• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Birding For Beginners" (1 Viewer)

I think the closest I have come to twitching is that when I went to Skomer Island I went wanting particularly to see puffins (i.e. - not very twitchy at all). I was very much not a birdwatcher then (not sure I'm actually a fully 'fledged' birdwatcher now... although I do at least have a set of bins ;)). Didn't know about anything else we'd see there, only that I'd like to see some little puffins (we did too, and a lot of other things!) |:D|

To show just how much of a beginner I am, when I went to Blakeney in Norfolk with my brother earlier this year we looked at the map and saw there was a nature reserve very close... 'maybe' we'll have a look, possibly... although I'm not sure if it will be any good, this "Cley Marshes" place. :-O

...didn't find out how renowned Cley is until much later, long after we'd come back (yes, we did go there - bloomin' fantastic!).

This is a great post, I am just getting into birding and this will give me good start.

I will print it out so I can read it when I am away from the computer.

Now that's a real compliment that you take the time to do that!

Many thanks Justlearning - I'm glad you like this post!

:t:

Also thanks to joannechattaway for the comment - much appreciated.

And Fozzy - I'm envious here - you've picked the bird I particularly want to see... maybe one day I'll have to sneak a trip to see some Puffins as part of 'family holiday', i.e. arrange to be near to where they are... 'coincidentally' you understand!

:king:

Neil.

This is a very good thread and you'll learn much from BirdForum on the whole. Enjoy!

Comment appreciated KC :t: and very true re: learning - this is my no. 1 resource for bird IDing including the 'Opus' links and the gallery - really comes in useful - and of course, I great place to chat and share info. with fellow birders of all levels from Newbie to Ornithologists!

Neil.

And Fozzy - I'm envious here - you've picked the bird I particularly want to see... maybe one day I'll have to sneak a trip to see some Puffins as part of 'family holiday', i.e. arrange to be near to where they are... 'coincidentally' you understand!

:king:

Neil.

You really should - we didn't get the really close views/photos I wanted but they were flying around us and loads were floating on the water in the bay, which was fantastic to see! Lovely little birds. :t:

Update:

I've re-jigged, added, subtracted, edited and generally fiddled about with this here 'online book' and now I reckon it's as good as I can make it - take a look here:

Click To View

I've ended with TOTAL NONSENSE for the last chapter, but all in all, I hope that it shows my passion for all this - I'd appreciate any feedback folks.

Neil.

Really enjoyed this thread, and yep describes the "novice" birdwatcher to a tee!!

I never thought I would have ever been described as an "anorak" but thats what my hubby is now calling me!!!!

Yep it is addictive and the excitement of seeing/observing a personal "new" spot is great.

The exciting part is that I have just progressed to having a scope, so I can see things at distances that before i would have been struggling with my binos.

Hence my latest spot was a sparrowhawk perched in a tree. It was there for about half an hour and was preening etc, great to watch.

To the experienced birdwatcher Im sure this would be pretty normal stuff, but I was absolutely chuffed to bits!!!

Caroline

The exciting part is that I have just progressed to having a scope, so I can see things at distances that before i would have been struggling with my binos.

Hence my latest spot was a sparrowhawk perched in a tree. It was there for about half an hour and was preening etc, great to watch.

To the experienced birdwatcher Im sure this would be pretty normal stuff, but I was absolutely chuffed to bits!!!

Caroline

Hi Caroline - I know exactly what you mean re: the 'scope - I love to see a distant Grey Heron poised as it looks for fish, and then the strike as it goes for its prey... the focus... the intensity - I can sit and watch that endlessly!

I don't know if I've still got the 'L' plates on here (been Birding only since June of last year) but this is something I remain in awe of... mind you, I say the same re: the Robin in the garden... or the Mute Swans in flight as I walk by the canal with that great sound their wingbeats make.

Great stuff - wish I'd started watching these animals mre closely a long time back.

Neil.

Hi Neil

Thanks for the reply - and again great to be able to post to a thread at my level. Well its a day off work for me - and its "Bird Watching for Beginners" walk round Potteric Carr at 10.00 this morning so must get my skates on. The chaps who run the "walks" are very experience and give great tips (habitat/where to look etc).

I will be only to pleased to give an update if I spot anything of interest.

Caroline

Hi Neil

Thanks for the reply - and again great to be able to post to a thread at my level. Well its a day off work for me - and its "Bird Watching for Beginners" walk round Potteric Carr at 10.00 this morning so must get my skates on. The chaps who run the "walks" are very experience and give great tips (habitat/where to look etc).

I will be only to pleased to give an update if I spot anything of interest.

Caroline

Cheers Caroline - look forward to any further comments from you...

And hey - we are ALL beginners... it's just that some of us have been doing it for longer than others!

Neil.

Hi Neil

The walk was great and got some good pointers. The guides pointed out Bittern (to be honest I wouldn't record it as a spot, all that I could see was the reeds moving). Saw kingfisher diving for fish, water rail, Buzzard, Treecreeper but to name a few.

The "spot" of the day was an Iceland Gull - the guides said they had not been reported at Potteric for the last 18 years so that satisfied all levels.

Cant say I was too excited about the Iceland Gull - the gulls all look the same to me - but still put it on my life list!!!

Im still at the stage where I enjoy seeing the more "colourful" stuff.

I would dearly love to see an "owl" so thats what im aiming for.

Where do you do most of your birding, local patch or at a reserve?

I can concur your comments about wishing you'd starting watching the wildlife earlier. My interest was born from the feeding the birds in the garden and realising they were all different, so bought a book, then some little binos, then walking round my local park etc.

My husband kindly bought me my pass for Potteric Carr and Yorkshire Wildlife Trust last year and topped it up for this year together with a new set of binos for Christmas.

Going back to your original tread, it is an addictive hobby, what starts out as just a walk in the park with the binos, turns into something very different. I now find myself looking at every tree, every bush and thats just on my walk round to the local supermarket.

I'd even got my scope fixed on the local pub roof this morning watching sparrows going in and out of the eaves. Can see me being interviewed by the local police shortly for being a peeping tom!!

Happy Birding
Caroline

Where do you do most of your birding, local patch or at a reserve?

Mainly I do the WWT reserve, Martin Mere when I get the chance... but I sort of birdwatch whilst walking my dogs... the canal and 'Wigan Flashes' (reclaimed area that's great for birding), also '3 Sisters' - a recreational area that has a feeding station/screen hide. There's also 'Pennington Flash' not too far away that has hides - but I'm not often that way... I do lie the place though, it's great for seeing Bullfinches and you're practically guaranteed to see them at the feeding station there!

As for your walk - some great ones there... out of your list, the Treecreeper is a particular favourite of mine.

As for Owls... I have to admit, I have NEVER seen one... now when I do I'll be made up... but that's something for the future... I'm happy to see ANY bird for the time being... each time I see a Blackbird is a joy I have to say and I NEVER get bored of seeing them.

Great hobby - started by me late maybe... but better late than never.

:)

Neil.

I love wandering into this thread. Delight in birding for the sake of birding and chalking up the ticks as they come is what drives me as well and it's great to feed on the enthusiasm by you, Neil. Long may you continue in this vein.

I love wandering into this thread. Delight in birding for the sake of birding and chalking up the ticks as they come is what drives me as well and it's great to feed on the enthusiasm by you, Neil. Long may you continue in this vein.

:t: Cheers Mikfoz - I love sharing the joy this hobby gives me - if that comes across, then I'm happy!

I'll keep posting here with anything I find worthy of commenting... I'm a 'Beginner' and I'm happy to be one forever... you can neve learn too much eh?

All the best!

Neil.

By the way, I saw your comments on owls.

You're in Wigan so it's a short hop to Martin Mere (you lucky thing) where most days see the Barn Owls out hunting over the fields towards dusk, it seems. You're bound to strike it lucky eventually. I saw them there just the other week.

If you're mobile enough, give me a shout via PM if you can get up to Marton Mere on a weekend and give me an ETA and I'll most likely be up there, especially in the morning. I'll show you where the roosting Long-ears are as they've not moved for weeks.

Hi Neil

Not had much chance to get on the web site this week. Well Ive joined the RSPB today whilst I was looking round their Old Moor Reserve. Lots of "novices" walking round, it was free to get in because of the Big Garden Bird Survey Weekend, so I was feeling less "novice" than usual! New spots for me today was goosander and 2 X green woodpecker. Needed the scope to see the woodies but still good clear views. Loads of tree sparrows and bull finches. On the "yorkshire patch" thread, someone has photo'd little owl there today. Must try harder eh!!!

It's tucked away in the education garden that doesn't normally have public access, so it's not one to feel bad about!

Thanks for the info :t:

It was my first visit to Old Moor and I did enjoy it. A different feel than my usual site (Potteric Carr). Old Moor seemed more family friendly. So joined the RSPB not just for me but it will be a great place for my husband's young son to visit too. The hides were really comfortable and a real meeting place for people!!! (they certainly weren't sat in silence which makes a change). The site also felt "very safe" for the "female birdwatcher". My husband is not into birdwatching and occassionly tags along for the walk therefore I mainly birdwatch on my own. Big thumbs up for breakfast too!!!!!!

Thanks again for the owl tip ..... and if you can give me any further pointers for the site, that would be greatly appreciated.

Hoping to get back to Old Moor on Wednesday ... weather permitting of course.

Kind Regards
Caroline

Thanks for the info :t:

Hoping to get back to Old Moor on Wednesday ... weather permitting of course.

It's quite quiet at the moment bird-wise, but it's worth checking the lawns near the car park for green woodpeckers, and waxwings have been seen on the berries by the car park but sadly not for a week or so. A female garganey keeps showing its face on the Mere (although it seems to have gone now). Keep your eyes open on the skies for peregrines, and it's worth a visit to the reed beds at dusk or early morning for a possible glimpse of barn owl or bittern (although you'll get much better views of the latter at Potteric).

Thanks again .....

I always seem to forget the carparks at reserves, Im always to eager to get out there!

I did notch up thirty-six different sightings on saturday so I was more than happy. The green woodpecker was a good tick for me .... just because it keeps things nice and tidy on my list .... GSW LSW and now the green!

Was at Potteric on Sunday but only walked as far as Piper Marsh Hide, didnt get up as far as the Hex hide, and although the bittern had been showing well earlier in the day, I didnt see it. Had a real good views of the Kingfisher tho perched under the bridge. On previous visits I had always been looking down the mother drain for the fishers, however after being on the "bird watchers for beginners walk" they said they often perched under there, and yep it does!

Its quite difficult for the beginner to know where to start looking for birds on reserves (apart from the obvious) however I have found in many instances people are only too pleased to share their wealth of knowledge and experience.

Caroline

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back