• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX60HS in Action (4 Viewers)

Here are a few images from the wetlands yesterday with the SX60. Out to about 1200 mm in bright/hazy light.
Neil.

Attachments

• kentish plovers avocets DB MP sx60hs 400mm  IMG_6585.jpg
    kentish plovers avocets DB MP sx60hs 400mm IMG_6585.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 199
  • pied avocets DB MP sx60hs 1255mm IMG_6606.jpg
    pied avocets DB MP sx60hs 1255mm IMG_6606.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 190
  • pg plovers DB MP sx60hs 1144 mm IMG_6602.jpg
    pg plovers DB MP sx60hs 1144 mm IMG_6602.jpg
    529.3 KB · Views: 171
  • little egret DB MP sx60hs IMG_6631.jpg
    little egret DB MP sx60hs IMG_6631.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 272
  • grey heron MP sx60hs 752mm IMG_6665.jpg
    grey heron MP sx60hs 752mm IMG_6665.jpg
    416 KB · Views: 234
Here are a few images from the wetlands yesterday with the SX60. Out to about 1200 mm in bright/hazy light.
Neil.

Hi Neil,

Were those all handheld? Did you have any of the jumping around that others are reporting? Did you need to use that outside IS button?

Were those all handheld? Did you have any of the jumping around that others are reporting? Did you need to use that outside IS button?
Neil, same questions from me:

• Were those handheld?
  • Did you use the outside IS button?
I consider those quite acceptable if there is no need for the extra button pushing, which at this point is probably my show-stopper.

My basic argument is if I'm in a hurry to shoot something and am fumbling for an extra button, it's a shot lost. Not sure what Canon was thinking having the user push an additional button to stabilize a shot...it really just should be on or off from the settings menu.

I found this review from PC Magazine just today that all the SX60 fence-sitters might find interesting. Granted, it's not from a photographer's point of view, or birders, but more of a consumer-oriented point of view. Which to be fair, this camera is at best a "prosumer" camera.

It does make some technical comparisons between other cameras in this class, including focus speed, sharpness, etc. which are more useful than many other reviews I've read. Also is more balanced about expectations...no mention of "but compared to a DSLR" and that sort of thing...it's evaluated with a proper mindset, IMHO. Also a few more sample pictures.

Many reviews and blogs have scared me from considering the SX60, but this review (unless someone here cares to poke holes in it), combined with Neil's photos, give me reason to think the camera isn't quite as "bad" as is thought by many.

Last edited:
Hi Neil,

The first 4 were taken resting on the window ledge of the hide. The Grey Heron was taken handheld using the lens button to help stabilisation at 750 mms at about 60 metres. There can be "jumping around"but you have to let it settle which might take a second or two. I had already walked about about 2 kms with all my gear on my back when I took this shot so was a bit shaky and need the extra stabilisation. It wasn't in burst mode either as I was shooting raw, although this is the jpeg ( I shoot Raw+jpeg) when I can. It is a small crop so probably equivalent to about 900 mms.
Neil.

It's been cloudy here for the last few days so the SX60 has been selecting higher iso (Auto) up to iso 640 and I noticed a lot of noise as a result. In these photos of the night herons in the local park I've had to use a noise filter.
The last two are at full zoom with the 2x teleconverter switched on. The Teleconverter multiplies the lens by two so the range is 42 - 2730 mm as has been mentioned before. The Digital Zoom only kicks in at the end of the optical zoom range and seems more pixelated for some reason. I leave the 2x on all the time for birding and Continuous Burst Mode.
This video shows the full zoom with 2x on at (2730mm) . The video was shot handheld with the Lens IS button pressed. You can see how noisy it is. I've slowed the video down by 50% and Stabilised the second half in FCP X.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/7892550@N03/15433351927/
Neil

Attachments

• bc night heron imm KP HK 42mm 2x IMG_6944.jpg
    bc night heron imm KP HK 42mm 2x IMG_6944.jpg
    402.6 KB · Views: 138
  • bc night heron imm KP HK 586mm 2x IMG_7004.jpg
    bc night heron imm KP HK 586mm 2x IMG_7004.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 160
  • bc night heron KP HK 570mm 2x IMG_6936.jpg
    bc night heron KP HK 570mm 2x IMG_6936.jpg
    398.9 KB · Views: 159
  • bc night heron imm KP HK 1365mm 2x c IMG_7088.jpg
    bc night heron imm KP HK 1365mm 2x c IMG_7088.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 194
  • bc night heron  KP HK 1365mm 2x c IMG_7145.jpg
    bc night heron KP HK 1365mm 2x c IMG_7145.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 199
Just for fun I went back over some of the California trip sx60 raw images and ran them through DPP HDR ( single Raw) and Vivid.
Neil.

Attachments

• sunset breakwater la jolla CA sx60hs hdr.jpg
    sunset breakwater la jolla CA sx60hs hdr.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 132
  • seals waves la jolla CA sx60hs hdr.jpg
    seals waves la jolla CA sx60hs hdr.jpg
    570.6 KB · Views: 140
  • girl cliffs la jolla CA sx60hs hdr c.jpg
    girl cliffs la jolla CA sx60hs hdr c.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 242
  • cormorants la jolla CA sx60 hdr.jpg
    cormorants la jolla CA sx60 hdr.jpg
    773.3 KB · Views: 149
  • couple la jolla CA sx60hs hdr.jpg
    couple la jolla CA sx60hs hdr.jpg
    342.2 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Cheers Neil.
Above, Crazyfingers mentions turning IS onto 'Shoot Only'. Tried this setting today with an active RB Fly and basically there's no way on earth that it can work (even with IS button pressed in)......so for 'normal' birds I'd personally keep it on 'Continuous' as when I switched it back I could get plenty of pics. Just a thought

Cheers Neil.
Above, Crazyfingers mentions turning IS onto 'Shoot Only'. Tried this setting today with an active RB Fly and basically there's no way on earth that it can work (even with IS button pressed in)......so for 'normal' birds I'd personally keep it on 'Continuous' as when I switched it back I could get plenty of pics. Just a thought

Hi birdboybowley,

What's RB Fly?

I don't understand what you're saying. Could you describe in more detail? I generally just take photos of sitting still critters. (SX50) I'm not sure that continuous IS provides more than marginal extra help vs shoot only considering the battery drain that it causes.

Neil sure is taking some nice photos. I am starting to wonder if some of the reviews I've read are in error. Of course $550 is not a quick decision.

Hey CF,
RB Fly = Red-breasted Flycatcher. Guess you guys'd call it RBFL ;)
IS set to 'Shoot Only' is impossible to use to get a pic of a small, fast-moving bird, esp at long zoom. The image is bobbing about and shuddering through the viewfinder. Hitting the IS button on the barrel will stabilize it but is of no use when the bird sits still so little. Put it back onto 'Continuous' and you can follow the bird with minimal (if any) camera shake and can take a decent pic. Not used the 50 so can only speak of the 60, and it almost transforms the camera.
I agree that if taking pics of a slow-moving bird, eg a heron etc, then you could prob get away with it on 'Shoot Only'

Lovely shots Adam, and very encouraging as these look more like the kind of situations that I'm likely to be trying to take shots in. Birding "on the hoof" "shots - I particularly love the first RB fly shot - I'd be more than chuffed with it. I'm guessing (hoping) that these are handheld? Can you give us some details about focal length and any settings you are finding useful.
Incidentally going all the way back to your starling shots can you give us the same details - handheld etc? I hardly need to ask if the IS "turbo" button was used!

Cheers,

Phil

Cheers Phil,
The shots were taken in P-mode and were handheld (and 'auto smart fixed' in PS). With the above IS setting (continuous) there's no need for the 'turbo' button to be used with closer subjects (I guess the Fly was c20-30ft away? And the light wasn't great for any but the gull) but is very useful when max-zooming distant subjects...in fact probably compulsory to use it.
For BiFs I find this camera alot easier to get nbetter results than the 40 that's for sure, and the burst mode is pretty good too...byt again, like any of the superzooms, bad light will affect the results moreso than a dslr.....
Not sure of any of the details as to be perfectly honest I ain't gotta a clue about f-stops and aperture speeds etc! ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back