• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Safeway/Morrisons doing folding bins for £3.99! (1 Viewer)

songbird6666

8x21s, made of rubber, nylon carry bag, cleaning cloth, adjustable. Almost exactly the same as the Marks & Spencer pair I got last year for £20! Ideal for leaving in the car for me, as the M&S pair which were to take out when I went out with the dog have oddly now been left in a permanent place on the kitchen windowsill! Obviously for that money they aren't fantastic, but ideal for the occasional chance sighting I reckon.

songbird said:
8x21s, made of rubber, nylon carry bag, cleaning cloth, adjustable. Almost exactly the same as the Marks & Spencer pair I got last year for £20! Ideal for leaving in the car for me, as the M&S pair which were to take out when I went out with the dog have oddly now been left in a permanent place on the kitchen windowsill! Obviously for that money they aren't fantastic, but ideal for the occasional chance sighting I reckon.

Prrobably very similar to the Bushnell budget model, which sells here for $20 US, but can be had under many other names, Barska, Sports Afield, and many store brands. My only experience with them is that they are very hard to get a good picture with, and the field of view is nowhere near what is stated. IMHO more trouble than a bargain.

i just saw these earlier in the local morrisons garage. they seem ideal for the glove box, i was almost going to spend £400 on a mini pair of leicas for the same purpose but will rather save £396 and get a pair of those instead!!!! - ideal cos im skint at the moment too..........i am addicted to spending money :(

salty said:
i just saw these earlier in the local morrisons garage. they seem ideal for the glove box, i was almost going to spend £400 on a mini pair of leicas for the same purpose but will rather save £396 and get a pair of those instead!!!! - ideal cos im skint at the moment too..........i am addicted to spending money :(

Any good Richie? - i got a free pair of 8x21's with my scpe and they are "hard work" - I'm gonna get a proper set (compacts) - the ones i got are mega compact - far too much magnification.

Steve

Quacker said:
Any good Richie? - i got a free pair of 8x21's with my scpe and they are "hard work" - I'm gonna get a proper set (compacts) - the ones i got are mega compact - far too much magnification.

Steve

for £4 they arent going to match my leicas, but should be spot-on for any pocket/glove box.

BP garages are also doing a 10x25 bino for £5 - witch leaves me with a dilemma - what will i splash out on? - tricky situation when dealing with big bucks like that - maybe they do finance? ;)

salty said:
for £4 they arent going to match my leicas, but should be spot-on for any pocket/glove box.

BP garages are also doing a 10x25 bino for £5 - witch leaves me with a dilemma - what will i splash out on? - tricky situation when dealing with big bucks like that - maybe they do finance? ;)

As a favor to yourself, before you shell out so much money on those bins take a look through a 10 pound (price not weight, I can never remember hof to get the symbol on my laptop) pair of compact porros. I know, I know they cost twice as much but the improvement is tenfold.

The folding roofs I had as a teen (Bushnell 10x25) were absolutely a waste of money. The image was washed out, the usable fov was about 2/3rds of the stated 302', and the dual hinge design became floppy and more trouble to use than merely attempting to walk closer to the bird.

Last edited:
salty said:

And spending it all on Leica optics ;)

John.

B :)
john barclay said:
£3.99 for a pair of bins!...save yer money and your eyes and buy a bottle of red wine.

John.

B :) my though exactly. decided to stick to my leica collection, im scared i may go crossed eyed or blind when looking through those garage specials ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back