• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Websites and FTP (1 Viewer)

Richard Ford

BF Member
Can someone explan to me how to set this up properly.

If it helps my site is hosted by Lycos and i use Dreamweaver to construct my pages.

It is clearly possible to interact between the live site and the site on my PC, but despite trying i don't seem to have set it up properly.

Cheers

Rich

Unless you have someone with the same setup as you, more information would likely be necessary. Does Dreamweaver provide a configuration setting where you can enter your Lycos ftp address? I would suggest you go through the instructions provided and ask specific questions in the forum.

Hi Rich,

You have to define your site in Dreamweaver and enter the FTP address and the server's site folder where the pages have to be uploaded to. You will also need your Lycos user name and password.

What version of DW are you using? Are you using DW as the FTP client or some other software such as CuteFTP?

As Pete says, more info is required as to what procedures and avenues you have used already to try and get this working.

One site I built using DW4, I could not get the FTP to work so I had to use CuteFTP - same settings, password, everything in the site definition box, and it went online straight away. Don't know to this day why the Dreamweaver FTP wouldn't do it. I'm now using Dreamweaver MX and the site I uploaded the other day worked first time.

Diane.

Hi all

Thanks for helping

Maybe it is a Dreamweaver 4 issue then as that is the version I am using.

Here is what Lycos suggest.

Cheers

Richard

Attachments

• lyftp.jpg
    lyftp.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
And I assume this is were I do it in Dreamweaver.
(See attached)

I am not completely sure what I am doing, is what it is asking, but the remote access does not seem to work.

Perhaps I should try CuteFTP.
At the moment I upload each page individually, there must be an easier way!

(Sorry, not sure i could upload two files on one post)

Thanks all

Rich

Attachments

• ftp.jpg
    ftp.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
Rich,

The second post indicates the DW site definition panel and just needs the entries as given on the Lycos info from the first attachment. This is your host ftp address, host user name and password. The host directory is not always required. Obviously Lycos do not mention this, even though it is one of the fields in the DW box.

Just enter these details in the boxes and you should be OK.

And no, you don't have to do it one page at a time. Just click Shift or Ctrl and click to select all the files you want to upload and upload them together.

How did you upload the individual pages before?

Diane.

Thanks for trying to help Diane

I think i have done it right but when i go to the remote access page i get this.
Though at first it says "host found" and then....
(see attached)

At the moment i can use an online FTP thing, within Lycos were i can see all my files, delete them and edit the HTML etc.

I can upload multiple files, (8 at a time) but would only be able to delete them one at a time, and this only within one directory at a time.

I assume this, if it worked would give me a proper handshake between the web and my pc.

Regards

Rich

Attachments

• remote.jpg
    remote.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 247
Rich,

That was the exact error I was getting with DW4. If you're sure you've got everything set up correctly, as I was, I would try CuteFTP and see how you get on. You can download it at http://www.cuteftp.com/products/cuteftp/index.asp

You get 30 days free trial, but you can use it as often as you like. There are other completely free FTP programmes such as WS_FTP, but I've never used that one, although I've heard it's OK. It can be downloaded from http://www.ipswitch.com/.

Hope this helps you.

Diane.

I use Dreamweaver MX for web design, although I don't use its FTP functions at all.

As far as FTP goes, I used CrystalFTP. Like all FTP programs, it needs your webspace info, password and hard disk location for the files you need to upload. I do have the added complication of running two websites with two different ISPs. That means switching between one ISP and the other to upload files.

Not sure how Dreamweaver fairs as an FTP client, but if it's anything like the rest of the package, it can't be all that bad.

I'm now on Dreamweaver MX and the FTP works just fine. We use DW4 at work and the FTP on that works OK. I just had one niggle with DW4 on a site I was trying to upload from home - it just wouldn't work, as explained in an earlier post. Entered all the same details into CuteFTP and the files transferred straight away - mystery!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back