• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cromford Canal, Derbyshire (1 Viewer)

A warm hello to you all and a big thanks especialy the regulars DaveN, Clive A, Steph for her photos and the rest.

Visited Cromford this morning for the hawfinches, i was starting to think I wouldn't see them, after trying the car park and the area around the church. So i looked for the Dipper around he bridge with no luck, then spotted 2 Mistle Thrushes, whilst watching these I could see something in the Yew tree behind them, yes it was the Hawfinches, 11 of them giving good views for over 10 mins. This was between the bridge and station at the 1st Yew on the left, i was accross the river on the rugby club side.
A very good morning.

Keith

Nice one Keith, those Yews have been a magnet for them all winter and the views can be stunning.
Pam, I guess Keith has answered your question.:t:

Hi Keith & Clive, what a perfectly timed trip for you Keith so that you could inform me o:) I hope I am as lucky as you next week & the sun is shining. Glad you had a good trip.

Hi folks, unfortunately I didn`t manage to see the Hawfinches yesterday at Cromford :-C But I did see a lovely flock of Goldfinch & Siskins & my first Grey Wagtail of the year o:) So not complaining. I didn`t arrive till lunchtime (cheap trains!) so this probably didn`t help my quest. I had a lovely walk up the canal to High Peak Junction & then up the Sheep Pasture Incline to Black Rock & then down to Cromford, great walk.

Hi folks, unfortunately I didn`t manage to see the Hawfinches yesterday at Cromford :-C But I did see a lovely flock of Goldfinch & Siskins & my first Grey Wagtail of the year o:) So not complaining. I didn`t arrive till lunchtime (cheap trains!) so this probably didn`t help my quest. I had a lovely walk up the canal to High Peak Junction & then up the Sheep Pasture Incline to Black Rock & then down to Cromford, great walk.

That's a shame Pam, they can be hard to find at times better luck next time. That is a nice walk indeed, one I have done many times.

What effect do you think this will have on the wildlife as in Little Grebes etc? Will they just move further down the canal past high peak junction? I find this paragraph funny...

"There are also plans to cut back trees along the canal to reduce the level of shading – which is harmful to the wildlife and vegetation".

Surely the introduction of the boats will be hell of a lot more harmul to the wildlife there than 'the level of shading'. Besides, from recollection isn't there a mixture of shade and exposed areas there anyway. And how exactly is the shading harmful to wildlife and vegetation?.

Last edited:
What effect do you think this will have on the wildlife as in Little Grebes etc? Will they just move further down the canal past high peak junction? I find this paragraph funny...

"There are also plans to cut back trees along the canal to reduce the level of shading – which is harmful to the wildlife and vegetation".

Surely the introduction of the boats will be hell of a lot more harmul to the wildlife there than 'the level of shading'. Besides, from recollection isn't there a mixture of shade and exposed areas there anyway. And how exactly is the shading harmful to wildlife and vegetation?.

I think the shading thing is to keep the water clear from algae etc.
Hopefully the boat will be sypathetic to nesting Little Grebes.
Anyway I was down there with Dave this afternoon and we had 2 Dippers, Kingfisher and 8 Hawfinches in a short space of time.

Last edited:
15 Hawfinches early afternoon, downstream of the bridge.
A walk on the canal produced the usual suspects, Treecreeper,GS Woodpecker, Nuthatch, Goldcrest,Grey Wag, Siskins and also a Water Vole.

Finally got down on the canal again this morning.
Breeding water birds are down in number, only 10 broods of Mallard, 6 of Moorhen, 3 of Coot and 2 of Little Grebe between Cromford and Ambergate.
Some of this can be attributed to the dredging and tree clearance work that has been on going, hopefully thing will return to normal next year.
Best bird of the morning was a Spotted Flycatcher near the marble works.
Many birds seen feeding young including Nuthatch, Grey Wagtail, Blue and Great Tits, Robin and Blackcap.
Only 2 species of butterfly seen a distant white and a single Speckled wood.
Large red damselfly, Azure damselfly and a couple of Four spotted chasers were also seen.
One water vole near Lawn bridge.
A few pics attached.

Attachments

• 068.JPG
    068.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 069.JPG
    069.JPG
    175.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 072.JPG
    072.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 074.JPG
    074.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 076.JPG
    076.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 38
Cheers Dave, I had seen that about the newts. They weren't in the canal just at the proposed silt disposal site (not sure where that was).

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back