• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alpen Apex Binoculars (1 Viewer)

Kleve

Just joined Birdforum. Have been researching a back up set of binoculars for my zeiss classic 10x40's. Has anyone used/reviewed the alpen apex binoculars?

Greetings!

Several months ago, I had the opportunity to evaluate the 8x42 model Alpen Apex at a local sporting goods store. I was quite impressed with the optical quality of the unit I examined, and that evening I made a posting on BirdForum with my (quite) favorable impressions. Several days later, I decided to purchase the pair in question, and returned to the sporting goods store with cash in hand. Unfortunately, they had sold the only 8x42 they had in stock (the one I examined) but assured me that in a few days a few new pair would arrive in an expected shipment.

I returned to the store a week later, to find that the shipment had indeed arrived. There were 2 pair of 8x42 available for purchase, but being somewhat picky (as usual) I insisted on evaluating the unit I would be purchasing before the transaction. I found the new pair to fall somewhat short of the pair I examined a week before, with noticably higher levels of CA and edge softness. Figuring this was somewhat of a manufacturing fluke (the "pair they made on Monday"), I asked for the other boxed and sealed pair. They reluctantly allowed me to open the box and examine the 2nd pair available, and after a short evaluation I could tell that there was something obviously wrong. I finally figured out (by closing one eye, then the other) that the pair was SERIOUSLY miscollimated, although the optical quality appeared to be slightly better than the previous pair - although still not up to the standards of the pair I examined a week before. I left the store without making a purchase, needless to say.

Two morals to this story. First off, if you find an optically exceptional pair of binoculars you are interested in buying, BUY THEM. Don't expect future shipments to be the same, or even units in the same batch to be. Second, ALWAYS examine the pair you are purchasing, don't make a purchasing decision based on a "display" model then buy an unopened boxed pair expecting the same product.

Moral lessons aside, my impression of the Alpen Apex binoculars is mixed. It is apparent to me that there are some VERY good specimens available, but quality control and consistency seem to be hit and miss. Try before you buy, and you won't be sorry. ;)

Best wishes,
Bawko

Last edited:
Hi Kleve,

"Welcome to Birdforum" on behalf of all of us here on the staff.

Bawko has given you some good info there, I can't add anything to it - I don't think this model is available over here.

When you do get your hands on some, perhaps you could pass on your thoughts on them for others?

Good luck.

Andy.

Thanks for the info. I'll post a review if I end up buying a pair, but am now leaning towards buying an older pair of zeiss.
Kleve

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back