• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

goyt valley nr buxton (1 Viewer)

Was up there myself today for an extensive walk with the wife. Apart from many willow warblers , the only migrants I picked up were 2 tree pipits in song between the main res. and the woodland walk.

no migrents either today ,only things of note were 3 nuthatchs and a greater spotted woodpecker oh and 5 red deer but they all live there

Had a long enjoyable walk today. Managed to see some migrants; 2 swallows, 3 sandpipers, 2 pied flycatchers, 4 tree pipits also heard 3 chiffchaffs but didn't manage to see them. Other birds of note, Tawny Owl, 3 greater spotted woodpeckers, 3 tree creepers, 5 nuthatches, grey wagtail, 3 ravens, 1 buzzard, 2 kestrels, 5 curlews and 1 mistle thrush. Took a photo of a tree pipit.

Attachments

• pat 438.jpg
    pat 438.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 216
Out again today more pied flys female aswell this time also 4 redstarts and further down the valley 1 woodwarbler 1 dipper and a bat fly about in the sunshine

Attachments

• Copy of pat 476.jpg
    Copy of pat 476.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 196
  • Copy of pat 484.jpg
    Copy of pat 484.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 197
Went a short walk up the Goyt Valley today, starting at Hillbridge. Saw Pied Flycatcher and Wood Warbler, Dipper and Grey Wagtail. Plenty of chiff chaffs and willow warblers. Further up the valley, encountered what appeared to be a cream capped willow warbler. Have put it on the ID page to see if anyone knows what it is. 2 Common sandpipers at Errwood Reservoir plus some more pied flycatchers. Missed the Redsdtarts which had been there earlier. Over to Dane Boller to see the Wheatears and Ring Ousels. The Rousels were around but didn't see them. Curlew and Kestrel seen coming back by the Goyt Valley, a good day.

Nothing much about today but did see a couple of pied flys and 2 sparrow hawks doing a circling display flight ,only out for a hour and a half hoping to do a long walk friday as long as its not raining to hard :-O

out this morning around errwood res 2 common sandpipers then i heard a cuckoo walked half a mile up hill to get a snap of it for it to fly off when i was 40 yrds away anway its the first one ive seen this year, later i saw anther first for this year a spotted fly chatcher also managed a snap of a young jay not the best photo but they are very shy ;)

Attachments

• Copy of pat 044.jpg
    Copy of pat 044.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 176
Peter, I'm off to the Goyt valley tomorrow. I've been to Lathkill before and seen Dippers there but not a lot more. As the Goyt is a large area what part of it would you recommend for birding and photography. Thanks.
Jim.

I recommend Errwood really. Drive down to the reservoir, across the dam and park up on the right at the top of the hill. If you're there early you would be able to park in Errwood Hall car park which is further up towards Derbyshire Bridge, just before the one way system. If you walk along the road, up the side of the reservoir and cross the bridge, when you come to the car park, turn right and walk upwards towards the hall, until you come to another track, follow that track left keeping an eye out for tree pipits, redstarts, pied flycatchers and willow warblers. Follow this track until it meets up with the road again, cross the road, go through a gate and go onto a river walk up the valley. Follow this path, also possibilities of pied flycatchers, it was on this path I saw the spotted yesterday. Greater spotted woodpeckers frequent this area and there is also a possibility of tawny owls. Check the river for grey wagtails. This path eventually leads back to the road, it may be worth following the road up for a mile or so where you could see red grouse and possibly birds of prey. It depends how far you want to walk. If you are thinking of going very early tomorrow, there is a led walk by a Derbyshire Ranger from Derbyshire Bridge car park at 6 -9.45am. A dawn chorus walk which is about 5 miles, which I will be attending. good Luck and good birding.

And if you go out via the one-way to Derbyshire Bridge - evenings, there are short-eared owls at least as well as the grouse and kestrel - and possible other raptors. Thats 1st left after the DB car park and around/on the bend/over the tops. Possibly from a morning walk as well. Odd Curlew and Lapwing etc.

Mike

Thank you very much folks for the info. Shame I can't be there before 10.00am. I've just had a look on Google Earth and I am sure I've been along Errwood Res before.

Peter = If you see a Swift Royal camper van parked in the car park just past the bridge give us a knock and have a cuppa.

Mike = Thanks for the additional info.
Jim.

Thanks for the offer of a cuppa, but I'd finished the dawn chorus walk at 10.00 and the ranger had arranged for us to partake of a bacon butty and coffee at The Cat and Fiddle. Had a great walk, saw 3 golden plover, cuckoo, pied flycatcher, tree pipit, common sandpiper, red grouse, buzzard, hobby, raven, nuthatch, spotted flycatcher, dipper and grey wagtail. After our breakfast, we headed over to Carsington Water - saw a Garganey which was very nice. Also found a female Scaup (see Derbyshire thread for photos).

Another couple of hours in the valley today very quite not much about today , me and my wife saw 1 redstart 1 pied fly 1 tree pipet 1 misle thrush 1 common sand and not much else met 4 other birders they saw the same or less , the birds seemed to be hiden ,mybe its the rain :-C

Another longer walk out today saw 2 kingfishers a 3 dippers ln the valley before fernilee res once at errwood 2 common sands 3 stone chats above the res 3 kestrals no sign of the cuckoo or the pied flys the leaf cover is making it hard , 2 siskins on the way back and a greater spotted woodpecker ;)

Bit of a change today caught bus to buxton walked back via burbage derbyshire bridge the reses and the valley ,nice suprise to see 2 linnet climbing out of burbage not a rare bird but not seen any for a while the ususal medow pipets and curlew, lapwing 2 stone chats a red bunting and a dipper on the infant goyt . riverside walk 2 redstarts and 2 spotted flys and 2 raven , top end of errwood common sand a few willow warblers and a blackcap below fernilee res 2 more dippers 2 jays and a kingfisher by the river just before taxel :eat:

Been to norfolk for a week, back now saw this spotted fly feeding above the goyt in whaley bridge near the white hart

Attachments

• spotted fly.jpg
    spotted fly.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 184
Another enjoyable walk in the valley yesterday ,was dropped of near the cat and fiddle 2nd highest pub in england after seeing a few wheatears and lapwings took the road down came upon a family of stonechats and a couple of grey wagtails before reaching the woods , was hoping for a pied flycatcher and managed 1 just past the old quarry hear a couple of redstarts and a cuckoo caught up with the redstart a bit farther down then managed to see the cuckoo in flight throw in a couple of treepipets half a dozen curlews a nuthatch 3 skylarks and 3 kestrals a misle thrush and a few more common birds and a hot sunny day what more could you want ps 2 people from dorset told me they had seen a pair of winchat near the cat and fiddle :t:

Attachments

• grey wag.jpg
    grey wag.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 174
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back