• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

House sparrows are not shy (1 Viewer)

ElCucuy

I held my hand out of the window with some multi seed and they started eating right out of my hand lol these birds are sweet

House sparrows are not sweet. Talk to Bluebird lovers about them. Chicadees are sweet. And they'll eat out of your hand. And they don't kill other birds.

House sparrows are not sweet. Talk to Bluebird lovers about them. Chicadees are sweet. And they'll eat out of your hand. And they don't kill other birds.

My appreciation for house sparrows really seems to have triggered you, leviticus.. My most deep and sincere apologies for calling them sweet :-O I can see I really crossed the line there with you.. :-O

Lol. Go see a shrink.

House Wrens do the same—kill the nestlings of other species—so I guess they’re not “sweet” either according to your simplistic notions of good and evil in the natural world?

Last edited:
House Sparrows are such intelligent birds. I remember being at the Scottish cost in a car park on a cold windy day eating sandwiches. These House Sparrows were moving along the line of cars, hovering in front of car windscreens assessing whether people were eating sandwiches and seeing if they could get any scraps.

Last edited:

I have never heard of house sparrows killing other birds in the UK. Where on earth does this come from? I have never seen them act aggressively towards other birds except other house sparrows, and even that isn't common.

And quite frankly, birds killing other birds is pretty standard. Birds are not 'sweet'.

Last edited:
House Sparrows are such intelligent birds. I remember being at the Sottish cost in a car park on a cold windy day eating sandwiches. These House Sparrows were moving along the line of cars, hovering in front of car windscreens assessing whether people were eating sandwiches and seeing if they could get any scraps.

i mean that right there is a true testament that really shows the brightness of the magnificent house sparrow

I have never heard of house sparrows killing other birds in the UK. Where on earth does this come from? I have never seen them act aggressively towards other birds except other house sparrows, and even that isn't common.

And quite frankly, birds killing other birds is pretty standard. Birds are not 'sweet'.

true. but man the way they were looking at me while pecking at the seed in my hand was cute and sweet looking lol. they wouldnt let me pet them loll

I have never heard of house sparrows killing other birds in the UK. Where on earth does this come from?
America. I'm guessing it's because of the different ecosystem over there, and the native birds not being used to this species. I've read about House Sparrows (and starlings) killing/evicting the local competitors multiple times, including here on BF. So yeah, I can understand why people over there don't like them. I don't like invasive species either. It's context, not principle. I'm sure the guy you quoted has nothing against sparrows in the UK.

I held my hand out of the window with some multi seed and they started eating right out of my hand lol these birds are sweet

How did you do this? Were there no other options for food for them except your hand? Or did they choose to eat out of your hand, even with access to your feeders (if you have feeders, I mean)?

You are officially a Disney Princess.

hate it but cant fade it :king:

How did you do this? Were there no other options for food for them except your hand? Or did they choose to eat out of your hand, even with access to your feeders (if you have feeders, I mean)?

Yeah, my feeders were fully loaded. they just seem to be inquisitive birds. I noticed some will post by the window and just sit there so it wasnt difficult. just gotta be patient and stay still

I have never heard of house sparrows killing other birds in the UK.

They don't, it's a North America thing, they're fine in the UK. They are an introduced species here, introduced around 100 years ago, only around three or four of them, and they have taken over the entire continent and are a nuissance. As an introduced species they have no natural predators and thus are totally out of control.

Of course birds kill birds, that's essential to population control. Population control doesn't apply to house sparrows in North America.

My appreciation for house sparrows really seems to have triggered you, leviticus.. My most deep and sincere apologies for calling them sweet :-O I can see I really crossed the line there with you.. :-O

Lol. Go see a shrink.

My shrink has not been able to help me with the house sparrows.

Hi,

As an introduced species they have no natural predators and thus are totally out of control.

Sure, I totally see how the Accipitridae on your side of the pond are thinking, "If it's not in Sibley's Birds of North America, 1880 edition, I'm not going to eat it!" :-D

Regards,

Henning

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back