• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tayforth Birding (2 Viewers)

Lammerlaws, Burntisland

An hour late this morning produced some nice highlights. A flock of ninety plus Bar-Tailed Godwits, a Grey wagtail and eighteen Red-Breasted Merganser. A distant Great Crested Grebe had me thinking diver until I managed to zoom in.

Attachments

• DSCN9610.jpg
    DSCN9610.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCN9619.jpg
    DSCN9619.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCN9633.jpg
    DSCN9633.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 92
I made another effort to see my first Snow Bunting this morning. Parking up at Kinshaldy, I made my way into the dunes, but within a few minutes, I was having to pull on my waterproofs as the rain, then heavy sleet came on.

Snow Bunting had been reported at the Lagoon yesterday. On my way to the location, I found some beautifully coloured Stonechats, and plenty of Reed Bunting and Meadow Pipit. Out at sea there was a large raft of Common Scoter, with some Velvet Scoter, a few L-T Duck and a single Slavonian Grebe.

At the Lagoon, there was nothing but a Sanderling, a Redshank and a few Dunlin. I trudged back through the increasingly heavy sleet, discovering in the salt marsh that my walking boots are no longer waterproof.

I remain Snow Bunting-less, but I still can't call it a bad day.

Paul, from photos on the Fife Bird Club website it appears the Snow Buntings have actually been around for the last month at least, (though unreported for unknown reasons). The numbers seem to be low again this winter (I had 3 definites and possibly at least 1 or 2 other - calls from both sides at one point with 3 definites on 1 side and 2 other small flocks of birds, mostly Linnets from photos, intermingling on the other). I tend to walk up the beach edge of the dunes slowly scanning the strand-line debris ahead while watching/listening for anything in flight over the dunes. Not going quite as far as the point where the dunes peter out near the fenceline/lagoons seems to be the 'sweet-spot' for seeing them, based on this year and last year, though when there was a larger flock they regularly seemed to pop into the lagoons to drink/bathe en masse. Weather-permitting, I'd suggest lingering in the area for a while might be the best bet. The northern tip of the dunes where they meet the beach at Out Head at St Andrews have also proved productive for a few birds a couple of times for me (and others it seems), but again, lingering and listening for the quiet flight calls probably best bet.

Thanks Barry. I think I also need to pay more attention to the weather forecast to give myself a chance. Will probably try again next week, but will walk up the beach side of the dunes as you advise.

It seems a much quieter year for just about everything. No Waxwing reports yet, for example.

Tentsmuir

Yesterday, I committed the whole day to my search for Snow Bunting. I arrived at Kinshaldy at first light and proceeded to make my way along the front edge of the dunes towards the lagoon.

Nearing the end of the dunes, another birder came towards me. I had seen two of them standing around, and was hopeful they were there because they had spotted something interesting. As it turned out, the approaching birder was simply heading me off from walking into a trap. The trap in question being a shoot net for trapping birds. He and his companion , he told me, were there to try and ring some Snow Bunting. He was quite hopeful, as they had seen Snow Bunting in the area about 15 mins previously. Circumnavigating the seed baited tap area, I accompanied the ring back to his companion, and waited a while. A small flock of linnet made several passes of the trap area, but eventually departed without committing to a landing.

I decided to head around the corner to check the lagoon before any dog walkers moved in, but found little there apart from a lone Grey Plover. I also checked the salt marsh, but found nothing. Returning to the ringers position, I found that they had remotely set off the trap. Thirty to forty Linnet were duly being ringed, but no Snow Bunting.

I worked my way back down the beach, zig zagging in and out of the dunes to cover as much ground as possible. I found little other than more Linnet and some Reed Bunting. Reaching the point where the burn that flows past the car park crosses the beach, I found a fair bit of activity at the edge of the final pool before the water flows over the beach proper. Meadow Pipit and Linnet were splashing about in the fresh water.

I crossed the stream and continued south along the edge of the dunes, again zig zagging in and out to cover more ground. I kept flushing the odd bird, but they were too fast for me. I think they were Skylark however, and not Snow Bunting.

Passing the edge of woods at the south end of the beach, I reached the airfield, before turning back, but took a different route to return. I took to a path that made its way along the edge of the woods, before to followed the old WW2 tank traps across Earlshall Muir, then along the front edge of Tentsmuir forest to the car park.

With the light noticeably fading, and my legs doing pretty much the same thing after a long trek in soft sand, I headed home.

I think it is time for me to give up on Snow Bunting. That is two winters I've been searching with no reward for a lot of effort. Particularly frustrating missing them by 15 mins. That said, there was an alert for Snow Bunting at Outhead today, so I'll see how tomorrow shapes up.

A few nice birds seen along the way. Out on the water were Common Scoter, Velvet Scoter, L-T Duck, R-B Merganser, Slavonian Grebe, R-T Diver and Goldeneye. All very distant, but near the tank traps there were a couple of very nice Stonechats and a Dunnock that cheered me up no end.

Attachments

• DSCN0167.jpg
    DSCN0167.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCN0214.jpg
    DSCN0214.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN0227.jpg
    DSCN0227.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN0253.jpg
    DSCN0253.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN0256.jpg
    DSCN0256.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 66
Outhead - St Andrews

I decided to have another go at finding Snow Bunting this morning. Seven had been seen at Outhead yesterday, so I set off across a freezing fog shrouded Fife. An hour later, I arrived at Outhead, and parked up at the barrier that marks the furthest point that cars can travel along the road that runs along behind the West Sands dunes.

The sun had broken through here, and although still cold, the light was a good. I made my way down onto the beach and started heading up the front edge of the dunes. There were dog walkers and joggers on the beach, although the further north I walked, the less disturbance there seemed to be. There were very few birds around. A Carrion Crow and an Oystercatcher was all I had seen as I started to approach the end of the point.

Looking across the Eden estuary mouth, I could see the area I had scoured for Snow Bunting a couple of days ago, bathed in bright winter sunlight. I started to think that maybe I should head back to the car, then head over to Kinshaldy for yet another Snow Bunting attempt in the lagoon area. I continued walking, but put my hand into my pocket and pulled out some loose change to check if I had enough coins for the entry to the forestry car park. I had the right coins, so Tentsmuir it was going to be.

As I slipped the loose coins back into my pocket, a small group of birds exploded off the frozen sand about thirty feet in front of me. They were without doubt, Snow Bunting. I followed their flight with the binoculars, hoping they would settle. They did. They sat out on the wet sands, and allowed me to gradually approach and take a few photos. Lifting once when some walkers went too close, I was again able to get within range of their new position on the sands. Eventually they were disturbed again by more beach users and they departed. I could have followed them, but decided to leave them in peace.

Tentsmuir was now forgotten, so I headed out to the end of the point instead. From a vantage point on the dunes, I found a favourite bird of mine. Twelve Brent Geese were at the edge of the river. I moved as close as I dared, grabbed some photos and left them undisturbed before heading back to the car.

It had been a long wait for the Snow Bunting, but very much worth the effort in the end.

Attachments

• DSCN0315.jpg
    DSCN0315.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCN0319.jpg
    DSCN0319.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCN0320.jpg
    DSCN0320.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCN0325.jpg
    DSCN0325.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN0330.jpg
    DSCN0330.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 88
Congratulations Paul. They're lovely birds, aren't they. Reminding me of a blizzard when they're in flight.

Funnily enough I was going to suggest you try there, as that's where we saw some on a Bash many years ago.

Just goes to show you should never give up eh?

Happy Christmas to you and the family..... and to all other members, of course, reading the thread.

Brents

A couple of record shots of the Light Bellied Brents at Outhead yesterday.

Attachments

• DSCN0357.jpg
    DSCN0357.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCN0350.jpg
    DSCN0350.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 68
Out and about.

As well as a few visits to my Seafield patch, I've been out and about a couple of times over the holidays.

Boxing day afternoon saw me at the west end of Lochore Meadows. Large amounts of Chaffinch around the cottage nut feeders, ably supported by Siskin and Goldfinch in the trees around the little car park. Blue, Great and Coal Tits all present, with a Treecreeper and a Lesser Redpoll seen from the path on the way. The loch and the ponds were very quiet with only Mallard, Coot, Mute Swan and Goldeneye about. Red-headed Smew reported last week was not about.

Yesterday saw me at Wormiston near Crail. Lapland Bunting were the target, having been reported there about a week ago. I wasn't hopeful, as there had not been any repeat reports for a while, but it was an opportunity to explore a new area. I'd been provided with excellent access instructions, and found the spot pretty easily, but walking across the exposed stubble fields, I was soon chilled to the bone, despite having wrapped up well. Temperature was below zero and chill factor in the wind was many minus degrees below zero. I couldn't help but feel that this was the type of weather condition the Lapland Buntings had headed south to avoid.

I scoured the stubble fields in the area, finding large numbers of Meadow Pipit,Goldfinch and Linnet. Tree Sparrow were also present in the nearby cottage grounds, along with a couple of Greenfinch and a single Reed Bunting.

The plan was to push on to Balcomie to also try for Twite, however, the cold had got to me and I retreated back to the car, checking Wormiston Spinney on the way. I headed home, after a quick diversion to Kilminning.

Today, there is a report out that there are Lapland Bunting at Wormiston, with Twite down at Balcomie Beach. This is where I would insert a head in hands Smilie if there were one. But it's good to know that I have a bird that is filling the hole left by finding Snow Bunting last week. 3:)

Attachments

• DSCN0428.jpg
    DSCN0428.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCN0452.jpg
    DSCN0452.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCN0455.jpg
    DSCN0455.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
But it's good to know that I have a bird that is filling the hole left by finding Snow Bunting last week.

LOL Paul.... I'll look forward to the ongoing saga!!!

Gosh!!! A first for my garden today in a Red Squirrel, ran across the shed roof where I feed the birds.

I've not seen one in the town before, though I've heard that others have. Shame I didn't get a picture!

2 waxwings sitting in a tree at 23 wentworth avenue Dundee at 9.20 am today when I returned a couple of hours later the number had increased to 7 ,the birds were resting not feeding nice to see they are in the area

Ooooh!!! I wondered if we were going to get any this winter K.

Can you point them to Blairgowrie now please lad!!;)

Angus

I had a great day out yesterday with Barry (Stonefaction), hitting some of the Angus hotspots. I think our final list was 78 species spotted, which considering the time of year is pretty good.

Birds seen included Barn Owl (Scottish first for me), Green Sandpiper, Crossbill, Little Egret and Iceland Gull (Onshore first for me). Also, loads of Bullfinch at several sites.
Highlights for me though were Twite (Montrose Basin) and Little Gull (Arbroath), both of which are lifers. :t:

Attachments

• DSCN0716.jpg
    DSCN0716.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN0717.jpg
    DSCN0717.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCN0726.jpg
    DSCN0726.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN0736.jpg
    DSCN0736.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCN0746.jpg
    DSCN0746.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Rossie Bog - Great White Egret

Managed to catch up with the Great White Egret that has been around Rossie Bog in the last few weeks. A distant view, but definitely a GWE. Third lifer of the week. Who said winter months are slow?

Attachments

• DSCN0776.jpg
    DSCN0776.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Lochore Meadows

Good views of the long staying red headed Smew at Lochore this afternoon. Timed it perfectly, as when I emerged from the woodland at the west end, the bird was right in front of me. It drifted away into a reedy bay, but I was able to point it out to a visiting birder from Norfolk. He was delighted, as it was the lifer he had come to see.

Attachments

• DSCN0790 (1).jpg
    DSCN0790 (1).jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Another full day's birding spent with Stonefaction (Barry) today. Main targets were Great White Egret at Rossie Bog, Smew at Lochore Meadows and Green Woodpecker at Portmoak.

We started off at the Wilderness. It felt like a true wilderness with the temperature at minus 3.5 deg C, but we made a solid start there to our lists, including Pintail and Whooper Swan. At Rossie Bog we struck out on the Great White Egret, but found Grey Partridge and a small flock of Stock Doves, along with a few other year ticks for me.

From Rossie, we proceeded to Lochore Meadows. The Redhead Smew was not in the area that it had been in on Sunday, but with a little scouting about, we soon found it in a quiet corner.

From Lochore we headed to Vane Farm (RSPB Loch Leven) where the highlights were Raven (x2), Peregrine Falcon (x2) and Little Egret, while some commoner birds kept our lists ticking away nicely.

The short drive was made to Portmoak Moss, once we were finished at Vane Farm. Here the target was Green Woodpecker. Almost as soon as we came out onto the edge of the moss, we heard the distinctive call of our target just along the path from us. Barry located it just as it took to the wing, and I found it as it flew across the moss to a dead tree.

We now decided to head for Ruddons Point. Here we added a lot of the commoner seabirds and waders to our tally, in some pretty chilly conditions. With still a little light left after we got back to the car, we then headed to the Barnyards Marsh, where we found plenty of Snipe. Our birding day then ended with a quick walk down to Kilconquhar Loch, where Barry managed to find a fleeing Great Spotted Woodpecker.

I have yet to tote up my list, but it looks like 70 plus, with over half a dozen year ticks. More importantly though, than the ticks and list, we had a great day out amongst the birds. I look forward to Stonefaction's blog entry covering today, which I'm sure will be an excellent read as always.

Attachments

• DSCN0882.jpg
    DSCN0882.jpg
    779.2 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN0889.jpg
    DSCN0889.jpg
    608.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back