• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

$100-$300 Binocular recommendation. (1 Viewer)

mskb

Hello Everyone,

Great forums you have got here, and I learnt a lot reading through various posts. I am a new member, generally interested in wildlife photography (some photos here: www.500px.com/mskumar), and currently looking to add a budget-range 8x42 binocular to my kit for scouting and birding purposes.

Reading through the forums, I see the following seem to be good options in a $100-$300 budget range for an 8x42 size? (I am not looking to increase the budget anymore than $300, and would ideally like to pick the one with the best value for money. )

Athlon Optics Midas ED
Zeiss Terra ED
Nikon Monarch 5
Vanguard Endeavor ED
Vortex Diamondback (is not having ED glass an issue with the Vortex here?)

I am generally looking for a waterproof, reliable, good quality optics binocular. The outdoor stores near me do not have all these options for me to try out, so I thought of posting to this forum and seek advice based on your experience. Could you share what you would pick among these five, and also point to any additional models within this price range that you might recommend? Thanks!

Last edited:
It would be our pleasure to discuss this with you. Both Athlon and Hawke have some great options in your price range

No. Here is the Vanguard Endeavor ED II Binocular with Premium HOYA ED Glass for $329.00 on Amazon.com.

https://www.amazon.com/Vanguard-End...-1-spell&keywords=Vanguard+Endeavor+EDII+8x42

@denco, following your post, I have been researching more deeply on the Ed2. Sorry if you/others have answered the following question before - if you would rather point me to a few links, that should help greatly too.

What makes you want to pick the Endeavor ED2 over the Nikon Monarch 5 & the Midas? Midas seems to get rave reviews on Amazon, but Outdoorgear lab reviews trashed it basically (https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/camping-and-hiking/best-binoculars) citing it is only marginally better than the $140 value Celestron Nature DX. Outdoorgear lab also recommends Monarch over the Vanguard (except when the latter is on sale prices), citing brightness and greenish tint issues. They also give very low rankings to Zeiss Terra citing low brightness, which has also been noted here in the forums by a user. On the other hand, there are so many posts in the forum recommending the Terra too. So totally confused all around! First time buying binos, and wow, this is almost like my first time deciding on a camera body.

( I should mention though I loved Vortex designs, if only I could afford the Viper HD! It seems to me, from what I have read so far, Vortex's relatively lower priced models like the diamondback does not compare well to the optical qualities of the Monarch / the Vanguards .... )

Last edited:
I have tried most of those binoculars except the Midas. I liked the Vanguard Endeavor ED2 the best. Also, Allbinos which is one of the more trusted review sites because they actually use objective testing instead of just subjective ranked it 8th in the 8x42 category. Click on the links to read the reviews. Here is a nice Nikon Monarch 7 in 8x42 for $350.00 on Ebay on the bottom link. The Nikon Monarch 7 is a nice binocular also for $350.00.

https://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-8x42.html
https://www.allbinos.com/278-binoculars_review-Vanguard_Endeavor_ED_II_8x42.html
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Mona...085246?hash=item3b176cedfe:g:MdwAAOSwO~5bZSHw

Last edited:
Msk,

I've not seen the Athlon, or the latest Chinese made version of the Diamondback so I can't comment on those, but I know the other three/four quite well. Which would work best for you will probably depend on your priorities.

I usually put sharpness top of my list. For me the Terra would be out of the running. I've seen one realy sharp sample, a couple more I could get along with and at least 8 I'd call rubbish. Yet if you check the reviews a large majority seem more than happy with the sharpness.

I've seen fewer Nikon Monarch 5s but they were sharper than most of the Terras. The colour was pretty good and the light weight would take some beating. But, If the field of view is your priority, give it a miss.

The Vanguard ED is pretty sharp and the fov better than the Monarch. It's CA control is probably not the best on the list, but I suspect it's the colour that will divide opinion. It has silver mirrored prisms rather than the dielectric of the others. It means it typically is stronger at the red end of the spectrum than the blue compared to the others. Some might say the contrast is better but doesn't seem as bright. Both comments are slightly misleading technically, but impressions translate as preferences.

If flat views and sharp edges are your thing then the Endeavour EDII is easily the best. It is sharp and the CA control above average but the FoV is average and It still has the silver coatings. Optically I'd rate it as the best performer in the lineup. I actually own one, but it's not amongst my favourite binoculars. At my slightly narrow 63mm IPD I just can't find a comfortable grip. The tension in my hands means I can't hold it as steady as some of the others. Others seem very happy with it.

Apologies if I've just added to your confusion. The best answer is to get to a store and find out for yourself what suites you.

Last edited:
Thanks @typo for the detailed response, and it definitely helps! It is pretty clear to me that I have to go to a few stores to try these out myself.

I am definitely looking for as much brightness and contrast as I can within the budget, as I do want to use them for scouting before sunrise/post-sunset times for photography/birding. If this means, for the budget, trading off color/other sharpness attributes, that's certainly okay!

At this point, I am just not sure how much of a restriction the relatively narrower field of view from the Monarchs is for me. When I think about it, what is the use of having larger angle of views, only to have a significant portion of it blurry/CAd around the edges? It is definitely worth making a couple hour drives to the stores to experience these products before making a purchase.

I am fairly clear now that I should strike the TerraED off my list. You mention your experiences with the Monarch7. I was wondering if you have any experience with the relatively more budget friendly Monarch5 too? And perhaps some thoughts on it relative to the EndeavorED2?

Based on consistent feedback from most, and yours and @denco's posts here, I am leaning towards the ED2/Monarch 5, but also to want to check the Midas & the super-cool-awesomest-looking-Vortexes in store; the rave Amazon customer reviews in both cases are just making me curious.

Msk,

Another of my typos I'm afraid. :eek!: My comments in #9 were for the Monarch 5, which I've corrected. The M7 is a couple of oz heavier with a much wider view than the M5. I've never been at ease with the M7 view. I find there is some distortion that spoils it for me. The M7 8x30 seems better in that regard. So the 5M view might be a little claustrophobic, but what you get is quite pleasing.

David

Msk,

Another of my typos I'm afraid. :eek!: My comments in #9 were for the Monarch 5, which I've corrected. The M7 is a couple of oz heavier with a much wider view than the M5. I've never been at ease with the M7 view. I find there is some distortion that spoils it for me. The M7 8x30 seems better in that regard. So the 5M view might be a little claustrophobic, but what you get is quite pleasing.

David

Thanks David! That helps!

Yes. Fully transferable. Your welcome. The Vortex Viper HD 8x32 is very nice. I had one. The newer Vortex's are made in China but this one is made in Japan which IMO is better.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/content/vip_warranty

You have been very helpful @denco! I researched this 8x32 model after you had posted. I had a question because you owned it already; is the x32 model here noticeably dimmer in low light conditions than the x42 versions of the Monarch/ED2 models listed above? I ask because scouting in early morning and late evening lights is fairly important to me, so want the best bang for buck if possible within budget .

Thanks again ... !

mask: there is a pair of Leupold Pro Guide 8x42s on the classifieds section here for
$280. That's a screaming deal for a pair of Japanese made binos that retail for over $500. The best deal I see online now is for $449. I have owned a pair of the previous edition that were very nice and imho much nicer than anything on your list. I have checked all of those out. The Leupolds are a whole class above all of those. Of your list I would agree the Vanguards have the best optics but the pair I bought had such poor build quality i sent them back immediately. Maybe I just had a bad pair but the eyecups were loose and wouldn't stay up, focus wheel sticky and hinge super loose. I've also owned the Japanese Vipers and they are nice, just not as nice as the Leupolds. I don't think you would be disappointed with the Leupolds but I would suggest talking with seller directly via phone before buying. That's the same advice i would give for buying any used glasses.

You have been very helpful @denco! I researched this 8x32 model after you had posted. I had a question because you owned it already; is the x32 model here noticeably dimmer in low light conditions than the x42 versions of the Monarch/ED2 models listed above? I ask because scouting in early morning and late evening lights is fairly important to me, so want the best bang for buck if possible within budget .

Thanks again ... !
There would probably be about 2 minutes at sunset when the 8x42 would have an advantage or a under a jungle canopy perhaps.

mask: there is a pair of Leupold Pro Guide 8x42s on the classifieds section here for
$280. That's a screaming deal for a pair of Japanese made binos that retail for over $500. The best deal I see online now is for $449. I have owned a pair of the previous edition that were very nice and imho much nicer than anything on your list. I have checked all of those out. The Leupolds are a whole class above all of those. Of your list I would agree the Vanguards have the best optics but the pair I bought had such poor build quality i sent them back immediately. Maybe I just had a bad pair but the eyecups were loose and wouldn't stay up, focus wheel sticky and hinge super loose. I've also owned the Japanese Vipers and they are nice, just not as nice as the Leupolds. I don't think you would be disappointed with the Leupolds but I would suggest talking with seller directly via phone before buying. That's the same advice i would give for buying any used glasses.

Thank you very much @Upland, and it is quite surprising that Vanguards seem to beat Nikon Monarch 5's optics.

I have never read much about Leupold s! Okay, let me research that too before contacting the seller.

So here goes....If I have $300 to spend TODAY:

1. Vanguard Endeavor ED II 8X42- B&H Photo will email you their best price...probably a good saving. Has proven itself to me to be a quality instrument and excellent optics at the price point. Nice focus adjustment too.

2. Optcron T4 Trailfinder WP 8X42- Pretty nice binocular! It has surprised me. Seems to be very well made with nice optics. Nice, smooth focus adjustment.

I have not DIRECTLY compared the two....I suppose I should. But for now I'll have to say the ED II has the best optics....the Opticron is a good bit lighter with handier ergonomics. Focus adjustment is great on both... I think either would a nice choice.

Attachments

• IMG_1140.jpg
    IMG_1140.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC_0178.JPG
    DSC_0178.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 58
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back