently some go to the seaside in Winter.
They are seen near the coast all year round and will often go right to the edge of the sea where the rivers go out into the sea at Budleigh Salterton and Sidmouth. You are talking about a Kingfisher right out on the sea which I have never seen and that is amazing!

A couple of things.

I thoiught Lizards laid eggs!

I was on the Isle of Skye a fortnight ago. Someone was complaining that there crocuses or crocii were in flower.

Rape is common amongst Mallards in the wild, even bad enough to drown the females. I pick up several ...... ducks every year. Normally with head injuries and exhaustion due to gang rape.

Hi Simon,
The Common Lizard is also known as the Vipivarious Lizard,which means that it gives birth to fully-formed young.
Is Mallard the only duck sp. in which 'rape' is common?
Harry H

Worth remembering that an awful lot of 'wild' Mallards are not wild at all, they're game releases just like Pheasants. And also a lot of 'real' wild Mallards will have had farm escapes somewhere in their ancestry too. So it is quite reasonable to expect their behaviour to be a bit un-natural at times

Having said that, yes, rape does occur in other duck species. The low population density of most other ducks in Britain makes it a lot less likely to be observed, but I've seen it with e.g. Shovelers.

Michael

"With shovelers"... something rather rude occured to me as I read that. Glad I'm not a Catholic or confession this week would be embarrassing...

Harry

I knew one of the Lizards was viviparous, but I didn't know which one. I should have looked it up. Kind of spoils the joke doesn't it.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back