• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Favorite Bird(s)? (1 Viewer)

ElCucuy

It isnt that hard to see that all types of birds are pretty dang captivating, unique, and special in their own way

But I wanted to ask the members here, do you have any personal favorites you like seeing?

And why ?

for me european starlings (i think thats what they are called), overall blackbirds are massive eaters here and cool to watch. house sparrows are pretty sweet too. but i think my favorite has to be the mourning dove, i light up every time i hear or see one ! which is a lot lol

Last edited:
There are too many to mention, but based on my own limited experience of birds here in the UK I'm quite fond of the Mandarin Duck (even though it's an introduced/released bird).

Of the more common birds that I regularly come across, it's weird but sometimes you can just find yourself just liking a particular bird and the common Nuthatch and the Treecreeper are great to watch.

Long-Tailed Tits are a joy - they always seem to be in a 'good mood' ;)

Wheaters and the ultra common Blackbird I could watch all day.

Argh! There are too many to mention!

Yellow-billed Babblers would be high on my list. They're great fun to watch and will happily forage around your feet, just giving you the occasional "Don't try anything, buster" glare.

This should come as no surprise but my absolute favorite bird (and the bird responsible for me getting so into birds in the first place!) is the pileated woodpecker. There is something very prehistoric about him, he kinda reminds me of a pterodactyl! He is just an awe-inspiring bird, so magnificent and beautiful. Until I "met" the spectacular woody around my house I admittedly didn't really like birds that much, I found them a little boring. It was as if this spectacular creature flipped a switch in my brain and now I'm hooked! I do love *all* woodies though.

Nuthatches are adorable and remind me of squeaky little toys!

I also think the crows by me deserve an honorable mention because I think they are always funny to watch and very beautiful creatures. I don't have starlings by me, so I can't say if they would also be my favorites but they certainly are pretty to look at in photos.

**The mourning doves make the coolest sounds and bring warm, comforting feelings of back home in FL where they are super common. Super duper cuties, these guys!

Great thread! :t:

I adore Phalaropes :) I'm very fond of sandpipers in general, especially Turnstones, Purple Sandpipers and Surfbirds, but Phalaropes are the best! I love how confiding they are, I love how busy they are, darting about all over the place and spinning in circles!

Outside of Sandpipers, my next go-to is the Crows. Very fond of a Eurasian Jay or an Azure-Winged Magpie.

White-Tailed Kites.

For about 6 months I had the chance to view and photograph two young ones on a regular basis (since I knew where they stopped to eat their prey and then preen). Felt like they were "my kites" since no one else was paying them any mind and I had to catch them about an hour after sunup when the rest of the world was asleep.

That and their hover-hunting is...wow.

i had to google search most of those birds lol interesting answers.. thanks

How about Splendid Fairy-wren? Attached was taken at Desert Park Alice Springs.
MJB

Attachments

• Splendid Fairy-wren male.jpg
    Splendid Fairy-wren male.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 25
Tree Creepers have always been a favorite of mine. they never cease to fascinate. But probably my favorite of all time and something that I had wanted to see ever since I started out as a teenager is the crested Tit. There is just something about them, plus due to their restricted range here in UK always seemed to be elusive to a young midlander.

Hard one but I try and make it easy

Woodpecker
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Tits
Great Tit
Thrushes
Blackbird
Ducks
Eider Duck
Seabirds
Puffin
Waders
Oystercatcher
Raptors
Buzzard
Crakes
Corncrake
Winter Visitor
Waxwing

Last edited:
I do like the humble Goldcrest (Regulus regulus). Never tire of seeing those. And Eurasian Hobby (Falco Subbuteo). I've had many an encounter with Hobbies and they still fascinate me.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back