Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
ZEISS Summer Savings - Experience unique moments of nature. Save up to £250 on selected ZEISS Binoculars - limited time only!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Feeder visited bt a Bear

Old Thursday 27th April 2017, 14:01   #1
dwolf
Birdman of Plaza

Feeder visited bt a Bear

We are heartbroken... We have two feeders in our kitchen window. It gives us so much joy. Last night after dark we witnessed a bear attempt to pull the feeders down. He/She broke the catch trays, took the suet and bent the hook. This morning it was sad to see all our feathered friends show up to NOTHING !!! Now I realize a lot of bird lovers take them down in the spring and summer so they too all miss out of the warm weather joy of seeing the birds and what new types appear. Everything I read said, time to take them down. We have a fenced in yard for our dog which keeps the dog in but not the bear out so his safety is a huge concern. He's a Golden and I'm not sure what he would do if he saw it. I know the bear would run but would the dog too ?? That I hope we don't find out.

One thing I read that some do is put the feeders up during the day and take them down at night. That would give us joy but with all the seed droppings I don't know if we are looking for trouble ??

Another thought was to do the daytime thing but move the feeders outside the fenced in yard...

Any thoughts ?

Joel
Old Thursday 27th April 2017, 16:38   #2
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwolf View Post
We are heartbroken... We have two feeders in our kitchen window. It gives us so much joy. Last night after dark we witnessed a bear attempt to pull the feeders down. He/She broke the catch trays, took the suet and bent the hook. This morning it was sad to see all our feathered friends show up to NOTHING !!! Now I realize a lot of bird lovers take them down in the spring and summer so they too all miss out of the warm weather joy of seeing the birds and what new types appear. Everything I read said, time to take them down. We have a fenced in yard for our dog which keeps the dog in but not the bear out so his safety is a huge concern. He's a Golden and I'm not sure what he would do if he saw it. I know the bear would run but would the dog too ?? That I hope we don't find out.

One thing I read that some do is put the feeders up during the day and take them down at night. That would give us joy but with all the seed droppings I don't know if we are looking for trouble ??

Another thought was to do the daytime thing but move the feeders outside the fenced in yard...

Any thoughts ?

Joel
Speaking as a resident of a country not blessed with bears, I'm inclined to recommend taking up bear watching, but I recognise and accept your concerns. Hopefully some of your countrymen will have suggestions but it sounds like taking the summer off from feeding is the right thing.

John
Old Thursday 27th April 2017, 17:27   #3
BigWok

My thoughts are to take the feeders down at night, but Bears may learn to come during the day I suppose.
I had a similar situation, except for the Bears. I have a feeder hidden in the woods near my house where I go birding almost daily.
That feeder kept getting raided at night and during the day by Squirrels, Raccoons and Rats.

I solved my problem by using a "Lifelong Feeder" they are great and although I wouldn't say they are Bear proof they are really heavy duty. And if you take them down at night it might help or fix your situation.

Here is a link:
http://lifelongfeeders.com/

I use the optional Stainless steel hose clamp and quicklink they sell to attach it to a tree branch and I also use the Perch.
Bird love it and they are the only thing that can get to the Suet.

Plenty of teeth marks on the outside the feeder from attempts but the just cant get to it. Hope this helps
Old Monday 8th May 2017, 06:04   #4
Elmer Fudd

Although living in Germany and having no bears in my backyard or in the woods surrounding hour home I am very interested in bears and their behaviour. To get some more informations I a read almost everything about bears I can get my hand on. I would recommend to you this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Living-Bears-.../dp/0977372405

It's nicely written and very informative and will give you lots of hints and informations about your furry neighbors.
Old Saturday 24th August 2019, 22:49   #5
bcskr

We live in the mountains in bear country, and have to take all feeders down every night during spring (when yearling bears are trying to find food, and again in the fall when all bears are trying to gain weight for winter nap). It’s kind of a hassle, but better than finding damaged and ruined feeders in the morning.
Old Thursday 5th September 2019, 11:18   #6
Ruff
Two birds in one.

Even if you take down the feeders at night, there is no guarantee they won't visit in the daytime, particularly just before hibernation season where they are building up their fat reserve. I might suggest considering finding ways to suspend feeders in such a way that bears cannot reach them, which of course might in turn require buying different types from those you like. Anyway, here in Canada I believe most people with bear issues do sometimes take them in at night but most often take them down completely in the fall until the bears are safely asleep for the winter.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: