• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID Verification - Possible Pine Siskin (1 Viewer)

jbross

Hello Everyone:

I am just back from two weeks and more than 70 miles of hiking in Yellowstone NP. We had a great time and as usual for this type of activity, I photographed some birds that I would like to identify.

Unfortunately, my photography skills leave something to be desired, but I try to capture enough to help me ID the birds I see.

I am an interested birder, but sorry to say not an authority or avid birder. I do however appreciate learning about the birds I see and identification is the first step.

I have done some research regarding the bird represented in the photos below which I wish were better. These small birds were fast and skittish so I did the best I could under the circumstances. I think it/they is/are a Pine Siskin (Spinus pinus), but I would appreciate some verification.

Information:

Date: September 9, 2018

Time of Day: 2:30 PM

Behavior: Quick flight to the water's edge of a lake and back into the pine trees. The birds were fast and "skittish."

Thank you for any information you can provide.

Regards,

Jeff Ross

Attachments

• bird_id_03_1008.jpg
    bird_id_03_1008.jpg
    386.1 KB · Views: 20
  • bird_id_02_1007.jpg
    bird_id_02_1007.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 18
  • bird_id_01r.jpg
    bird_id_01r.jpg
    675.1 KB · Views: 14
Thank You!

Thank you for the ID. Just goes to show how little I know. What I find interesting is that the bird source I used, didn't make it seem that obvious from the initial drawing, but after your kind ID, I checked the photos and it was a better indication.

J. Ross

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back