• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (48 Viewers)

as it's back to the Future day. I have been looking through my note books for 1985.
To give you a taste of things gone by.
Autumn at the FLASHES was good for waders.
There were 20 Species .
This included :- Wilson's Phalarope. temmincks Stint late October. Knot. spotted redshank. wood sand. Greenshank. little Stint. Curlew sand 7. Curlew 119. lapwing 2000. Green sand 14.
just half of these would be great these days:-C

Last edited:
Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Yellow-legged Gull (1w) @18.15-----Teal (107)
Gadwall (2m+f)----------------------Shoveler (81) a.m, but c50 at the Moors and c50 at the Flashes p.m.
Lapwing (305)------------------------Curlew (13)
Snipe (1)-----------------------------Meadow Pipit
Grey Wagtail-------------------------Raven (2)
Cetti's Warbler-----------------------Peregrine
Herring Gull (4)----------------------L B B Gull (9)
B H Gull (c300)----------------------Stonechat reported mid-morning.

MOORS
Wigeon (2)---------------------------Teal (10)
Pochard (2m)------------------------Snipe (1)
Siskin (3)----------------------------Redpoll (8)
Coal Tit (2)--------------------------Cetti's Warbler (5)
Redwing (c25)-----------------------Fieldfare (c20)
Kestrel-------------------------------Cormorant (19)
L B B Gull (12)-----------------------Herring Gull (3)
Water Rail (2)------------------------Goldcrest

SAILING POOL:
Siskin (8)----------------------------Kingfisher
G C Grebe (4)------------------------Cormorant (1)

Des.

Last edited:
Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Yellow-legged Gull (1w) @18.15-----Teal (107)
Gadwall (2m+f)----------------------Shoveler (81) a.m, but c50 at the Moors and c50 at the Flashes p.m.
Lapwing (305)------------------------Curlew (13)
Snipe (1)-----------------------------Meadow Pipit
Grey Wagtail-------------------------Raven (2)
Cetti's Warbler-----------------------Peregrine
Herring Gull (4)----------------------L B B Gull (9)
B H Gull (c300)----------------------Stonechat reported mid-morning.

MOORS
Wigeon (2)---------------------------Teal (10)
Pochard (2m)------------------------Snipe (1)
Siskin (3)----------------------------Redpoll (8)
Coal Tit (2)--------------------------Cetti's Warbler (5)
Redwing (c25)-----------------------Fieldfare (c20)
Kestrel-------------------------------Cormorant (19)
L B B Gull (12)-----------------------Herring Gull (3)
Water Rail (2)------------------------Goldcrest

SAILING POOL:
Siskin (8)----------------------------Kingfisher
G C Grebe (4)------------------------Cormorant (1)

Des.

Looks like an influx of cormorant, teal, lapwing, pochard and wigeon since yesterday.

Double figures in Staffs at JCB lake - up to 18 in 2011 for example.

Cheers Tom - hadn't trawled through all the WMBC annual reports subsequent to the publication of "The new Birds of the West Midlands". Do they breed at all in Staffs? Am pretty sure that nine remains the record flock for the County.

Last edited:
as it's back to the Future day. I have been looking through my note books for 1985.
There were 20 Species .
This included :- Wilson's Phalarope. temmincks Stint late October. Knot. spotted redshank. wood sand. Greenshank. little Stint. Curlew sand 7. Curlew 119. lapwing 2000. Green sand 14.

5 new species there for me in one go. Can see now what you mean when you compare recent days to those days.

There were 20 Species .

I think there was a lot more mud and less water in those days and of course hardly any reeds.

Information Required

Can anyone provide me with clear evidence that The Flashes were caused by subsidence and that they are subsiding.
Many thanks.
Phil E

What was the summer warbler count like n the days of no reeds.

Reed warblers at Flashes were none existent. The reeds colonized the Hen Pool 1st and 3 pairs from c1991 and rising ever since to about 7 pairs . On the 1st flash from 2005ish when the 1st reeds were established birds bred. Only a few breed in the 3rd Flash, even though there are large stands of phragmites. This is because only a small amount of the reed beds are in water, most of them are on dry land.
Sedge warbler were more common as were grasshopper warbler. Cetti's have colonised but that's not soley as a result of he reeds.

A very cold southerly wind made it feel like winter and the number of winter thrushes reflected this.
Started off with a walk around the North Moors, where several redwing fed along the east side, smaller numbers of song thrushes were amongst them with a couple also singing. But generally things were quiet other than a singing Cetti's and 6 tufted feeding on the pool.

From here I met AH from the Trust at the Flashes to discuss the ongoing survey work.
Here good numbers of thrushes (all 5 species) fed in the old orchard to the east and later many fed in our hedgerows on the western and southern boundaries.
Also giving a good show, were finches (6 species) in the same hedges as well as tits, reed bunting and a green woodpecker.
The lagoons were quiet with just the expected teal and lapwings dominating.
Species count Flashes:
Teal 50+, lapwing c300, coot 10, water rail, green woodp, stock dove 20+, cetti's w 2, redwing 400+, fieldfare 12, mistle thrush 2, song thrush 3, redpoll 32, greenfinch, chaffinch 3, bullfinch 4, goldfinch 40, linnet 6, reed bunting 8
overhead - sklark, siskin, meadow pipit 2.

Sailing pool: GCG 4 ( 2juvs), tufted 4,

MOORS: Back to the Moors, birding from the west hide. Where immediately the present of the dog otter was given away by the coot flock running across the water. It duly performed well for Bill B, this being his first sighting. There was a small increase in coot and tufted numbers and a couple of wigeon appeared.
Species count Moors:
Little grebe 6, cormorant 20, mute swan pr + 2 juvs, shoveler c80, teal 25, wigeon 2, tufted 27, coot 330, water rail 3, curlew 11, snipe, lapwing, kestrel, cetti's 2,
Feeding station: coal tit 2, redpoll 5 close by reed bunting 8, plus greenfinch, bullfinch and the usual.

Yesterday's count of 340 Coot at the Moors Pool and Flashes (with potentially further uncounted birds on the Sailing Pool John?) was the reserve's highest number since 360 were present on the 24th October 2009.

Yesterday's count of 340 Coot at the Moors Pool and Flashes (with potentially further uncounted birds on the Sailing Pool John?) was the reserve's highest number since 360 were present on the 24th October 2009.

Yes Phil there the usual numbers on Sailing pool 6 min. probably more on Flashes.. .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back