• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shooting of endangered Curlew BANNED! (1 Viewer)

Ptarmi

Dick Glasgow
"The curlew has been red-listed as a globally threatened species by the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) since 2007."

Yet Ireland has actually been SHOOTING them each November, since then! .. this idiocy beggars belief! :C

OK they have now banned shooting, but am I the only person that thinks just maybe, they left it far too feckin' late, before acting! :C

Clearly, America isn't the only country, where the Gun Lobby has far, far too much control & everyone by the short & curlies! :C

Shooting of endangered Curlew BANNED!

Cheers,
Dick

Huge changes in the uplands, such as the destruction of peat bogs, afforestation, more intensive management of farmland and the abandonment of some lands, leading to encroachment by scrub, gorse and dense rushes, have all affected Curlew breeding habitat. In the lowlands, drainage of wetlands and intensive management of grasslands have destroyed much of their habitat.
From Birdwatch Ireland site. Unless those problems are solved it won't matter about the hunting ban. Unfortunately with the amount of money spent on conservation in Ireland (North and South) I don't see much hope and Irish breeding Curlews are doomed.

"The curlew has been red-listed as a globally threatened species by the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) since 2007."

Yet Ireland has actually been SHOOTING them each November, since then! .. this idiocy beggars belief! :C

OK they have now banned shooting, but am I the only person that thinks just maybe, they left it far too feckin' late, before acting! :C

Clearly, America isn't the only country, where the Gun Lobby has far, far too much control & everyone by the short & curlies! :C

Shooting of endangered Curlew BANNED!

Cheers,
Dick

Thats a pretty Extreme bit of Finger pointing..!! Id be interested to know have you anything to back up your post and be able to tell me how many Curlew are Shot in Ireland each year ect..?

Seems like a random outburst to me without any real evidence.!!

As a Wildfowler for over 30yrs' i could count on one hand the number of Curlew I shot.And I no for a fact very few shooters nowadays include them in their bag. Any wader' or wildfowl that was in any sort of danger' wildfowlers/shooting people would be the first to act on it.

The shooting fraternity,fishermen are the true Guardians of the countryside and take "A hands on Approach to Conservation".

And comparing "Irelands "So called Gun lobby to America 's is also a bit far out there.

Of Course you are entitled to your opinion' but at the end of the day.."Thats All it is' an opinion.

The shooting fraternity,fishermen are the true Guardians of the countryside and take "A hands on Approach to Conservation".

Whilst alot of members of the Shooting fraternity do good conservation work. There alot of bad eggs as well. The eradication of Hen Harrier in England for example, or raptor pesecution in Ireland.

Whilst alot of members of the Shooting fraternity do good conservation work. There alot of bad eggs as well. The eradication of Hen Harrier in England for example, or raptor pesecution in Ireland.

I agree with you 100%..Unfortunately there are some who are classed as "cowboy Shooters" who Give proper Shooting men a Bad name. It is hard to eradicate this type of person' But Gunclubs do What they can to try and Educate these Morons.

I find the biggest threat to raptors in Ireland are the P* F*

I can look out my window most days and see Buzzards galore' and now and again a "windhover" kestrel' and i have also made Nest boxes for them and Sparrow hawks are Common. The True shooting man loves to see Birds of prey.

And comparing "Irelands "So called Gun lobby to America 's is also a bit far out there.

Of Course you are entitled to your opinion' but at the end of the day.."Thats All it is' an opinion.

I can't help feeling that your final comment might equally be applied to your first one.

However, I wholly agree with you that any comparison with the odious American gun lobby is absurd in the extreme. Irish shooters have neither the power nor finance of the NRA. They are certainly do not bear responsibility for the number of human deaths that can be arguably laid at the NRA's door,

I can't help feeling that your final comment might equally be applied to your first one.

Thats a fair enough Comment' that I will accept.

However I will not post anything that I am not able to back up' and "without going into detail" The Shooting fraternity has and will continue to be hands on Conservationists.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back