• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Galway Birding (local patch) (3 Viewers)

Breffni
I assume you meant Rusheen bay I am not aware a hide at Rahasane Turlough. I will try to get some photos either this evening or tomorrow.
Tom
PS
Just made a correction to my last post regarding the Iceland Gull thanks to Derek Charles. 1st winter not a 2nd winter Iceland Gull

Thanks Tom:- Its been a few years but i think it is at rahasane. The hide is on the wrong side of the turlough for viewing birds. It is made of flat shale in a semicircular design on the east side of the turlough. I dont think it is generally used for birdwatching (though there is certainly plenty of evidence of other usage). The reason for the request is that i have an agreement locally to put in something in stone (not wood) at carlingford and am looking for some photos of sympathetic stone hides for the council.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I have never heard of a stone hide at Rahasane (that doesn't mean that there isn't one). The man to ask would be Pete Capsey, he is there every other weekend. Pete is a way this week but I can drop him an email to see if he know of it or has photos.

I assume that you mean it's on the "Nort East" side of the turlough. This is mostly private lands and I have never been there but as suggested there is plenty of activity visible on that side- I am particularly fond of the token burnt out car visible there!

:t:

Breffni,

There is a stone hide at Belclare Turlough near Tuam.
Pretty much impossible to use a scope comfortably in it but its there.
It might be the kind of thing you're after. Perhaps you're aware of it already.
I don't have any pictures of it but maybe someone does.

By the way a man from Tuam cleans it up and maintains it. Fair play to him. Its a thankless task. Plenty of evidence of the other uses you mention. Someone even tried to burn it down recently but they failed. An advantage of stone hides I suppose

Tom

The roof of the hide is some kind of plastic sheeting if I remember rightly. Don't know if this makes any difference to you.

Last edited:
Tom, that sounds like it and sorry for the confusion. I remember a large turlough with many wildfowl at the west end and a school on higher ground to the south. And indeed the configuration of windows and benches made it barely usable, not to mention the setting sun in your eyes and the birds about hald a mile away! But any photos of this structure inside and out would be very much appreciated!

John
Swift was 154 on the 6th May by Tim Griffin in Knocknacarra.
Someone out there must have seen a Barn Owl still missing of the list.

Breffni
If your trying to convince the local authority to build a stone hide I would not be inclined to show them photos of the hide at Belclare. My recollection is that this hide is a block and plastered shed and not up to good standards based on todays criteria. Is your proposed hide to have a roof, the reason I ask is the hide at Rusheen is an open curved low stone wall. Picture attached gives an indication of the height. I can take a few shots tomorrow and a few dimension to give you an indication of what is there.
Tom

Attachments

• plaque01.jpeg
    plaque01.jpeg
    40 KB · Views: 145
On bird hides Belclare or otherwise. The history of the Belalare hide goes back 25 years. We did it with a FAS scheme and it was originally the inspiration of Gordon D'Arcy. I agree that the light is not good and it is useless fro telescopes. The Rostaff hide is better although it is merely a wood structure although again not much use for telescopes. Both hides pre dated the common use of these now indespensible aids to goo birdwatching. Petty vandalism and general mess has been a costant problem and a proper headache. That is why a Rusheen we opted for just wall 'hides'. Think long and hard before puttnng up roofed hides. In Ireland they have not worked out well unless in a supervised contextas at Wexford Slobs.
Neil

Photos of both hides Belclare Turlough and Rusheen Bay. Belclare is roofed and a stone structure not a plastered structure (thats the memory failing again). Rusheen has two low wall hides. One facing south and the other facing west so you can alternate between the two when sun is not favourable.

Tom

PS
Breffni hope the photos I sent were ok.

Attachments

• belclare a.jpg
    belclare a.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 141
  • DSCN2042 150508 A.jpg
    DSCN2042 150508 A.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
On bird hides Belclare or otherwise. The history of the Belalare hide goes back 25 years. We did it with a FAS scheme and it was originally the inspiration of Gordon D'Arcy. I agree that the light is not good and it is useless fro telescopes. The Rostaff hide is better although it is merely a wood structure although again not much use for telescopes. Both hides pre dated the common use of these now indespensible aids to goo birdwatching. Petty vandalism and general mess has been a costant problem and a proper headache. That is why a Rusheen we opted for just wall 'hides'. Think long and hard before puttnng up roofed hides. In Ireland they have not worked out well unless in a supervised contextas at Wexford Slobs.
Neil

Agreed on the difficulty of keeping hides in one piece Neil. The ones at Lough Boora are a total shambles due to a few people drinking etc in them. The one at Ashton's Callow is fairly unscathed probably because its a bit of a trek to get to it. Maybe some kind of a system where people get keys for a particular hide from a keyholder would be an idea. Or perhaps regular visitors could have their own. Just a suggestion.

Breffni you were a bit out of the way if you twitched that Black Tern at Belclare ;)

Just to say that I think that Gordon D'Arcy’s inspiration for the hide at Belclare was a head of its time and a brilliant idea. I think that with some well though out modifications it can still be an excellent hide for the future.

I have been asked a question regarding the hide a Rusheen and that is ‘what improvements, changes or additions would be made to the hide if any if starting over again.’

Does anyone out there now of the ideal hide on this scale. I asked this question before and Dermot Breen mention the one in Belfast, which might be too large in this case.

What is the list of criteria that an ideal hide should achieve.

Any reports from anyone at the National Dawn Chorus Day event at Dangan Sunday Morning.

Last edited:
Hello all.

I was in bed for the Dawn chorus Tom, so will not comment- shame on me. Was in Sligo for the week-end and managed to see nothing.

Damn those family week-ends!!!!!

On another note, I witness a van on the N6 this morning completly smash a wood pigeon. The poor thing flew across the road and got whacked. Amazingly it survived and preformed a dramatic dog fight like rolling tumble before jetting off into a field. I have never seen such an explosion of feathers since I witnessed a truck in South Africa wipe out 5 cape turtle doves about 2years ago.

Terrible to think that I am reporting this but I just wanted to hightlight the amount of Birds killed on our roads. I seen a dead Heron on the same stretch last year.

What is the list of criteria that ideal hide should achieve.

The subject is an important one - if you go up north you can find dozens of high quality hides and walkways through nature reserves of various kinds. Oxford Island, Quoyle, Strangford lough and elsewhere. I have always found these to be well maintained, clean and useful in terms of birdwatching. How is it that down south we can't seem to acheive this?

So i would identify the following criteria:
- the hide must be within 10 or 20 metres of birds (at some point in the tidal cycle if on an estuary)
- it must be distant from pubs or places where people gather
- it must be difficult to access at night
- it must ideally be non-inflammable
- funding for the hide should include adequate maintenance and wardening
- its design should facilitate scopes, cameras, children, seating, small groups (one great thing to do with a hide is to bring groups of school kids)
- it should be of a sympathetic design in keeping with local environment
- there should be adequate screening so that birds are not distrubed when entering or leaving
- it should be located in a bird sanctuary (otherwise it will be used by hunters)
- its use should not disturb birds
- it should ideally be north facing to avoid glare
- there should be parking nearby
- in terms of design, where only limited funding is available or its too proximate to people/pubs, a wall similar to the john d'arcy one would be a substitute but i woudl have thought longer, more curved, slats at 3 ft and at 5 ft to facilitate both kids, seated watchers and scopes, and possibly even a curved rounded design like a grotto or half-beehive and with a bench....

I am going to try to get something like the latter built at carlingford, maybe using railway sleepers.

Thahnks again for the photos!

Very thorough reply Breffni. Great points made. I think the longevity of the Hide at Ashton's callow is due to it being far away from groups of people down a fairly long and generally muddy track.

Tom,
Do we have Spotted Flycatcher on the list? Chris has it up on the website in the recent sightings section. I didn't see it by the way. The Whinchat sighting was by me on Tower Callow. Think its been mixed up with the spot fly sighting near Tuam.
I haven't seen spot fly yet this year. Does anybody think they're declining?

Breffni you have set out the bare bones of an excellant brief which should lead to a well though out hide. Good luck with the project.

County list
158-Spotted Flycatcher ( 11th May Tuam Mark O'Mahony)

Tom I think Spotted Flycatcher are very scare in Galway. I seen one last year in the Menlo area and have yet to see one this year. It also depends on what part of the country your in and that can be said for a few species. In Waterford last week there was a report of 13 Spotted Flycatcher. Here in Galway there appears to be a big influx of Whitethroat compared to last year.

John you will have to get the family involved or you should have join the Dawn Chorus in SilgoB :). I did not make the event in Dangan as I was on family duty also.

I completed my very first Timed Tetrad visit during the week (thanks Mr. Brosnabirder for assisting me).

A very pleasent experience indeed. I was stumbling a bit at first with over trying to confirm breeding but its actually much easier than I thought. A bit of basic fieldwork skills and anyone could do it.

I will bring a clipboard next time as I feel this will help me in taking notes, as apposed to my Tescos Jotter notebook which looks the part but is about as useful as John Terry in a penalty shoot-out. (Yes I am a Utd fan)

But seriously, a very enjoyable experience. Nothing too hectic to report but nice to be in tune with all the species and not just after the twitch. A great way too of getting to know your local area.

Well done to all involved-and the rest of ye get off yer arses! B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back